Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    If you buy an unlocked Treo Pro to use on AT&T, is there any option for insurance?

    Thanks,
    Rich
  2. #2  
    No, as far as I know, At&t does not provide insurance on PDA phones, and definitely not on a non-branded phone.
  3. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #3  
    You'll have to find a 3rd party willing to set it up. One suggestion I've heard is to put it on your homeowner's or renter's policy. Another option is a company that specializes in insuring phones that the carriers won't. (I've heard of one like this, though I don't have any actual experience--first- or secondhand--to cite one way or the other.)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    You'll have to find a 3rd party willing to set it up. One suggestion I've heard is to put it on your homeowner's or renter's policy. Another option is a company that specializes in insuring phones that the carriers won't. (I've heard of one like this, though I don't have any actual experience--first- or secondhand--to cite one way or the other.)
    The best way is to add it to your homeowner's insurance. I added mine to State Farm and for about $4 a month a have a $0 deductible on a phone I told them cost $500. The insurance applies to all causes except things the manufacturer's warranty would cover. So anything from dropping it into the toilet to running it over with your car to theft.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  5. jknuckey's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #5  
    Square trade is another option. Here's my reply from another thread:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jknuckey
    I just got a quote on square trade:
    $65.99 for 3 yrs coverage
    $72.00 additional for accidental damage coverage ($50 deductible)

    Averaged over 3 yrs, this might be a reasonable option...

    I agree that the $0 deductible from State Farm is better, but does anyone know whether filing a claim on the phone could affect your home premiums?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    No, as far as I know, At&t does not provide insurance on PDA phones, and definitely not on a non-branded phone.
    AT&T now offers insurance on most PDAphones, but with a $125 deductible vs. the $50 for "normal" cell phones.
  7. #7  
    gadgetluva, are you sure AT&T offers insurance on phones they don't carry? Regardless for me, I am like levinda and will simply add it to my State Farm Personal Articles Policy and it will run me about $35 a year with no deductible. I actually like it better because they would simply give me cash and I could order another new one, versus possibly getting a refurb - which I don't mid for computers, but not for my phones.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  8. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    are you sure AT&T offers insurance on phones they don't carry?
    I doubt they even cover unlocked versions of phones they do carry. Unless it's changed in the past year, the fine print describes an AT&T-branded phone.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    gadgetluva, are you sure AT&T offers insurance on phones they don't carry? Regardless for me, I am like levinda and will simply add it to my State Farm Personal Articles Policy and it will run me about $35 a year with no deductible. I actually like it better because they would simply give me cash and I could order another new one, versus possibly getting a refurb - which I don't mid for computers, but not for my phones.
    Woops sorry, I meant to add that it had to be an AT&T branded device. Definitely not to unbranded/unlocked devices.
  10. #10  
    According to my State Farm agent, they no longer offer new policies on cell phones. They have those that are grandfathered in and the rest would have to be covered by the standard homeowners/renters insurance deductibles.
  11. #11  
    Best Buy Mobile will carry the unlocked Pro in November. We offer an accidental damage plan on all devices in Best Buy Mobile, even unlocked. 6.99/month covers and damage to the device. drop it, sit on it, spill something on it. NO deductable.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  12. cortezi's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly View Post
    Best Buy Mobile will carry the unlocked Pro in November. We offer an accidental damage plan on all devices in Best Buy Mobile, even unlocked. 6.99/month covers and damage to the device. drop it, sit on it, spill something on it. NO deductable.
    that's a reasonable deal... thanks for the info.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  13. #13  
    6.99 x 12 = 83.88 a year.
    How many years is it good for?

Posting Permissions