Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziegenpeter View Post
    Over at freewarepocketpc I found this app:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...smileysms.html

I didn't test it yet, but maybe it will help with "lost smileys".
    i tried it on my end and it works great!
    i love the animated smiley, but you have to type the smiley as before they have an icon for me to tap and choose which smiley i like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post
    Let me get this straight..............

If you can't text a , this will keep you from buying a Treo Pro?

Now I think I've heard everything.......

Have you considered buying the Jitterbug phone?
    LOL I didn't say it was going to cause me to not buy the phone (the $549 price is what is going to cause me to not buy the phone, for now). But it is frustrating (and IMO foolish) that a simple, useful and ubiquitous feature would simply be left off of a phone this pricey without some kind of explanation. What, did they think leaving off smileys would increase its credibility as a "professional" device?? I don't get it. It makes no sense, and one cannot pretend that it is a complete non-issue.

Obviously, it is not a critical feature, and it is still a great device, but its just like Palm to always senselessly leave something out, even if it is something that is to you insignificant and worthy of mockery.
    I am curious as to if anyone has been able to conduct a side-by-side test/comparison between the Pro and the 800w. At first they were supposed to be identical but for the GSM/CDMA thing, but the Pro has morphed into something pretty unique in Palm's world, and now we are getting disputes on the memory. I would love any opinions of the 800w in relation to the Pro (pros + cons (no pun intended....OK, I MAY have intended it LOL))!!

Thanks

Folks! Please report / alert me SOONER when politics leaks out of Off Topic and into the gadget discussion. Massive post culling of this thread to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    LOL I didn't say it was going to cause me to not buy the phone (the $549 price is what is going to cause me to not buy the phone, for now). But it is frustrating (and IMO foolish) that a simple, useful and ubiquitous feature would simply be left off of a phone this pricey without some kind of explanation. What, did they think leaving off smileys would increase its credibility as a "professional" device?? I don't get it. It makes no sense, and one cannot pretend that it is a complete non-issue.

Obviously, it is not a critical feature, and it is still a great device, but its just like Palm to always senselessly leave something out, even if it is something that is to you insignificant and worthy of mockery.
    For me, I can't figure why they got rid of the physical softkeys.
    It's weird how some of these things get decided.
    Who are these guys beta testing the proto's?
    The early pics showed softkeys, somewhere along the line someone said; 'let's get rid of these two buttons'
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    For me, I can't figure why they got rid of the physical softkeys.
    It's weird how some of these things get decided.
    Who are these guys beta testing the proto's?
    The early pics showed softkeys, somewhere along the line someone said; 'let's get rid of these two buttons'
    The lack of soft keys was very irritating at first. This was probably because I have recently been using non-touchscreen like the Nokia E61 and Treo 500. I'm getting used to it now.

Mechanically, putting two extra buttons below the screen might have been tricky due to the flush surface. It would be very easy to press the wrong button; e.g. the 'Start' button instead of the left softkey.
    Can someone confirm me whether u can mute the incoming call ringtone by pressing any key like treo 750? my treo pro doesn't mute.

i tried keyboard keys, volume keys. nothing works.

Thanks
  8. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post

Well it's pretty clear to me, that far from adding the Palm "magic" they were so praised for on the 750, all they have done this time is take an off-the-shelf WM6.1 build from HTC and stuff it in an expanded Centro case. Strangely some reviews still talk of Palm's customisations, but I've yet to see any barring the centre-button keylock - but that's hardly a big deal (S2U2 blows it away anyway).

So far, the only thing 'Palm' about this device is the plastic Centro looks (which were probably Inventec's anyway), the toy-like jello-keyboard, and the name on the D-Pad. I appreciate that choice is limited in the US because of their peculiar cellular band allocations, which make the Treo's quad-GSM/tri-3G radio a big deal, but apart from that, it just seems to be another blackberry-style qwerty phone, with none of the added ingredients that gave previous Treos their USP and dedicated following.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a dedicated fan of the Treo line and its form factor, having owned all GSM versions since the 270. So am I being too harsh? Compared against similar devices like the i780, 503G, 8502, 914c and E71, is there anything on the Pro that should make me jump back to Palm?
    Last edited by Me2; 09/19/2008 at 03:58 AM.
    I prefer the tro pro over those devices because:

I780 = pain in the but dpad!!!

503g = no recessed screen, 2.4 QVGA, no GPS, ONLY 26 megs free RAM!, only 41 megs free ROM!!!

8502 = horrible joystick navigation, non recessed screen, low resolution screen, its very big

914c = small, low resolution, recessed screen and the device is big.

e71 = Its not bad if you want a symbian OS
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    I prefer the tro pro over those devices because:

I780 = pain in the but dpad!!!

503g = no recessed screen, 2.4 QVGA, no GPS, ONLY 26 megs free RAM!, only 41 megs free ROM!!!

8502 = horrible joystick navigation, non recessed screen, low resolution screen, its very big

914c = small, low resolution, recessed screen and the device is big.

e71 = Its not bad if you want a symbian OS
    Good points. If you like Symbian, the E71 is a glorious phone to use, if only because of the build quality and keyboard (suprising, as it's a lot cheaper than the Treo).

Not sure of your "big" comments regarding the 8502/914c - on paper there is very little in it:

e71 114.0 57.0 10.0
    Treo 114.0 60.0 13.5
    8502 116.0 55.0 15.0
    914c 113.0 64.0 16.0
    i780 116.0 61.0 13.0

I should come clean and say I'm currently using the i780, and I actually like the optical sensor. Once you get used to it, it means you can do anything on the screen with just one direct swipe and click movement, with one finger, and wins over the D-Pad because no repetetive clicks are required. Where it loses out is in scrolling - if only they had provided a scroll wheel - but then again Treo could use one of those too.

So far the benefits I can see of the Treo vs. i780 are

1. USA compatible (doesn't apply to me, I'm lucky enough to fit in with RoW standards)
    2. Conventional D-Pad (though see above)
    3. Silence switch
    4. Better GPS compatability (7200A works with everything, Samsungs need hacks like GPSGate/Port splitter to work with TomTom etc., - and then it's still hit and miss)
    5. Ever so slightly smaller (but thicker)

Benfefits of the Samsung might be
    1. Looks more "professional"
    2. Cheaper
    3. Faster
    4. More user available ROM and RAM
    5. Proper soft keys
    6. Proper Start/OK buttons instead of tactile-less "press the case" icons (if the feel of the 500/Centro is anything to go by)
    7. Samsung WM enhancements (e.g. task manager on OK button, choice of Samsung-enhanced "Home" screens).
    8. Extra bundled applications in ROM (e.g. RSS reader, MP3 Mini Player, Podcast manager, Media Album, Photoslides etc.)
    9. Better keyboard spacing?

Is that fair? Anyone used both and care to comment? Should I look elsewhere for a new toy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Not sure of your "big" comments regarding the 8502/914c - on paper there is very little in it:

e71 114.0 57.0 10.0
    Treo 114.0 60.0 13.5
    8502 116.0 55.0 15.0
    914c 113.0 64.0 16.0
    i780 116.0 61.0 13.0
    Minor detail: HP 910 is only 15.0 thick
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    The lack of soft keys was very irritating at first. This was probably because I have recently been using non-touchscreen like the Nokia E61 and Treo 500. I'm getting used to it now.

Mechanically, putting two extra buttons below the screen might have been tricky due to the flush surface. It would be very easy to press the wrong button; e.g. the 'Start' button instead of the left softkey.
    Now that makes sense.
    I didn't think about the flush screen.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/19/2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Is the brightness control just like the other treo's (650-750), or is it like all other non-treo mobile devices?
    The reason I ask, is the treo's seem to have a greater range of dim to bright. dim enough so it doesn't blind me driving, or reading in bed, and yet bright enough to see outside on a sunny day.
  14. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    How do you access the menus when using PIE etc., in full screen mode?

Not if they had used proper buttons that you could locate by feel, instead of going for the "sleek" (i.e. cheap) option of making everything from one piece of plastic.
    Last edited by Me2; 09/19/2008 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    How do you access the menus when using PIE etc., in full screen mode?

...clip...
    On the 750, if you hold down the center button, most if not all the same menus pop up.

It would be nice if this is also the case with the pro.
    Just call me Berd.
  16. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    On the 750, if you hold down the center button, most if not all the same menus pop up.

As far as I recall from my 750, that brought up the context menu for copy/paste etc. (same as pressing and holding the stylus). It doesn't get you to the soft key menus, although it does allow you to turn full screen off so they reappear. The i780 does the same.
  17.    #77  

If you hold down the center button (or press and hold on the screen) there's a pop up menu with the following choices:

Select all text
    Refresh page
    Favorites
    Add to Favorites
    Full screen
    Address bar
    Zoom out
    Zoom level
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Arrived today with DHL!
    Have you come across *ANY* bugs at all?

Anything that isn't working properly (general slowdowns, lockups, battery heating up/not charging, missed keypresses, etc...)?
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    Have you come across *ANY* bugs at all?

Anything that isn't working properly (general slowdowns, lockups, battery heating up/not charging, missed keypresses, etc...)?
    I have not seen any of those problems in the 5 days I've had my Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    If you hold down the center button (or press and hold on the screen) there's a pop up menu with the following choices:

Select all text
    Refresh page
    Favorites
    Add to Favorites
    Full screen
    Address bar
    Zoom out
    Zoom level
    They should have atleast gave us a 'back'
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast