Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks does anyone using SPRINT AIRAVE ?
    I bought one last week, but my phone is not getting attached to the device.
    I donot have a great covereage for SPRINT around my town. So I thought this would be the best solution for me to use indoors.

The phone is not connected to this AIRAVE tower, it is still trying to find either a outside SPRINT tower or a VERIZON tower closeby.

Does anyone has experience with this thing ?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Airave has a special helpline number call that. They may need to set up something on their end. If not they will walk you through the process. I have one and it works great.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I returned mine. My phone lost it's signal 200 ft away from it. Worthless to me.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Airave has a special helpline number call that. They may need to set up something on their end. If not they will walk you through the process. I have one and it works great.
    ink,
    I have no issues once I force the phone to shut off and power on.
    But the issue is occational signal drop and switchover from SPRINT TOWER to
    AIRAVE is not seamless.
    Thanks I will call the special number
    Dial *99

Should fix it.
    I got mine for free through retentions, but paying $4.99 a month just to use my own broadband line that I already pay for to give my phone reception is stupid.

The monthly fee should not exist. So now, it's just sitting there.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Does it still use your airtime or is it unlimited considering your not using Sprints towers? Wife and I are thinking about canceling out home phone line and keeping just the DSL part, and just use our cell phones for calls. Saves us about $55 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I got mine for free through retentions, but paying $4.99 a month just to use my own broadband line that I already pay for to give my phone reception is stupid.

8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Does it still use your airtime or is it unlimited considering your not using Sprints towers? Wife and I are thinking about canceling out home phone line and keeping just the DSL part, and just use our cell phones for calls. Saves us about $55 a month.
    It uses regular plan airtime, if you want to have unlimitted calling while using AIRAVE then you have to pay extra per line. To me , I would not like to pay that extra 4.99 charge, cuz I am doing SPRINT a favor by buying the equipment.

I get super reception for VERIZON, but was still staying with SPRINT.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Agree with you Papped, there should be no monthly fee on this thing.
    I paid $ 100.00 for this equipment. I might return it if it fails to deliver the signal strength.
    Exactly, you are using up your own DSL/cable bandwidth. Sprint is not actually providing you with a service, just the hardware. Yet still $5 a month for the lifetime of your account AND to make things worse, the more popular this thing gets, the less likely Sprint is to put up towers.

So it has a negative effect overall.

There's some other quirks to it also:
    -If you are out of airave range or the call does not originate as airrave, it will not switch to airave even if you go back into range (but of course it does leave airave when you go out of range during an airave call).
    -If your broadband connection is slow (perhaps someone is hogging a lot of the bandwidth) it will result in choppy voice signal, as it still tries to use the crappy bandwidth that is available.
    -Of course if you don't restrict access to it by certain phone #'s, other Sprint users can openly use it just like they would Wifi for example, which uses up your bandwidth and it only supports 3 calls simultaneously.
    -Doesn't support high speed data. Most of the pda/smartphones people get now aren't just being used for voice calls. You're paying $5 a month and you can't even use your EVDO connection on your own broadband line, only voice. This might be ok if you primarily make phone calls, but if not...
    Last edited by papped; 09/18/2008 at 01:32 PM.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Dial *99

Should fix it.
    thanks Yirk,
    I will try it tonight
    Are all the lights blue?

the phone probably takes awhile to register with the Airave, I'm guessing. I know when I set our Airave in our house, my phone (800w) had full bars, but my mom's phone (V3m) didn't. I went in our basement, which was almost a dead zone, and didn't have full bars, so I ws disappointed. Strangly,a few hours later, I was playing with my mom's phone, and noticed she had full bars. I also noticed I had full bars in the basement with my phone.
    [QUOTE=papped;1499867]Exactly, you are using up your own DSL/cable bandwidth. Sprint is not actually providing you with a service, just the hardware. Yet still $5 a month for the lifetime of your account AND to make things worse, the more popular this thing gets, the less likely Sprint is to put up towers.
    QUOTE]

Of course they are providing you with a service. How do you think the call gets connected?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    So lets say you built your own Sprint tower, using your own network (which is basically what the airave is).

Because they connect your call to the Sprint network from the tower that justifies a monthly fee in addition to your existing monthly plan (which already connects to the Sprint network)? I could care less if other people want to pay it, but I won't (keep in mind I got the hardware itself for free and I still think this is a rip off, let alone having to pay $100 initial).
    Last edited by papped; 09/18/2008 at 02:36 PM.
    On a low end DSL line I can get very bad quality voice connection (worse than if I don't use the airave in this particular area) with 1 computer downloading (not uploading) and 1 phone talking. Again, it doesn't know that I would have a better signal in this case if it didn't use the airave, it just tries to use it regardless.

Now if you factor in a shared broadband scenario with 2-3 phone conversations going, I wonder...
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Are all the lights blue?

the phone probably takes awhile to register with the Airave, I'm guessing. I know when I set our Airave in our house, my phone (800w) had full bars, but my mom's phone (V3m) didn't. I went in our basement, which was almost a dead zone, and didn't have full bars, so I ws disappointed. Strangly,a few hours later, I was playing with my mom's phone, and noticed she had full bars. I also noticed I had full bars in the basement with my phone.
    crazie.eddie,

it took me a while to get all blue lights. First I didn't connect the GPS receiver. Then I sticked the GPS to the Window with a Magic Tape. After about 5 - 10 mins the blue lights came on. But I do have issues with it.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    On a low end DSL line I can get very bad quality voice connection (worse than if I don't use the airave in this particular area) with 1 computer downloading (not uploading) and 1 phone talking. Again, it doesn't know that I would have a better signal in this case if it didn't use the airave, it just tries to use it regardless.

Now if you factor in a shared broadband scenario with 2-3 phone conversations going, I wonder...
    Papped,
    Sure I agree 100% with you. We shouldn't be paying the extra dollars. If it was verizon , I didn't need the AIRAVE. Their signal is very strong even indoors.

Usually I have to reset the phone once inside the home to get connected to AIRAVE. Once connected to AIRAVE , if I leave home , the call is automatically switched to a SPRINT tower. But the otherway is not elegant.
    I noticed this for last few days , I was on a call while driving , then reach home , the call gets dropped. I have to force the settings of the phone or reset the phone.

We have two phones , and I noticed that while I am watching Sprint TV on one, my wife cannot make a voice call. This sucks.
    I am paying for the COMCAST broadband, I paid for the AIRAVE and I am also paying 5 dollars a month as service charge , yet I can't use the braodband capabilities.

I opened many tickets with SPRINT to boost signal strength in my area.
    Most of the time the phone looses the signal when switching from tower to tower. I thought AIRAVE will solve my issues , but "NO".

I am going to change my roaming settings to "ROAM ONLY" and get connected to that verizon tower.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ok one did you all RTFM? if u don't want to pay for it the 4.99 fee you don't have too. it will still work as a mini tower without it. The point of paying the 4.99 fee is while your connected to the airrave your calls are free. If you have an unlimited 99 plan then there is no point to pay the 4.99 fee.

btw the airrave wrks like 5ksq feet away ( I think not at wrk right now so don't hld me to the #) frm the device unless you live in a bedrock next to fred and barny you shouldn't have issues connecting
    $5 is only $5... if I did not get a good signal in say a basement, then paying $5 extra dollars would be worth it.

There are a lot more considerations than just "service." For example, when my cousin switched to verizon, we realized that now our minutes were being counted against us but when my cousin was on sprint, we had free mobile to mobile.

I think some only need "something" to complain about. Odd that sprint now offers the service and people complain it is not "free." Sprint providing "free" stuff and not being to afford support personnel is the reason why support sucks (for some).

Can't have everything... if you think so, build your own cell phone network and provide everything for free... see how far you get.

Sprint AIRAVE Pricing

Sprint AIRAVE Base Station - $99.99/each (requires activation at time of purchase and subscription to an AIRAVE plan. Excludes taxes.)

AIRAVE Enhanced Coverage Charge - $4.99/mo. (required per AIRAVE unit)**

Single Line Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $10/mo.**

Multi-Line Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $20/mo. per account*

I think the $10 a month is a deal for unlimited calling in a house... if you work from home or stay home all day (work nights)... if not, then sprint free minutes start at 7 pm anyway, along with free nights and weekends... not sure how much of a deal it would be for some.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So if you get good coverage in your house the Airave is pointless. Or pay $10 a month and get unlimited calling through the Airave.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast