Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I like the Touch Pro too(that's the Touch Diamond design with a physical keyboard, right?),
    Yup, thats right.
    If the Treo's form factor is dated, then so is the Blackjack's and Motorola Q's and also Blackberry's Curve and 8800 line. Yet, they sell quite well so obviously people want the front facing keyboard.

Unless you're referring to thickness, but the Pro seems to have dropped the weight.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I'm not sure it's not just die-hard palm fans. Some folks won't like the slide-out or virtual keyboards, and this is another option.
    mostly the die hard palm fans will buy the 850 now because it will not be subsidized by any carrier here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I wonder about that, too. When I hear that the Treo is "dated", I wonder if people really just want something different and sexier? It seems that the front-facing KB is a really efficient design, and each successive version upgraded that basic concept: eliminating the antenna, making it thinner, adding WiFi and GPS, faster network, etc.

There's only so many ways to change it, and I really like the basic Treo design.
    the design is dated. but, it is a great design, i never said the design was bad, i feel palm never steps outside the box. the just keep on pushing the same thing out for its customers i feel the specs are rather dated, if you compare the treo pro to devices coming out, the specs are dated, the design is a winning design, but how much longer can they rest on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Right on. Obviously thunder god doesn't realize that iPhone clones don't make a design any "fresher." We've had all touchscreen devices for quite some time now. Onscreen keyboards on a 2.8" screen are an exercise in frustration. But to each their own.
    when you look at the newer phones coming out, the screens are bigger, hence bigger on screen keyboards(htc touch HD, samsung omnia) that jelly keyboard gets to be a pain after a while.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    mostly the die hard palm fans will buy the 850 now because it will not be subsidized by any carrier here in the States.

the design is dated. but, it is a great design, i never said the design was bad, i feel palm never steps outside the box. the just keep on pushing the same thing out for its customers i feel the specs are rather dated, if you compare the treo pro to devices coming out, the specs are dated, the design is a winning design, but how much longer can they rest on that.

when you look at the newer phones coming out, the screens are bigger, hence bigger on screen keyboards(htc touch HD, samsung omnia) that jelly keyboard gets to be a pain after a while.
    After owning the iPhone 3G and using it as my main device for 2 months and getting very comfortable with the keyboard, I vastly prefer a real tangible keyboard.

I still disagree with you on your point that the Treo form factor is dated. How can a useful, powerful, efficient design in of itself be dated? The implementation of said design CAN be, but not the design itself. I can probably do twice as many tasks in the time it takes me to do them on touchscreen only devices. And this isn't just related to typing - shortcuts (think about the Treo Pro - 10 assignable hardware buttons AND the 7 allowable shortcuts on the start menu) means launching up to SEVENTEEN (17!!!) programs pressing no more than 2 buttons. Dialing a contact that is a favorite is as easy as pressing and holding 1 or 2 buttons. Dialing a contact that ISN'T a favorite is as easy as typing in 3-4 letters as well. Granted, the square screen is less than ideal for videos, but not everybody uses their phone for video (and for those that do, the Treo is a VERY poor choice). I think the reason why we all love this Treo design is because of how efficient it is, how easy it is to use one-handed (nevermind other devices that CAN be used one-handed, the Treo is DESIGNED to be EASILY used one-handed). Dated design? I think that the slab form factor (remember the imate Jam?) is a more dated design.
    Most Motorola flip phones are definitely way more dated than the Treo form factor IMO. Also their constant use of the RAZR type of keypad on every phone. I think Palm finally got rid of the dated look of the older Treos, and refreshed the design in a positve way on the Pro, but kept the same good basic form factor underneath.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Most Motorola flip phones are definitely way more dated than the Treo form factor IMO. Also their constant use of the RAZR type of keypad on every phone. I think Palm finally got rid of the dated look of the older Treos, and refreshed the design in a positve way on the Pro, but kept the same good basic form factor underneath.
    I agree. The Treo Pro is very slick. I think it is strange though that Palm had to consult HTC to help make a good looking device. I think they could have eaves dropped on T|C and gotten all the info they needed. We've been saying for years to slim it down, get rid of the ear speaker bump and ditch to 2-tone look. I have been complaining ever since the 600 about the cr@ppy looking chrome and there have been a thousand posts about the antenna monstrosity. I have seen a dozen threads in the last year complaining about recessed screens. Dosen't it seem like this design is just common sense. It seems silly for them to give credit, money and time to HTC for its design.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    After owning the iPhone 3G and using it as my main device for 2 months and getting very comfortable with the keyboard, I vastly prefer a real tangible keyboard.
    I agree. I had the Touch for a month and spent a ton of time trying every on-screen keyboard out there and they gave up. Type-o-holics and non-hard keyboards don't mix.

I was extremely tempted by the Touch Pro and followed every detail of its up coming release for months before coming to my senses. Its Touch Flo 3D is just a show. Really who wants to swipe their finger across the screen in the shape of a J, or an arch,,,,,, http://www.4winmobile.com/tg/Xda_Orbit_2/gestures.png In a few cases it may be faster and more intuitive but often it was more work for me. I think it will get better and in a few generations. Later I'll be happy to use it but for right now skidding my finger across the screen as if the corner of my thumb were flipping a page in a book doesn't beat simply pushing right on the dpad.

I know on the flashy devices a user can skip they new technology and use them old school but the thought of using the on-screen KB or sliding out the KB 20 times a day drives me nuts so I opted for the device that will get less attention but is more practical.

I admit thought that if their was a 640x480, candy bar, Touch Flo 3D device with a portrait hard KB,,, I'd kick out extra cash for that one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    I agree. The Treo Pro is very slick. I think it is strange though that Palm had to consult HTC to help make a good looking device. I think they could have eaves dropped on T|C and gotten all the info they needed. We've been saying for years to slim it down, get rid of the ear speaker bump and ditch to 2-tone look. I have been complaining ever since the 600 about the cr@ppy looking chrome and there have been a thousand posts about the antenna monstrosity. I have seen a dozen threads in the last year complaining about recessed screens. Dosen't it seem like this design is just common sense. It seems silly for them to give credit, money and time to HTC for its design.
    I think, actually, that a lot of the credit goes to Jon Rubinstein. Remember the NYT article right when the Pro was launched? "There was such a thing about preserving the iconic style of the Treo that people didn't want to change it." While Palm's in-house designers may not have wanted to make changes, Colligan agreed that there was a need for "fresh blood" here.

So outsourcing the design (or some parts of it) to HTC may have been an easier way to make those changes. Remember, it's more than "get rid of this"... if you replace something, what do you replace it with? I think HTC had a leg up on Palm's internal design team that way, and Colligan & Rubinstein didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
    Who thought no physical softkeys would look cool?
    The treo design is in no way dated. Look at all the devices with keyboards on front. It's the most efficient form factor for getting tasks done.

That said, i can't stand the centro keyboard that the pro takes. I think the design could be tweaked to perhaps make the screen wider some and give room for more space between the keys.

And as always, a good resolution screen is among the main things i want in a smartphone today. If the virtual kb is good enough, i'd consider it. THe iphone's is great (for me)..and its the auto correction that makes it so. The diamond's screen is too small for a good virtual kb but i think it'd work on the HTC HD one coming out.

I've never owned a slideout kb phone so i'd have to play with the diamond pro to get a feel for it. I already know it'd be more work than a treo requiring two hands to type though. Hence, this is why the treo won't die. But i appreciate the screen, sensor, and enhanced specs of the diamond pro has over the treo moreso than the treo's efficiency. If the treo pro had a better kb and wider screen..i'd be tempted.

From what i hear of wm7 and seeing some videos of nvidia's chips, I think i'm headed that way from the iphone 3g (which i like very much but the network is awful in my area and there's hardly any useful apps outside of games). I'll be looking at the touch pro in October though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Ha,,,,,,, I dont think that was on purpose,,,,,,,,, Some may say there isnt much difference between a Vet and a Camero and some may say there isnt much difference between the 750 and Treo Pro but I think it is a nice upgrade. 100 megs for storage, 65 megs to run progs, 320X320 flush screen, GPS and the wonderful, wonderful, portrait hard KB. It wins in my opinion and thats why I kicked out a little extra. I've had the Tilt and seriously considered the Touch Pro but they just don't compare to a palm KB for me!
    I am a current Tilt holder who has a pre-order for the Treo Pro.

It has come to the point of 25,000 miles a year in the car, 5000 minutes a phone on a phone and a 150 emails per day, I need less flash, more function.

It looks like the treo pro will do that perfectly for me, I would assume.

I agree a higher res screen would be nice, but I will take the keyboard, slim profile and call it a day.

Maybe I'm just getting old(er)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
    I am a current Tilt holder who has a pre-order for the Treo Pro.

It has come to the point of 25,000 miles a year in the car, 5000 minutes a phone on a phone and a 150 emails per day, I need less flash, more function.

It looks like the treo pro will do that perfectly for me, I would assume.

I agree a higher res screen would be nice, but I will take the keyboard, slim profile and call it a day.

Maybe I'm just getting old(er)
    agree 1000% ... was a Tilt owner myself then recently switched to the Q9h (which is an excellent phone) and I can't wait for the Pro. Couldn't take the clumsiness of the Tilt .... plus I really prefer WM professional over standard.
    I was a blackberry user but since i joined my new company I have to use microsoft exchange thus WM phones. Hopefully the Pro will make me not feel so bad that I can't use the BB Bold!
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/16/2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Nobody has a solid Treo form factor design with palm's customizations besides palm.
    To some degree, I feel the same way as ronniebrasco about Palm selling out. I didn't like it then and it still sucks a bit now. I say "a bit" now because at least they put out a decent WM device so that sort of makes up for it. Sort of, LOL!

Palm sold out to Windows because they couldn't go much further with the Palm OS after selling it off, then buying it back, then letting it stall. So they could at least have a product still making money while they "fix" the Palm OS, they decided to go for those who refused to or couldn't use(due to IT restrictions) the Palm OS but would buy WM.

But thanks to their non-devotion to their own OS, I tried the robust and updated more often WM and now will not go back to the Palm OS unless they release the revamped version. Unfortunately WM met my needs more. Multi-tasking out of the box did it for me.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I agree the Pro is lacking some of the Palm 'magic', but the hardware is great and I have not had any crashes/lockups so far.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Multi-tasking out of the box did it for me.
    And it's about the only thing I miss with my 680 - except I didn't actually benefit from it all that often. Okay it would save search results, but thanks to Chatteremail+, what I really need in the background (getting email) happens in the background.

I am going to have a close and personal look at a Pro in due course. We don't have CDMA networks or devices in the UK, so the Windows Mobile Treo range has been the 750, 500 and now the Pro. I've always been able to tweak my WM devices sufficient for them to be easy to live with too and I don't doubt that won't change with the Pro...

Ultimately, since my 680 still works, I'm tight :-) and am waiting for Nova, I'm probably going to leave a decision until I have had some touchy feely quality time with a Nova combination PDA and 'phone, in 2009. By then I expect the Pro will have something of a price advantage too.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    I've always been able to tweak my WM devices sufficient for them to be easy to live with too and I don't doubt that won't change with the Pro...
    I think that fact that the Pro doesn't extensive OS tweaks or carrier bloatware makes it easier to customise for your own requirements.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Here's hoping. I'm going to have a look at one in a Vodafone Business centre, so it'll be interesting to see if this has been Vodafone'd or not.
    But thanks to their non-devotion to their own OS, I tried the robust and updated more often WM and now will not go back to the Palm OS unless they release the revamped version. Unfortunately WM met my needs more. Multi-tasking out of the box did it for me.
    I think the big kicker is going to be 3rd party app support. WM keeps gaining this by leaps and bounds and I don't really think it's something Palm will be able to recapture with a new OS even.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Agreed: it's the third party applications that make a device so useful...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast