Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I hate to ask but I've been searching and reading for days now. I am looking into different options for setting up my email on my treo.

    Considerations (in rough order but cost is important)
    Battery life
    Notification Time
    Cost

    Options

    1. Just set it up to pull every 30 minutes from each account
    > I have more than 1 email, can it check all accounts in one connection to the internet then disconnect or does it hang up and redial for each account (assuming all have the same checking frequency)
    > What kind of frequency do you use?

    2. Use IMAP Idle (gmail, or other)
    > Does an idle connection use battery life? I don't really get this? - Perhaps most important question
    > Can I change the polling frequency for the idle check (can I make it 1 minute or 3 minutes)

    3. VZW Wireless Sync
    > Is this fake push? It doesn't seem to do true push since there is still a frequency to poll for new messages? Do I just not understand this.

    4. Exchange server - Active Sync
    > Does this work in a similar way to IDLE with a ping being used to determine if there is a new message

    5. PushEffect
    > Not really considering because I don't want to pay more for more texts. But I guess this is how BlackBerries work, correct?

    I am hoping you guys can answer my questions above and give me advice on how to do this the best way. Any and all help is appreciated!
  2.    #2  
    OOPS, I meant to put this in treo general chat, my mistake. If a mod would help me move it, I would appreciate it. Apologies.
  3. #3  
    I scrambled with all of this until I broke down and purchased an exchange account from sherweb.com .

    Exchange is the best way to go if you work with multiple computers... everything is always updated. For business it can't be beat.

    Far as email, I have exchange setup to let me know when messages arrive.

    I have three other imap accounts that I check every four hours... although, I do check them manually when needed.

    I wish there was a "check all mail boxes" available with winmob.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4. #4  
    mail2web it is free
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I scrambled with all of this until I broke down and purchased an exchange account from sherweb.com .

    Exchange is the best way to go if you work with multiple computers... everything is always updated. For business it can't be beat.

    Far as email, I have exchange setup to let me know when messages arrive.

    I have three other imap accounts that I check every four hours... although, I do check them manually when needed.

    I wish there was a "check all mail boxes" available with winmob.
    A bit OT but what sherweb plan are you using, does it allow you to use your own email domain (name@yourdomain.com) and does it allow you to connect via an exchange account with Outlook (not POP3 or IMAP)?

    Thanks!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  6. webdave's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    #6  
    For those looking at Exchange options. In the past I used 1and1.com for Exchange hosting. The plans are very cheap, you can use your own domain, and you have full access via the Outlook client and Outlook Web Access. I was very happy with 1and1 and highly recommend them.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
    I hate to ask but I've been searching and reading for days now. I am looking into different options for setting up my email on my treo.

    Considerations (in rough order but cost is important)
    Battery life
    Notification Time
    Cost

    Options

    1. Just set it up to pull every 30 minutes from each account
    > I have more than 1 email, can it check all accounts in one connection to the internet then disconnect or does it hang up and redial for each account (assuming all have the same checking frequency)
    > What kind of frequency do you use?

    2. Use IMAP Idle (gmail, or other)
    > Does an idle connection use battery life? I don't really get this? - Perhaps most important question
    > Can I change the polling frequency for the idle check (can I make it 1 minute or 3 minutes)

    3. VZW Wireless Sync
    > Is this fake push? It doesn't seem to do true push since there is still a frequency to poll for new messages? Do I just not understand this.

    4. Exchange server - Active Sync
    > Does this work in a similar way to IDLE with a ping being used to determine if there is a new message

    5. PushEffect
    > Not really considering because I don't want to pay more for more texts. But I guess this is how BlackBerries work, correct?

    I am hoping you guys can answer my questions above and give me advice on how to do this the best way. Any and all help is appreciated!
    1. Interval pull is last resort.

    2. Poutlook doesnt support imap idle. You would need a different email client

    3. Sprint has a variation of wireless sync but it is not very good. The older version uses background SMS triggers and works okat (you dont get billed for these SMS) the new client uses a heartbeat protocol but I had serious issues with the beta a couple of months ago.

    4. The default standard. I would focus here. Uses a heartbeat protocol and is extremely secure.

    5. Blackberries are a completely different animal. Nothing in common with push effect.

    good luck
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  8. #8  
    You can also turn a lot of imap/pop accounts into EAS with free services like mobipush (mobipush only supports email sync though, not contact/calendar).

    EAS in general works very well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    1. Interval pull is last resort.

    2. Poutlook doesnt support imap idle. You would need a different email client

    3. Sprint has a variation of wireless sync but it is not very good. The older version uses background SMS triggers and works okat (you dont get billed for these SMS) the new client uses a heartbeat protocol but I had serious issues with the beta a couple of months ago.

    4. The default standard. I would focus here. Uses a heartbeat protocol and is extremely secure.

    5. Blackberries are a completely different animal. Nothing in common with push effect.

    good luck
    Thank Robber, I appreciate your time. I forgot to write for #2, I would probably use FlexMail.

    To that end, what's the difference between IMAP idle and Exchange Auto Sync? Seems like they both work on a "heartbeat" system from everything I have read

    Also, does an idle connection (in between heartbeats) kill the battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    You can also turn a lot of imap/pop accounts into EAS with free services like mobipush (mobipush only supports email sync though, not contact/calendar).

    EAS in general works very well.
    Thanks Papped! I've seen links to mobipush. I just don't understand why they do it for free. I need reliability so it makes me worry to use a free service.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
    Thank Robber, I appreciate your time. I forgot to write for #2, I would probably use FlexMail.

    To that end, what's the difference between IMAP idle and Exchange Auto Sync? Seems like they both work on a "heartbeat" system from everything I have read

    Also, does an idle connection (in between heartbeats) kill the battery?

    Thanks Papped! I've seen links to mobipush. I just don't understand why they do it for free. I need reliability so it makes me worry to use a free service.
    IMAP idle is push email just like activesync. Activesync is actually a protocol in itself and it differs from IMAP idle but the difference is not worth getting into in regards to email.

    What EAS will do for you is calendering and contacts sync over the wireless connection. I have been lucky to work at companies that have provided me exchange accounts over the last few years and I cant begin to tell you how nice it is to have your calender and contacts always synced. Plus, when you get a new pda phone, you simply pop in the server settings and within a minute or two, email, calender and contacts are restored.

    The other benefit of EAS is that it is native to the treo. It is also extremely secure and reliable.

    IMAP idle nor EAS use a lot of battery.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  11. Kash76's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    #11  
    I have been on Exchange for years and recently made a move to Gmail for my domain going between flexmail & push effect. I was frustrated with the speed and reliablity of both of these. I really wanted Flexmail to work but fear my poor coverage at home created problrms. I used OggSync for my calendar and task syncing which worked great.

    Well, two weeks into it I was back on exchange. It can't be beat on WinMo!
    Kash76

    Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobmadness View Post
    mail2web it is free
    You get what you pay for....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #13  
    For information purpose only, difference between POP & IMAP read this thread
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108669

    I think IMAP Idle uses a lot less battery power than MS Exchange Push. I believe IMAP Idle clients can pings its server once every 25 minutes or so (it's configurable) just to let the server it is still online. I don't know about MS Exchange heartbeat mechanism, but I believe it is more often than that. If you have lots of email coming in, then the battery life would be the same whether using IMAP Idle or MS Exchange.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    A bit OT but what sherweb plan are you using, does it allow you to use your own email domain (name@yourdomain.com) and does it allow you to connect via an exchange account with Outlook (not POP3 or IMAP)?

    Thanks!
    I use the cheap exchange account $8 or $9 a month...

    Yes, I use my own domain.

    Yes, I setup exchange with outlook, not pop3 or imap. I have several imap accounts as well (separate, not associated with my exchange account).

    I like being able to update a calendar or contact or email and have that same info sync to my desktop, phone, laptop, and online account automatically.

    There are new technologies that attempt to create what Microsoft built, but none come close. IMO
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    For information purpose only, difference between POP & IMAP read this thread
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108669

    I think IMAP Idle uses a lot less battery power than MS Exchange Push. I believe IMAP Idle clients can pings its server once every 25 minutes or so (it's configurable) just to let the server it is still online. I don't know about MS Exchange heartbeat mechanism, but I believe it is more often than that. If you have lots of email coming in, then the battery life would be the same whether using IMAP Idle or MS Exchange.
    Actually, I've seen better battery life with exchange than with my imap accounts. I now have my imap account set to "grab" email every four hours. You can setup exchange to do the same... but I do immediately since that makes sense.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    For those looking at Exchange options. In the past I used 1and1.com for Exchange hosting. The plans are very cheap, you can use your own domain, and you have full access via the Outlook client and Outlook Web Access. I was very happy with 1and1 and highly recommend them.
    1and1 sucks, big time. I would stay far away from 1and1. My experience with them this year was disastrous. Even the imap test went bad...

    Sherweb was smooth...

    Again, you get what you pay for. 1and1 support sucks and their company will send you to collections for $6 without attempting to contact you first (done that to many people -- in my case it was the first time I'd been sent to collections -- I have the credit number other people want... everything always paid). I'd never do business with them as long as I live.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #17  
    I've found mobipush reliable in the time that I've used it. The only thing is that if I hard reset my phone I usually have to cancel the service and remake the account to sync the old mail (only takes a minute on the website). It's free so it's not hard to try out.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks folks a lot of good information. I'm glad I asked! I guess my concerns about a constantly open data connection and battery life are not founded.

    Verizon 29.99 plan?
    I am looking into exchange as we speak. Another thing to resolve is that there is a lot of conflicting information about using Exchange on VZWs new 29.99 dataplan. Verizon says "no corporate email" and does not give you their wireless sync (who cares) but I read everything on their website and it make no mention that exchange is specifically disallowed.

    Users here and there are reporting using exchange servers with the 29.99 plan
    Others also say that exchange uses standard ports (80 and 443) and so it would be impossible to block

    Anyone have any comments?

    Calls and push?
    One question about EAS and/or IMAP IDLE. My understanding is EVDO can only do voice or data at a time, not both at once. Does using EAS or IMAP IDLE mean that calls will bounce to voicemail since the dataconnection is connected?

    Also, mix EAS and POP3
    Is it fair to assume that you can use both EAS and a bunch of POP3 Accounts?
    Last edited by merlin2375; 09/18/2008 at 07:56 AM.
  19. #19  
    on EAS & multiple POP Account:
    It should not be a problem. You will need to create each account on the treo & only the EAS account is sync real time.
    If you don't need to separate work & personal account why not forward each POP account to a separate folder on the EAS account? Then you get all email pushed.
    Btw, synch-ing a bunch of POP will kill your battery.

    Off Topic: Who miss chatter with its summary view & multiple reply-as aliases?
  20. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #20  
    on verizon's evdo it will pause a data connection and give you the phone call- so no calls don't go to voicemail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions