View Poll Results: How is your call quality? Please answer for handset, BT headset and speakerphone.

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • My handset call quality is great.

    17 22.37%
  • My handset call quality is good.

    34 44.74%
  • My handset call quality is not good.

    15 19.74%
  • My handset call quality is terrible.

    12 15.79%
  • My BT headset call quality is great.

    19 25.00%
  • My BT headset call quality is good.

    24 31.58%
  • My BT headset call quality is not good.

    7 9.21%
  • My BT headset call quality is terrible.

    5 6.58%
  • My speakerphone call quality is good.

    28 36.84%
  • My speakerphone call quality is bad.

    32 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1.    #21  
    (emphasis added)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    My phone sounds muffled through the ear piece, over bluetooth and over the speakerphone. This isn't something constant though. It's more of an occasional things as if I have a bad / not good signal. My speaker (the same speaker as the speakerphone uses) sounds perfectly clear when playing TV or music (it has never sounded bad with music or TV just phone calls).
    Well perhaps there is a signal issue in some cases that you're not aware of?

    I know I used to get terrible static with my BT headset when I had WiFi turned on. Maybe that or something else where you are using the device when getting static is the cause of your problems in those instances?

    It's not an always occurring issue for you and you know it does not happen when playing music and such. So it seems you likely have some sort of signal interference.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It's not an always occurring issue for you and you know it does not happen when playing music and such. So it seems you likely have some sort of signal interference.
    That's what I thought but I keep WiFi off (I don't even use it, EVDO is very fast). Not sure what could cause interference as it'll do ti with BT off, beams off, radio in my car off, etc.

    My signal is usually full 90% of places I go so while it feels as if it's signal related since it's worse at times and better at others, I'm not sure that it is.

    I'm just at a complete loss. I could see it being related to Software or Hardware.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    That's what I thought but I keep WiFi off (I don't even use it, EVDO is very fast). Not sure what could cause interference as it'll do ti with BT off, beams off, radio in my car off, etc.

    My signal is usually full 90% of places I go so while it feels as if it's signal related since it's worse at times and better at others, I'm not sure that it is.

    I'm just at a complete loss. I could see it being related to Software or Hardware.
    Either software in the phone or the hardware itself.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Either software in the phone or the hardware itself.
    How could the hardware possibly work well for music and videos, but be faulty for calls? And how could the software possibly cause rattles for some calls, but not for others?

    I wonder what would happen if Kasracer did a hard reset and talked on the device for a day or 2? Not making any changes to the device during that time.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    How could the hardware possibly work well for music and videos, but be faulty for calls? And how could the software possibly cause rattles for some calls, but not for others?
    How could it be hardware related? Easy, faulty radio.

    Software? Radio firmware or even audio drivers.

    So it could be an issue with the hardware (Radio, connections to and from the radio) or software (radio firmware, audio drivers, etc). Remember, audio works differently when coming from the radio. This is why you can't play music over the ear piece on the phone. I don't know the exact ins and outs but it's a different path (though it may only be slightly different; I don't know).
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I wonder what would happen if Kasracer did a hard reset and talked on the device for a day or 2? Not making any changes to the device during that time.
    Already tried it, still does it. Same with one of the guys I know who has this same issue.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    How could the hardware possibly work well for music and videos, but be faulty for calls? And how could the software possibly cause rattles for some calls, but not for others?
    use of different drivers...

    possibly the ones for speaker phone (routing that aspect of sound) is different and not as optimized properly as is for music/alerts. It seems the bass response is very low.

    seeing as it works well under one condition and not another suggests a software/driver issues, not hardware. that's potentially good news and I think that's what the situation is.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7.    #27  
    Yea I should have considered the drivers for the different functions.

    The fact the issue comes and goes still is puzzling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Already tried it, still does it. Same with one of the guys I know who has this same issue.
    Well whatever it is, it sounds like a defective device to me given you've tried that.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    seeing as it works well under one condition and not another suggests a software/driver issues, not hardware. that's potentially good news and I think that's what the situation is.
    Why would that suggest software over hardware? Hardware can be extremely complex and have many gates, connection points, etc that could easily fail when certain conditions happen. I still think it could be either one. Not sure if it's a design flaw or just an issue with many phones though.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well whatever it is, it sounds like a defective device to me given you've tried that.
    Why? If it really is an issue with drivers or radio firmware or something similar, then no matter how many times I hard reset it'll still do it.

    It's just too tough to tell without having the phone schematics and source handy, imo at least.
  9.    #29  
    Kasracer, we know most people are not experiencing your issue. We know you have your issue even after a hard reset. So, it's logical that you probably have a defective device. But your issue is not occurring with most owners.
  10. #30  
    Actually, the issue is pretty common. 3 for 3 here. Not to say that it affects every phone (though it might), it's just that it affects a large percentage of them. Too bad there isn't a way to determine the good from the bad without activating them.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Actually, the issue is pretty common. 3 for 3 here. Not to say that it affects every phone (though it might), it's just that it affects a large percentage of them. Too bad there isn't a way to determine the good from the bad without activating them.
    darnell has a point though. At least 90% of the users on this board are either A) power users who would actually notice such a thing, B) users who love Palm and C) people having issues.

    We're definitely in the minority. I don't know if Palm / Sprint has had a large amount of calls regarding this or not so there is no way to speculate on the amount of affected.

    I will say this though: before one of my co-workers realized his device had this issue, he said he had no problems. I had to show him the difference. Though, it definitely seems like it just has too much bass.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    We're definitely in the minority. I don't know if Palm / Sprint has had a large amount of calls regarding this or not so there is no way to speculate on the amount of affected.
    Well if you call Sprint about it and they have an entry in their knowledge base about it, chances are they've had a lot of calls about the problem.

    Does this concern your co-worker as much as it concerns you? Do you consider yourself an audiophile?
  13. #33  
    All quality is actually GREAT if the volume is NOT MAX. However, dropping the volume down a bit does NOT cause it to be too quiet so I'm pretty happy all around.

    If the HANDSET wasn't so muffled at max volume I'd be 100% happy.
    ..:: ADAM ::..

    Clie UX40 --> Clie NZ90 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Pro --> Treo 800w (again)
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Does this concern your co-worker as much as it concerns you?
    Not as much
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Do you consider yourself an audiophile?
    Not even close. When it gets bad, it's impossible to hear as it sounds like an adult from Charlie Brown. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile just because I want to hear my phone call.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Not as much
    When it gets bad, it's impossible to hear as it sounds like an adult from Charlie Brown. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile just because I want to hear my phone call.
    Obviously whatever your co-worker heard after you pointed it out to them is not at all to the level of what you're hearing at times on your own device. Because if it was sounding like "Charlie Brown's mom", your co-worker would know. We all would know. So what ever you're experiencing is not at all the norm.

    I think you need a replacement.
  16. #36  
    This may be a little off topic, but has anyone used the "self-service" phone replacement order on sprint's website? If so, how long did it take for you to get your replacement phone?
  17. ehehat's Avatar
    Posts
    343 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
    This may be a little off topic, but has anyone used the "self-service" phone replacement order on sprint's website? If so, how long did it take for you to get your replacement phone?

    I did once about a year ago. Got it the next ay (maybe two). Didnt take any longer than doing it by phone.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
  18. #38  
    I lost my BT headset a couple of weeks ago and just started noticing muffled calls on the handset. With BT, actually, the call was clear and had to be turned way down not to be too loud. On the handset, it's roughly 40% of calls are muffled with no real rhyme or reason. That's the only issue I've had with the phone (well, crackling at full vol for speakerphone), so I've been hesitant to return to Sprint for an exchange...
    --Steve

    Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

    My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by typeadam View Post
    All quality is actually GREAT if the volume is NOT MAX. However, dropping the volume down a bit does NOT cause it to be too quiet so I'm pretty happy all around.

    If the HANDSET wasn't so muffled at max volume I'd be 100% happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    I lost my BT headset a couple of weeks ago and just started noticing muffled calls on the handset. With BT, actually, the call was clear and had to be turned way down not to be too loud. On the handset, it's roughly 40% of calls are muffled with no real rhyme or reason. That's the only issue I've had with the phone (well, crackling at full vol for speakerphone), so I've been hesitant to return to Sprint for an exchange...
    dslunceford, given what typeadam mentioned, was your volume at the max and did you see how it might sound if you turned it down a little when you heard muffling?

    Perhaps certain calls at too high a volume create muffling in the headset?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    dslunceford, given what typeadam mentioned, was your volume at the max and did you see how it might sound if you turned it down a little when you heard muffling?

    Perhaps certain calls at too high a volume create muffling in the headset?
    Yes, turning it down improves quality, *but* I also can't hear the call then. I finally got tired of this (I found my BT headset, then ran over it with my car by accident so it's been back to the earpiece for a week ) and took the phone into Sprint today.

    The tech said she could reproduce the issue and didn't "have the part to fix," so a new phone would be mailed to me (none in stock). Now, whether that means there is an actual known hardware issue, or if it's just the tech's way of saying "yeah, it sounds bad, get another to see if it's fixed," who knows.

    She did provide me with an extra hardwired headset and interesting, there's no issue there, so I do wonder if it's hardware or software related...

    Regardless, I'm hoping the new unit has no issues, as other than this one nit, I've been very happy with my 800w (tho envious of the Pro's flat screen )
    --Steve

    Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

    My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions