Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I uploaded some new pictures .
    so everyone will find the GPS is STAND ALONE.

you can find the pictures here

http://www.treo8.com/bbs/viewthread....3D1#pid1540603

or find the one attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyyang View Post

or find the one attached
    Great! This seems pretty definitive. Phone turned off and GPS still getting satellite data.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Great! This seems pretty definitive. Phone turned off and GPS still getting satellite data.
    technically the test is:
    - turn radio off
    - soft reset
    - try GPS

that's to flush any emphemeral (sp) data from memory
    I don't get it. Why the first GPS test is from Chinese web? It is not released to Asia yet!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    faint ..

I got the TREO PRO first..(one month before).

I upload the photos to a Chinese Treo WEB, I'm in China..
    Navyyang, great job with the detailed review. I am able to read Chinese, however, can you translate it into English so the rest of our brothers/sisters in the rest of the world can appreciate your knowledge/expertise? Thanks...
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I got the TREO PRO first..(one month before).
    How did you get one that quickly? And what are the yellow dots on some keys and the navigator?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I got a DVT unit from others. Yes, there are some yellow dots on some keys and navigator.

or find the one attached
    I can see similar results on the 800w. You need to reset it and try it in an area with line of sight to sky and no gsm reception
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi all

There isn't aGPS service in China..
    if I reset it, maybe someone will tell me " you should hard reset it before test"

and there are some pictures without network. you can find different between them.
    Last edited by navyyang; 09/14/2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Hi all
    There isn't aGPS service in China..
    if I reset it, maybe someone will tell me " you should hard reset it before test"

and there are some pictures without network. you can find different between them.
    I have no reason to doubt your conclusions, but would like to point out that the disabled standalone on the 800w is not because of dependence on aGPS. The tower hit doesn't not need to transmit aGPS assistance, only to confirm that it is in a cdma area (although the aGPS makes for faster and better sat acquisition.)

In think you conclusions are correct, but I think this is based on licensing issues present in the CDMA chip not present in the GSM chip .
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I have no reason to doubt your conclusions, but would like to point out that the disabled standalone on the 800w is not because of dependence on aGPS. The tower hit doesn't not need to transmit aGPS assistance, only to confirm that it is in a cdma area (although the aGPS makes for faster and better sat acquisition.)

In think you conclusions are correct, but I think this is based on licensing issues present in the CDMA chip not present in the GSM chip .
    Alot of it has to do with the fact that the unlocked treo pro isn't locked to any specific carrier that might have crippled GPS in the first place
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Alot of it has to do with the fact that the unlocked treo pro isn't locked to any specific carrier that might have crippled GPS in the first place
    Remember, though... the Pro is being sold through carriers in countries outside the US (and may also be picked up shortly by AT&T), so those versions should be tested along with the tests to date on unlocked Pros. Let's hope the GPS is configured the same.

I do agree that the Pro being sold unlocked is a major factor, as I'd said before in another thread.