Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    Guys/Gals,
    Can anyone confirm what PDANEOPHYTE is saying? Why is Treo Pro a HTC device? Is it true? It is hard to believe that Palm would give up all the design etc and use a HTC device and rename it with Treo Pro. Does anyone have more detailed info? Thank you in advance...
    Palm didn't give up all of the design work, though it has been widely reported that HTC is the ODM for the Pro, and Ed Colligan has said in conference calls that Palm would be outsourcing more of the design work on WinMob devices to ODM partners.

What looks most likely to me is that the Pro is the result of a collaborative design process between Palm--led there by Jon Rubinstein--and HTC. From a recent NY Times article on Palm that ran right when the Pro was announced:

Mr. Rubinstein's sense of urgency was not embraced by everyone. "There was such a thing about preserving the iconic style of the Treo that people didn't want to change it," Mr. Keast said. But Palm could not afford not to.

"Sometimes you need fresh blood to come in," Mr. Colligan said, "or you find yourself in a disruptive competitive situation, and you are forced to change."
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm not sure why Palm decided to take out so many software enhancements
    That is puzzling. Let's hope that at least some of them were due to hardware compatibility/time constraints and that there's an update that will enable them.

The only one I've seen specifically referenced (with a possible explanation, I mean) was using MS-style threaded text instead of Palm's. There was apparently a compatibility issue and Palm decided to go the simple route. Too bad they couldn't just skin/tweak MS's code to mesh with their own look... oh well.
    Last edited by Q; 09/13/2008 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    That is puzzling. Let's hope that at least some of them were due to hardware compatibility/time constraints and that there's an update that will enable them.

The only one I've seen specifically referenced (with a possible explanation, I mean) was using MS-style threaded text instead of Palm's. There was apparently a compatibility issue and Palm decided to go the simple route. Too bad they couldn't just skin/tweak MS's code to mesh with their own look... oh well.
    I think that this has to do a variety of issues, and maybe time was the biggest factor. My favorite part about the MS SMS is that you can easily search. This is a good thing so I can find the conversation I have with someone quickly and easily. Just type in three letters of their name and there's the conversation. Fastest way to send a text or to review what you've been tlaking about.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Thanks for the info.......... I may cancel my order depending on this issue....... Several users swore that it had 100 MB user available storage memory. Can you guess what the user available storage memory was out of the box, 56 MB available is a deal breaker for me.
    Sorry I haven't answered before now - I've been away. I didn't check the memory out of the box. I've checked it now abd my PIM file alone takes up 12 MB (almost 2 000 contacts).
    umm, no, htc is making the units, palm tweaked the software a bit, and htc enhanced it for palm. treo pro is 2/3 htc, and a third palm. oh yeah, and palm gave htc the 755 frame and said can you make this thinner...
    Last edited by Thunder God; 09/14/2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: sp
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    So is a rom dump on the Treo Pro helpful for back porting the MS SMS application to the 800w (the today screen settings)?

Or is this device too different from the 800w.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    .... I miss the smiley symbols in text messages...
    What! No Smileys? That's certainly a deal breaker for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Sorry I haven't answered before now - I've been away. I didn't check the memory out of the box. I've checked it now abd my PIM file alone takes up 12 MB (almost 2 000 contacts).
    hmmm,,,,, so do ya think you had 22 megs of progs installed plus the 12 for PIM when you reported that info. Thanks for letting all of us burn up your time.

I know every one has reported that there is 100 megs user available storage ROM but Ive seen 2 screen shots showing only about 55 megs for users and then youre info confirms that.

I tried to cancel my order because I really suffered with the whole memory management dilemma on the 6700 with 44 megs available ROM but Palm dosent allow that. Their policy is that the buyer just return it after delivery.

I did however find this screen shot which gives me hope,,,,, this guy is showing 99.99 megs free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg k.jpg (592.6 KB, 74 views)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    I tried to cancel my order because I really suffered with the whole memory management dilemma on the 6700 with 44 megs available ROM but Palm dosent allow that. Their policy is that the buyer just return it after delivery.

I did however find this screen shot which gives me hope,,,,, this guy is showing 99.99 megs free.
    Do you mind sharing the problem of having less than 100MB of rom size? I understand the RAM size will affect the performance and the stability of the system but not the ROM size.

I have 2 units of Treo Pro, both have 99.xxMB when it is brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Do you mind sharing the problem of having less than 100MB of rom size? I understand the RAM size will affect the performance and the stability of the system but not the ROM size.

I have 2 units of Treo Pro, both have 99.xxMB when it is brand new.
    Oww,,, thats great to know. My problem with having a low amount of ROM is that on the average my programs that I like to run internal such as RunGPS, pocket lingo, chronos, SPBfinance, Pocket Breeze,,,, etc take up about 45 megs so with devices that allow only 50 or 60 megs of user available ROM I then have to constantly watch the limit and occasionally delete PIE cache. It is much more comforting to have twice as much as I need so that I dont have to think a thing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    umm, no, htc is making the units, palm tweaked the software a bit, and htc enhanced it for palm. treo pro is 2/3 htc, and a third palm. oh yeah, and palm gave htc the 755 frame and said can you make this thinner...
    It remains to be seen how much Palm has done "under the hood" for this Treo. Some of the most useful enhancements - such as keyguard, wifi and ringer switch, option+hardkey functionality are still there. Some of the main reasons why I prefer Palm WM devices the most.
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Some of the most useful enhancements - such as keyguard, wifi and ringer switch, option+hardkey functionality are still there.
    Not only that, some are improved. On option + hardkey now, you don't have to hit them both at once, making it easier to use the phone one-handed. And there are somehow supposed to be 10 settings for what apps to launch (according to one of the videos I saw... I still haven't worked out how there are that many!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Not only that, some are improved. On option + hardkey now, you don't have to hit them both at once, making it easier to use the phone one-handed. And there are somehow supposed to be 10 settings for what apps to launch (according to one of the videos I saw... I still haven't worked out how there are that many!).
    I think the Send, Start, OK, Calendar, Mail hardbuttons are all programmable. The Option button doubles it, giving us 10 quick launch possibilities. Fantastic indeed.
    It remains to be seen how much Palm has done "under the hood" for this Treo. Some of the most useful enhancements - such as keyguard, wifi and ringer switch, option+hardkey functionality are still there. Some of the main reasons why I prefer Palm WM devices the most.
    i love those switches actually. i wish htc could incorporate some of those into their newer devices but i think they feel it will take away from the sleekness of the devices. i may pick up a treo pro as a back up device, but with the loads of crap that i carry on my phone, the treo may not be my first choice. right now i am really holding out for the touch hd.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    i love those switches actually. i wish htc could incorporate some of those into their newer devices but i think they feel it will take away from the sleekness of the devices. i may pick up a treo pro as a back up device, but with the loads of crap that i carry on my phone, the treo may not be my first choice. right now i am really holding out for the touch hd.
    Perhaps you place more importance on aesthetics (nothing wrong with that), but my priorities lie in efficiency and effectiveness. I think the Treo wins both of those with ease, but particularly efficiency. No other device is faster at placing calls, responding to texts/emails, launching programs, etc. than a Treo form factor device.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I too now have a Treo Pro!

First impressions - beautiful device.

The lack of soft keys is bugging me though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

First impressions - beautiful device.

The lack of soft keys is bugging me though...
    Yea,
    but doesn't it look soo much better without them!
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

How much free memory does it have out of the box?
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    How much free memory does it have out of the box?
    Too late, I've filled it full of crap already!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I just searched ebay and came across this auction. 15 units available

Treo Pro
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast