Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just don't see the Pro coming to Sprint. I don't think Palm wants to compete with themselves with 2 devices. AT&T will get it in December according to wmexperts.com. So it looks like the GSM carriers will get it after all. They don't need CDMA now.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    You might want to check with a Corporate store. The local stores "hint" it will be available in mid October. Just repeating what I have heard from 2 different stores.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    You might want to check with a Corporate store. The local stores "hint" it will be available in mid October. Just repeating what I have heard from 2 different stores.
    As someone said before, methinks they're confusing "Treo Pro" with "Touch Pro"... and store reps--whether at corporate stores or dealers, regardless of carrier--tend to be woefully underinformed. At least here in the US. There are exceptions, yes. There's also the overwhelming majority that make them exceptions.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Just don't see the Pro coming to Sprint. I don't think Palm wants to compete with themselves with 2 devices. AT&T will get it in December according to wmexperts.com. So it looks like the GSM carriers will get it after all. They don't need CDMA now.
    Whether Sprint will get it--and when, if so--IMO, are 2 separate questions. Sprint may eventually get it as their replacement for the 800w. Or not. It's all still rumor for now.
    I think the point everyone is missing is the fact that Verizon has yet to release any version of a new Treo so it makes sense that they would pass on the 800w completely and pick up the Treo Pro instead. Sprint can keep the 800w which I understand is pretty inferior to the Pro.
    don't want to be off-topic,

but in my wait for news on treo pro cdma version from verizon, got this notification instead,

potential competitor..

http://estore.vzwshop.com/storm/?ema...-T2-SEP-BBST-3

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch57 View Post
    I think the point everyone is missing is the fact that Verizon has yet to release any version of a new Treo so it makes sense that they would pass on the 800w completely and pick up the Treo Pro instead. Sprint can keep the 800w which I understand is pretty inferior to the Pro.
    Smart move on Verizon's part. The 800w can't hold a candle to the Treo Pro.
    [QUOTE=PalmDM;1501684]don't want to be off-topic,

but in my wait for news on treo pro cdma version from verizon, got this notification instead,

potential competitor..

There's no question the new Blackberry is nice but for those of us Verizon customers who prefer and use WM devices, I'm one who is anxiously awaiting the new Treo...in whatever form it comes from Verizon. However, my patience is wearing thin and I may have to "jump ship" and go to Sprint just to get the better equipment although I'm not thrilled with what I'm hearing about the 800w, including next to none battery life. Personally, I'm watching the new HTC Touch which looks pretty nice but again, it's probably going to require a switch to Sprint which I'd rather avoid. Quite the dilemna!!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    WMExperts is reporting that Verizon will have the 800w on October 12.
    well, none so far for CDMA users for treo pro
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    I was just in my local Sprint store today. The rep excitedly told me they were getting the Treo Pro on October 19th if there were no delays. She said the price would be $300 after discounts and rebates. We must have been talking about the same phone because she described it perfectly. She couldn't wait for it to come in because she wants one for herself. When I got home I checked here and was surprised to see there was no mention of it. So I'm wondering if she gave me incorrect info. Who knows, she might be right.
    She had to have been talking about the Touch Pro. There's no indication that Palm has even been working on a CDMA Treo Pro, and they surely can't do it in 20 something days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I doubt the Pro will ever go CMDA. Palm would have little reason to offer two Treo phones with virtually identical specs on the same network...they would primarily compete with each other.
    I can see how it would be a little stupid for Palm, but I think it'd be a good idea for Sprint. They could get the people who prefer the Pro, and the people who prefer the 800w. With Palm, they stand to lose a lot of the money they put into the R&D of the 800w, so they probably wouldn't allow this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch57 View Post
    Sprint can keep the 800w which I understand is pretty inferior to the Pro.
    How so? It's inferior in certain aspects, but most of those certain aspects are user preference anyway. As far as I know, battery life has not been confirmed yet (and a good comparison won't be available until they make a CDMA Pro), so the only two features where it absolutely is inferior is the 3.5mm headphone jack, and the thinness of the device.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Just to add in my $.02 again. We stopped at the local Sprint store in SW Lower Mi and were given the same Oct 19 date as Palm would begin selling online and the stores would have it by the end of the month.

No confusion about what phone we were talking about. None.

Could it be wrong? You bet.

Could they have the information we all crave? You bet!
    10/19 is the Touch Pro release date for Sprint, not the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I sent an inquiry to sprint and received this reply.

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I will be happy to assist you in
    regards to the Treo? Pro smartphone release date from Sprint.

I am sorry, but I can not confirm a release date for the Treo? Pro
    smartphone at this time. For additional information on the Treo? Pro
    smartphone by Palm please go to Sprint.com.

You can be the judge of what the reply means. I do not see a denial in there but it is for sure ambigious.
    That is a canned reply with no research, no facts, no nothing. You could have made up the name of some phone and would have gotten the same response.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    As a follow up I requested that the Sprint CSR send me the link on the treopro. This is the reply I received.

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I will be happy to assist you regarding
    your request for information on Sprint.com about our product.

To search our web site about products and services just type what your
    are looking for in our search bar (Treo, Samsung, Family Plans, etc) for
    a complete listing of that product or service.

I have checked and could not find any information on the Treo Pro at
    this time. Please check back at a later time for more updated
    information.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. We appreciate your business.
    I was told the beginning of 09, we should see a CDMA Treo Pro.

This was from my corporate Palm rep (not a carrier rep, not a store rep, an actual Palm account manager)

He came by, showing me the demo Treo Pro about 5 weeks ago.

I'm not sure if that is enough for us to try them out again... We made a big investment with the 700w, 700p, 755p era and are (obviously) not that stoked in trying Palm again.

In particular, since we've moved over to the BB's.

Who know if it will, but as mentioned before, Palm will continue to develop WinMo devices, alongside their existing Garnet devices and the new Palm OS next spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    I was told the beginning of 09, we should see a CDMA Treo Pro.

This was from my corporate Palm rep (not a carrier rep, not a store rep, an actual Palm account manager)

He came by, showing me the demo Treo Pro about 5 weeks ago.

I'm not sure if that is enough for us to try them out again... We made a big investment with the 700w, 700p, 755p era and are (obviously) not that stoked in trying Palm again.

In particular, since we've moved over to the BB's.

Who know if it will, but as mentioned before, Palm will continue to develop WinMo devices, alongside their existing Garnet devices and the new Palm OS next spring.
    Great new, if true. I understand your trepidation, especially with all of the problems in the 800w. I'm sure that you probably already know that the Treo Pro is HTC and not really Palm so it's made with much better internals, design and software refinement. HTC is simply licensing the Palm name and keyboard layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    She had to have been talking about the Touch Pro. There's no indication that Palm has even been working on a CDMA Treo Pro, and they surely can't do it in 20 something days.

I can see how it would be a little stupid for Palm, but I think it'd be a good idea for Sprint. They could get the people who prefer the Pro, and the people who prefer the 800w. With Palm, they stand to lose a lot of the money they put into the R&D of the 800w, so they probably wouldn't allow this scenario.

How so? It's inferior in certain aspects, but most of those certain aspects are user preference anyway. As far as I know, battery life has not been confirmed yet (and a good comparison won't be available until they make a CDMA Pro), so the only two features where it absolutely is inferior is the 3.5mm headphone jack, and the thinness of the device.
    The deficiencies of the 800w don't, I believe, have anything at all to do with user preference but instead in functionality. From the reviews I'm reading, the boost in internal memory and processing speed is only marginal. It suffers from some of the same problems which plagued the 700w and, to a lesser extent, the 700wx, in that it is relatively slow and sometimes seizes up completely requiring resetting of the device. The battery life is apparently abysmal which has resulted in numerous after market batteries boasting enhanced battery life. So far, I'm not impressed. As for the Treo Pro, it appears Palm (read HTC) got it right and may actually have a winner.
    I haven't read very many reviews that said the device was slow. It seems to be the general consensus that this device is one of the snappiest ones available right now. In fact, the boost in memory is not even close to marginal, unless your idea of marginal is double the memory in both RAM and ROM (quadruple the RAM if you're comparing vs. the 700w), and even though the 700wx had 128MB of ROM, only 60MB was left for the user, where as the 800w gives 100MB more than that for the user.

The presence of aftermarket batteries does not indicate horrible battery life. The fact that the 800w has poor battery life is true, but there are extended batteries available for almost every phone out on the market. As far as I know, the only truly safe-to-use extended batteries are the Seidio ones, and there's only 2 of them. They made extended batteries for all the Treos before this, too, and will no doubt make one for the Pro.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. My guess is that with the upgraded processor and the conversion to CDMA, the Pro's battery life will only be slightly better than the 800w, if that. Like I said, you can't count battery life as an inferiority until a CDMA Pro is made and the battery life is tested side by side.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast