1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a friend who has a 800w. We were talking about Itunes (he has an Ipod). I was suggesting he ditch his Ipod in favor of the Treo he already carries.

Do you guys know if there is a way to run Itunes on the Treo 800w?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Bottom line is, unless WM dominates the hand held market the way windows dominates the home computer market, Apple probably won't ever make an iTunes client for Windows Mobile. That's just the way Apple is. Apple could EASILY make an iTunes client for Windows Mobile and I think they're passing up an opportunity, but they won't do it. They'd rather hope to drive you to buy their hardware, that's how Apple is.

There was a hoax years ago that Apple was going to make an iTunes client for WM 5.0.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Why do you need an itunes client though? The 800 plays AAC files just fine. It's easy enough to strip the DRM by simply copying the files to a CD and copy them back as well.
    And...
    Pocket tunes has a sync client that automatically syncs any iTunes playlist to the 800 when you connect. With that and my 8GB card, I don't need an iPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    Why do you need an itunes client though? The 800 plays AAC files just fine. It's easy enough to strip the DRM by simply copying the files to a CD and copy them back as well.
    And if you don't have a million CD's there is emulation software that creates one big CD on your hard drive and does all this for you....best $35.00 I ever spent.
    This is why it's best to use a universal format like MP3. If you're keeping all your music in MP3 format, then you can play it all on the Treo 800w with no hassles at all. And you don't need iTunes or Pockettunes for MP3.

And with the 8GB card, nope you don't need an iPod .
    I wonder if you can shoehorn Wine onto Windows Mobile? That might, theoretically, allow native Windows apps (such as iTunes) to run on your phone.

But you won't have near the amount of ram to really run them.
    I have alot of songs on my treo but i can't hear them loud and clear so i don't use my treo as a mp3 player.
    I don't even own an iPod. I use my Treo with an 8gb card and Kinoma Freeplay and am very happy with the whole package.
    My ipod has been relegated to the garage, plugged into some old Dell computer speakers for music in my garage.....
    Quote Originally Posted by neil1492 View Post
    I don't even own an iPod. I use my Treo with an 8gb card and Kinoma Freeplay and am very happy with the whole package.
    Also, you can use Kinoma Play together with Orb to stream your whole iTunes library on-demand, from anywhere, just as if you had your whole music library on your phone.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Also, you can use Kinoma Play together with Orb to stream your whole iTunes library on-demand, from anywhere, just as if you had your whole music library on your phone.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    To bad that Orb doesn't work with Macs.
  13. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Does Kinoma provide any added functionality over just utilizing the web interface and windows media player?
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I will confirm that Orb works with Napster and allows me to play DRM protected music, although Orb has an annoying problem with displaying the same album art for every single song in your library.
    Has anyone ever tried WiFiTunes? http://www.aspecto-software.com/rw/a...ons/wifitunes/

I tried it on my Mogul and it could connect to my shared iTunes library when connected to my home network via WiFi. It would also connect to my iTunes server that I share over the internet (via port 3689). It's a little buggy, though, and doesn't like huge song databases.
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Does Kinoma provide any added functionality over just utilizing the web interface and windows media player?
    Yes, the difference is night and day.

If you use Orb without Kinoma Play (or Kinoma FreePlay), once you start a stream via the web interface and it's handed off to WMP, literally all you can do is stop it. It's out of your control.

Kinoma Play works with Orb on a much deeper level, letting you play your media almost as if it were on your phone. It really has to be tried to be believed. Happily, that's free and easy.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Hello Charles!

Do you plan to (or already) support the ability to connect to an iTunes server? Either sharing your music over a network through iTunes itself or something like the Firefly Media Server (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/)
    I just tried something really cool. Using the buggy above noted software (WiFiTunes) and Hamachi for Windows Mobile (https://secure.logmein.com/labs.asp?lang=en), I can attempt to connect (via 3G) to iTunes running on my PC (also running Hamachi). WiFiTunes give me an error when trying to connect, though, because it only connects to iTunes version 6 and earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    Hello Charles!

Do you plan to (or already) support the ability to connect to an iTunes server? Either sharing your music over a network through iTunes itself or something like the Firefly Media Server (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/)
    You sure like to repeat questions in multiple places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer
    As for iTunes 7, Apple changed its encryption routines and, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$ $have$ $not$ $yet$ $been$ $cracked$ $so$ $it$'$s$ $still$ $not$ $possible$ $for$ $3rd$ $party$ $software$ $to$ $connect$ $to$ $iTunes$' $shares$.
  20. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yes, the difference is night and day.

If you use Orb without Kinoma Play (or Kinoma FreePlay), once you start a stream via the web interface and it's handed off to WMP, literally all you can do is stop it. It's out of your control.

Kinoma Play works with Orb on a much deeper level, letting you play your media almost as if it were on your phone. It really has to be tried to be believed. Happily, that's free and easy.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    You're right, it's pretty cool. I admit it.