Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read articles here and I must say that I really admire the deep knowledge folks have in the topic, however, as a simple country boy as I am, I just want to know if it works as it should - Here is a simple solution - Can someone here with a Pro do the following:
    Take the SIM card out of the Pro
    Tale your car and the Pro for a joy ride
    Report back if the GPS in Pro works... (does it give you the direction?)

Thank you in advance...
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    It may take one more step to test it completely--as described above, you could probably determine if the Pro got a satellite lock in various places. I'm thinking do a full real-world test--first, find an app that uses GPS with maps stored on the memory card (for testing, esp. one available for a free trial!) and see how that works--without the SIM and in multiple locations, of course. And, as people have suggested in other threads, do a soft reset first.

(Note: I'm still looking for an appropriate app. If you know of one, feel free to suggest it. Someone suggested Garmin XT, iGo or CoPilot in another thread--I'll check them when my Internet connection is more cooperative.)

After all... with no map, the GPS may know where you are, but do you?

Side note: I've been intrigued for a while about geocaching, and I'd like to try it, so I'm hoping I can use the Pro's GPS--with or without a cell signal--the one thing is that I can see an 8 GB card running out of space fast (maps, mp3s, documents...)! Hope there's a 16 out soon.
    Last edited by Q; 09/13/2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    I have read articles here and I must say that I really admire the deep knowledge folks have in the topic, however, as a simple country boy as I am, I just want to know if it works as it should - Here is a simple solution - Can someone here with a Pro do the following:

Thank you in advance...
    I am able to test it. I do not use GPS (have not used before ). If you can give me the step by step guide so I can follow and update you the result.
    Step 1.
    Take out SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Step 1.
    Take out SIM card.
    No SIM card installed.
    Open QuickGPS in Program group:

Message: QuickGPS can speed up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellie data via an Internet connection (such as GPRS, ActiveSync etc)

Clicked "Download". Connection failed, Please try again later.

What's next?
    Sorry,
    the only other step I know is;
    "Take your car and the Pro for a joy ride"
    Instead of taking out the SIM, couldn't they just turn off the phone's radio?
    I don't see how this is such a lingering issue. I think it's been verified that GPS works better than the 800w's due to lack of carrier restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I don't see how this is such a lingering issue. I think it's been verified that GPS works better than the 800w's due to lack of carrier restrictions.
    I really think we need to start more threads on this topic.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Open QuickGPS in Program group:

Message: QuickGPS can speed up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellie data via an Internet connection (such as GPRS, ActiveSync etc)

Clicked "Download". Connection failed, Please try again later.

What's next?
    That's actually promising that it says "...can speed up the time for determining your GPS position...". What happens if you say no? If it is standalone it can take up to about 10 minutes to get a satellite lock. It likely will not take that long though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Is the GSM chip made by Qualcomm? If not, there could be differences between the GSM and CDMA Pro on GPS

At one point a Palm tech intoned that the 800w problem was a qualcomm stipulation. If this is the case then perhaps there will be a difference in GPS function between the GSM Pro and a CDMA pro, and the CDMA pro may have the same problems as the 800w even if the GSM pro does not.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Absolutely, catogorically, undoubtedly, beyond any question, the GPS is stand-alone.

Did the full test with the phone turned off, after a soft reset, after taking the sim card out... even hid the sim card under my pillow, put on a false moustache and turned the lights off!

THE GPS IS STAND ALONE!!!!!!!
    Did you take your Pro for a Joy Ride?
    I'm pretty sure that was one of the steps.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    LOL! No, but I had to take my baby out of the house, and pushed him round the block in a push-chair to get to sleep...

Does that count or is there a min speed limit on the joy ride?

Pick-up of signal was not too quick though. My in-car TomTom takes about 2 mins. This took a min 5-6 to get a signal!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    An annoying aside - the reset hole is NOT accessible when you pull out the stylus! Just milimetres short of the hole.

You need to take out the back cover. After that it is just as easy to take the battery out than pull out the stylus and stab the reset hole!

A little minor adjustment that coulda saved so much hassle!
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    An annoying aside - the reset hole is NOT accessible when you pull out the stylus! Just milimetres short of the hole.

You need to take out the back cover. After that it is just as easy to take the battery out than pull out the stylus and stab the reset hole!

A little minor adjustment that coulda saved so much hassle!
    According to one of Dieter's articles (I think he mentioned it in a podcast too), he was able to reset it by angling the stylus just enough... put it through some crazy convoluted contortions... and then, just after he reset it, he realized that that messed him up on the No-Reset Challenge.

even hid the sim card under my pillow, put on a false moustache and turned the lights off!
    You didn't take a picture?! What is multitasking coming to?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    According to one of Dieter's articles (I think he mentioned it in a podcast too), he was able to reset it by angling the stylus just enough... put it through some crazy convoluted contortions... and then, just after he reset it, he realized that that messed him up on the No-Reset Challenge.
    Well, he is a better man than I, then. I contorted the stylus till I was almost leveraging the back off, but couldn't reach the hole. If I tried any harder the Pro might have charged me with assault, or cruel and unusual punishment or what-not!

Prolly could have reset with a paper clip and the Mission Impossible music in the background...
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/15/2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: correct end quote
  19.    #19  
    Thank you and THANK YOU Simsim, a job well done! You have confirmed what everyone has been asking for - Treo Pro GPS works without the SIM card... I just pre-ordered my Treo Pro...

P/S hope you really enjoyed the joy ride... haha
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thank you and THANK YOU Simsim, a job well done! You have confirmed what everyone has been asking for - Treo Pro GPS works without the SIM card... I just pre-ordered my Treo Pro...

P/S hope you really enjoyed the joy ride... haha
    Just took my first official "joy ride" with the Pro running TomTom to the airport and back this morning. Clear picture and clear loud instructions.

Of course my proper TomTom 720 sat sulking in the glove compartment moaning "that's MY job", and I had to explain this was just a test, and I'll buy it a some new Points Of Interest if it behaves itself
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast