Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Which TomTom version does it need to be, as the Pro isn't listed yet? Any WM Treo, or just any WM device?

If I already have maps, am I able to buy Navigator by itself, the listed prices all seem to include maps?
    It looks like the answer to my question 1 is that there aren't different versions of Navigator for different models, so that's simple.

But I still can't seem to be able to buy just the software, even on eBay all the Nav 5 & 6 software come complete with maps, I was hoping to buy it cheaply and copy my own TomTom maps over to the memory card. No?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have seen several Navigator 5 and 6 maps sold on Ebay for $48 to $70, on DVD. There are many auctions on Ebay for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    It looks like the answer to my question 1 is that there aren't different versions of Navigator for different models, so that's simple.

But I still can't seem to be able to buy just the software, even on eBay all the Nav 5 & 6 software come complete with maps, I was hoping to buy it cheaply and copy my own TomTom maps over to the memory card. No?
    with tomtom 6 do you need a subscription? I am trying telenav now 30 day free trial but then it is 9.99 month, it works really well andtraffic is nice feature. but if tomtom 6 works as good or better without a subscription i'd rather do that.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I want Tomtom Navigator maps in my Treo Pro, the Navigator 6 maps are at least 18 months old, anyone know when the new Navigator 7 (or whatever they'll call it) maps are coming out?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I would have thought you could update the maps whenever you want (at a price, of course).

My impression was that TomTom issue new maps at intervals (I think it's now quarterly) for all platforms. I shouldn't have thought the release of Navigator 7 would make any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by magic25 View Post
    I have seen several Navigator 5 and 6 maps sold on Ebay for $48 to $70, on DVD. There are many auctions on Ebay for them now.
    Got the full version on eBay for $70, complete with activation code & maps.
    Yes, I want Navigator 7, but they won't officially release it any time soon. I don't even know why - seems they are focused on the (likely) larger hardware market.

Heck, I have several times offered to buy their traffic service, but they can't get the Home menus right to show US maps as available. They keep telling me to buy the Netherlands traffic and it will work in the US! (Which I refuse to do...)
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    Heck, I have several times offered to buy their traffic service, but they can't get the Home menus right to show US maps as available. They keep telling me to buy the Netherlands traffic and it will work in the US! (Which I refuse to do...)
    I shouldn't worry, TomTom Traffic doesn't work on the Treo Pro anyway. It's awaiting 'testing' before being made available.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Tom Tom Traffic (U.S.) works fine on my Treo Pro. If you call support, they'll walk you through buying it on the web site.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    TomTom support tried (feebly, which seems from experience to be their top level of support) to help till they found out I had a Treo Pro, then said, "Nothing to do with us, we don't support it".

Mind you, I'm referring to using Traffic on a TomTom device, that may work differently to using it via Navigator on a phone (though they don't support the Pro for Navigator either).
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartin1976 View Post
    with tomtom 6 do you need a subscription? I am trying telenav now 30 day free trial but then it is 9.99 month, it works really well andtraffic is nice feature. but if tomtom 6 works as good or better without a subscription i'd rather do that.
    I really like TeleNav. It has a lot of features for finding restaurants and such. It came in real handy during a couple of bad snow storm. I was able to see back routes I could take to avoid traffic tie ups. I went ahead and got it for a year for $99. It's been real handy.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartin1976 View Post
    with tomtom 6 do you need a subscription?
    No, that's the big attraction of buying TT Navigator over most other options.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I tried Telenav, but found that in areas where there is no 3G service, it would stop functioning, and I'd end up lost. So, I feel more comfortable having the maps on board, rather than downloading on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    I tried Telenav, but found that in areas where there is no 3G service, it would stop functioning, and I'd end up lost. So, I feel more comfortable having the maps on board, rather than downloading on the fly.
    I am in Chicago, so I guess I am always hooked up to 3G. Nice to know it doesn't work well out of a 3G network.
    I have TT6, but can't seem to get it to work on my treo pro.
    I saw someone say that you just needed to set it to com4. When you configured TT6, what option did you select? I have four options. TomTom Bluetooth GPS Receiver (this is what I used with my 700wx), TomTom Wired GPS Receiver, Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver, and Other NMEA GPS Reciever. COM4 is not an option when I select Other Bluetooth or Other NMEA GPS recivers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    chris
    Quote Originally Posted by desmosedici View Post
    I have TT6, but can't seem to get it to work on my treo pro.
    I saw someone say that you just needed to set it to com4. When you configured TT6, what option did you select? I have four options. TomTom Bluetooth GPS Receiver (this is what I used with my 700wx), TomTom Wired GPS Receiver, Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver, and Other NMEA GPS Reciever. COM4 is not an option when I select Other Bluetooth or Other NMEA GPS recivers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    chris
    I selected "Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver". Then it should ask you where the GPS is connected. That is where is shows COM4 for me. The other options I see are COM7, COM3, Virtual COM9, RIL on COM6 and 7500 IRDA. I did not try the other comm ports. Maybe one of them would work for you.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Thanks for the info Cash. I assume you have other apps like Live Search and Google Maps - do you have them set to use COM4 also? I'm guessing that COM4 is in use on my system for something else. I'm trying to poke around and see what that is.

One other thought - on the settings menu, do you have your GPS settings set COM4? This is the item listed as External GPS on the System settings page.

Thanks again.

Ok - I figured it out - I had to set the external GPS to be COM4, then configure TT6, Google Maps and Live Search to use COM4. Everything is working now. Thanks
    Last edited by desmosedici; 06/13/2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Google Maps is set to "Managed by Windows". Live Search is set to "GPS Intermediate Driver".

Under the Settings menu, the GPS is set to COM4.

I should have mentioned that I am also using GPS Starter. There is a thread around here discussing the installation of GPS Starter. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Check out the sticky titled: GPS and Sprint Treo Pro. That has the info about GPS Starter.
    Last edited by cash70; 06/13/2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    TT7 is working fantastically.
    TomTom 7 works great on the Treo Pro. I've use the GPS_Starter to prime it and all is great after that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast