Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I work for a very good reseller of computers and such..wont give out any names...

but I can buy the brand new Treo Pro for 480 shipped to my house...
    It is not worth the 550 Palm makes it to be.... Just sharing the news..

Retail 549.99Mn 0Mx 0 Wt 1.6500 Ht 7 Wd 7 Dp 4 SM NCST(COST) 471.7900
    Palm always sells them for $50-100 less on their website when you sign up for the developer's program. With free shipping, you might be able to get it for less directly from Palm than from your own employer. haha
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This reads like a scam without someone to send my money to. Thanks for the worthwhile contribution!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dport View Post
    Lucky you

Doesn't change whether it is or isn't worth $550 though
    I work for a very good reseller of computers and such..wont give out any names...

Where is somewhere not so fun?

I don't get your point. Ever heard of something called profit?? Let's see, why don't you make something, anything, and afterwards tally your cost, say $480, and then sell it for $480 keeping in mind post-sales support and service and so forth for at least a year.

Let us know how long you stay in business.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    dport. can I get one treo pro from you at $490? So you can make some money and I can save too...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilisco View Post
    This reads like a scam without someone to send my money to. Thanks for the worthwhile contribution!
    I have no reason to prove myself. Call me a scammer, but I am not. If you want proof, I can show it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Where is somewhere not so fun?
    Somewhere in the US. Actually, the US isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I don't get your point. Ever heard of something called profit?? Let's see, why don't you make something, anything, and afterwards tally your cost, say $480, and then sell it for $480 keeping in mind post-sales support and service and so forth for at least a year.

Let us know how long you stay in business.
    Point well taken. Every large company always buys things to make profit. But now lets look deep into this. Palm has fired/laid off tons of employees. They are obviously not doing well. Why make an item that is cheap in cost and sell it for 550? Smart marketing? Nah. Not at all. They are making 75 dollars (at least from my company) on every unit they sell. For a company who is about to hit rock bottom, you would think they would make as little as possible (15-25 a unit) to make more and more people want to afford the palm pro. I want the palm pro, but times are hard now and the $550 price point didn't make me want the phone even more. However, the 480 is looking better.

My company has been around for 20 years, and we will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    dport. can I get one treo pro from you at $490? So you can make some money and I can save too...
    I didn't come on here to sell these. That was not my intention. My intention was to inform the TC group that Palm is making a killing on an item.
    so tell me which smart phone has only 15 to 25 bucks profit? (prove it first) I'm interested in buying for such reasonable price.
  10.    #10  
    Thats not the point. Palm is the only company I have seen or read of having hard times. They have laid off tons of employees.

Most Blackberries without a contract have about a 8-10% margin. Or ranging from 30-50 profit. Which is fine. The HTC Diamond also has a 75 dollar mark up, again that is fine.

The Treo Pro, the last I have read, is not being sold with a new contract. Therefore you only have the option to spend 550. Which doesnt seem logical to me for Palm to do that since they are hitting the wall *** backwards.
    Since you have them delivered to you at less than $500, can you turn around and sell those Treo Pro to others at $500? I may interested.
  12.    #12  
    Not for Consumers.

However, I can open an account for TreoCentral and sell them to you (as a company) as low as 525 and maybe even less if TC wants a nice bulk order.
    This really isn't a big deal imo.

Stageworks was kind enough to post similar information here (and less inflammatory) where you can get $50 off. All you have to be is a student or educator, just like what Dell offers (and it doesn't look like they even verify that info, no surprise).

I would not contact or exchange money with the OP to save an extra $20--not worth the risk or effort.

--> http://partnerstore.palm.com/home/index.jsp

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This really isn't a big deal imo.

Stageworks was kind enough to post similar information here (and less inflammatory) where you can get $50 off. All you have to be is a student or educator, just like what Dell offers (and it doesn't look like they even verify that info, no surprise).

I would not contact or exchange money with the OP to save an extra $20--not worth the risk or effort.

--> http://partnerstore.palm.com/home/index.jsp

Now that is a good price after knowing what Palms prise is to the company I work for.

Palm is probably making 1-3% selling these to resellers (depends on the size of the reseller). But making 10-15% to consumers who buy it str8 from them.
    Nothing wrong with palm making money. The buyer sets the price when many substitutes exist. If they don't buy enough, palm or its resellers will lower it. Not sure what the problem is here..
  16.    #17  
    No problem at all. Hell, they can sell it for 700 for all I care.
    But again, for a company who is not doing well, why not make the price eye catching from the get-go.
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    From Palm's standpoint, they probably want to price it a little higher now so that they have room to cut that price later (early adopter tax). I can easily see Palm's price going down to $499 when they want to... maybe lower.

Also, it's possible that some of their component costs may drop, though there's a limit to how much we users/armchair pundits can do beyond speculate on that.
    Last edited by Q; 09/12/2008 at 11:40 AM.
    But again, for a company who is not doing well, why not make the price eye catching from the get-go.
    Businesses try to maximize PROFIT, not maximize revenue. It has nothing to do with whether they are doing well or not, profit is more important than revenue.

If they sold these treos at a price where they made profit of $10/unit vs $80/unit, they would need to sell 8 times as many. If they made profit of $160/unit they would only have to sell half as many. They have priced it where their research, analysis, and experience in the market lead them to think they will maximize profit. i.e., they don't believe they would sell 8 times as many if they cut price by $70, and they think sales would drop by more than half if they increased price $80.

HTH,
    G
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Do I need to mention the 1st generation iPhone? Apple was able to charge a fortune to early adopters. You can't blame Palm for trying the same thing. If there are poor sales, they can cut the price.

Also, Palm can't undercut it's distributors when selling direct.

In any case, I think the Pro is fairly priced compared to other unlocked phones like the HTC Diamond.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast