Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    There may be an obvious answer, but I can't seem to find it. On the Palm OS, Dir Assistance (later TryDA) was the go to app for business and personal phone listings.

With WM now, Live Search is the obvious answer (for me anyway) for business listings, but what do people use for personal listings?

Thanks in advance.
    Here's one: using the browser try: http://wap.switchboard.com
    tryda is making a WM version. There used to be a freeware Directory Assistance app, but the last time I tried it didn't work anymore.

http://www.tryda.com/Public/Default.aspx

btw, if you have styletap tryda should work on windows mobile now.
    It does. Otherwise I use the Google search plug-in.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Thanks for the insight. Looks like switchboard will be the winner.

DirAssist was a great program when it first came out, and because Rick was using a data source that he didn't have control of, it would frequently get messed up. Tryda works great too, but the idea of a WM version is about a year in the making now, so I don't hold out hope. The google search plug in works nicely, but I have found that it is somewhat picky, i.e. you need to use first a last name, not just last name, and not first initial, so sometimes it is a pain.

web based switchboard it is though. Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Looks like switchboard will be the winner.

DirAssist was a great program when it first came out, and because Rick was using a data source that he didn't have control of, it would frequently get messed up. Tryda works great too, but the idea of a WM version is about a year in the making now, so I don't hold out hope. The google search plug in works nicely, but I have found that it is somewhat picky, i.e. you need to use first a last name, not just last name, and not first initial, so sometimes it is a pain.

web based switchboard it is though. Thanks guys.
    I find that as I do browsing around I occassionally find mobile versions of various useful sites and bookmark them. I like these mobile versions because they load fast and don't clutter the screen with a lot of graphics. Maybe we should start a directory of such sites as people find them. Wap.switchboard is an example. I had that bookmarked on my Treo 700P and copied it over.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dougef View Post
    I find that as I do browsing around I occassionally find mobile versions of various useful sites and bookmark them. I like these mobile versions because they load fast and don't clutter the screen with a lot of graphics. Maybe we should start a directory of such sites as people find them. Wap.switchboard is an example. I had that bookmarked on my Treo 700P and copied it over.
    Here is a link to a page I have set up.

http://noahas.googlepages.com/

It is almost exclusively mobile optimized pages. Some are more investment (I am in the investment business) related or local to Chicago (where I live), but hopefully you will find some good ones here. I have a page similar to this as my homepage (it is even more specific to my needs).

Hope this is useful to someone.