Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    If HTC made a device with the same features as the Touch Pro with a front Keyboard I'd be all over it and may keep it for a real long time. The Diamond does nothing for me. However the Pro even with the sliding keyboard does appeal to me. Again though, battery life is a concern. I will not put an extended hump back battery on any device. Just takes away from the form factor. HTC is good Company and Treo fans can't deny that since they have made products/devices for Palm among others. They broke away from that and decided to go to market on their own with good success apparently. So far not a huge fan of anything they've made but it seems they are improving that with the Diamond and Pro. I'm sure they will be great sellers.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    If HTC made a device with the same features as the Touch Pro with a front Keyboard I'd be all over it and may keep it for a real long time.
    Aside from the better camera and faster processor, that's the Treo Pro... (Which is probably why Palm didn't name it the Treo 850.)
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    No kidding??? That sounds awesome! What a phone!

you should get one....
    Yeah I would wager the Diamond isn't gonna appeal much to the Palm crowd to begin with.

Slider (Touch Pro) or no keyboard at all pretty much puts it in an entirely different category. Until that changes they aren't really competing for the same customers.

Now the BB Bold or Javelin on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Aside from the better camera and faster processor, that's the Treo Pro... (Which is probably why Palm didn't name it the Treo 850.)
    Don't forget about much larger battery, 3.5mm headset jack, flush LCD and fully-functional GPS. More like the Treo 900w.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Now the BB Bold or Javelin on the other hand...
    Well there you've got an OS issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Don't forget about much larger battery, 3.5mm headset jack, flush LCD and fully-functional GPS. More like the Treo 900w.
    Nsxprime, what are you talking about? The Treo Pro has:
    • larger battery
    • 3.5mm headset jack
    • flush LCD
    • fully-functional GPS

When I said:
    In response to VibrantRedGT talking about the Touch Pro hypothetically having a front QWERTY keyboard (and I even quoted the portion of his statement I was responding to), I was speaking of how the Touch Pro has a faster processor and better camera than the Treo Pro. Now sir, what in the world are you talking about? My statement was not some effort to tell VibrantRedGT to get an 800w, but it seems you're confused about what he and I were discussing. Again you've jumped into something I've said to him (as you've done before). And this time you're missing the subject, which you've also done previously in my regard. All in this very same thread.
    Last edited by darnell; 09/17/2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You said a whole bunch, but I think your sentiments are summarized in that which I've quoted above. You think all the "extra stuff" makes for better, but some of us disagree with you.
    I don't think it makes it "better". I'm not interested in the Diamond or Touch Pro because they have accelerometers. I just don't see what's wrong with the device having it.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    First of all, I don't like devices that rely mainly on using a touch screen, I like having the touch screen, but often use buttons and often prefer to use hard keys. I like that touch and responsiveness of hard keys. For some things I like touching the screen, for other things I like hard keys. So the HTC devices have no keyboard on front and less buttons, because they're trying to leverage more use of the touch screen and accelerometer. And they are totally IPhone clones. Remember, I said several times I find IPhones to be rather annoying.
    I don't think that's what we were discussing here. Yes we all know the Diamond doesn't have many buttons on it, but my response was in reference to Malatesta saying that the Diamond is full of unnecessary bells and whistles. The Diamond being a touch screen only device is another issue in itself which is unrelated to whether or not those bells and whistles make the Diamond a better or worser device.

I definitely much prefer buttons myself. I'm not interested in the Diamond at all, except maybe to play with until the Touch Pro comes out (but I don't have money to waste like that). I'm just saying, bashing HTC for putting in bells and whistles doesn't make sense since the device isn't any worse off than if it didn't have them. Supposedly, the Verizon Diamond isn't going to have an accelerometer. Assuming it looked identical to the Sprint version, would you able to look at both and tell the difference? Would the Verizon version perform better? I highly doubt it. Therefore, I maintain that having extra features that some users may not want/need does not necessarily make the device worse, especially if there is option to turn off those features.

Second, this is really still button related, but a keyboard I have to spin the device around and pull out just is not going to work for me. For some that's a really neat feature, but for me it's a pain I don't care to deal with.
    I understand and agree, but that's not what we're talking about. It's not about you or your personal preferences. I'm just saying that I can't see how Malatesta thinks HTC has degraded and detracted from their devices by adding extra stuff to it.

So for some of us, yes, the extra makes it worse, because they don't have one thing I like, more buttons and keyboard on the front.
    No, you're looking at it completely wrong. The Diamond is meant to be an all touch screen device regardless of what's in it. Similarly to the HTC Touch before it. It's not like HTC decided to give up a keyboard on it because they wanted to put an accelerometer on it. This is the intended design of the Diamond, and it is what it is. If HTC wanted to make a device with a front facing keyboard, they would simply do so.

That's like saying you don't like your Porshe being smaller and faster than your Ford F-150 because then it doesn't have the same towing capacity. Two completely different dimensions. If you want a device with a front facing keyboard,you get one with a front facing keyboard (Treo, Q9, Blackjack,etc). If you want an all touch screen interface, then you get one with an all touch screen interface. No one who's dead set on which type of design they want gets the two confused or compares them seriously hoping to get the functionality of both worlds in one or the other.

Now that you read that long jibba jabba I just wrote, I'll just post a basic summary of what I'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Slider (Touch Pro) or no keyboard at all pretty much puts it in an entirely different category. Until that changes they aren't really competing for the same customers.
    Just like the iPhone does not appeal to darnell, I wouldn't expect the Touch Diamond or Touch Pro to either. They're different devices intended for different users.

If the Treo 800w had an accelerometer, I'd probably turn it off unless some future application provided a very compelling reason to have it on. Because the current uses for it I don't like and only make it an annoyance for me personally speaking. On the IPhone I've played games that require moving the device rather than having buttons and I guess that's cools for Nintendo Wii fans, but not me.
    Once again, going back to my point of having options. You don't like it? Turn it off and then move on. No one gets hurt, pigs remain on the ground, and hell is still nice and warm It's not like you're suffering somehow because you had to turn off something you didn't like.
    Trevante,

My post was oozing with sarcasm and purposefully inflammatory, it wasn't meant to be taken (or refuted) too seriously.

Though I do still stand by it Regardless, I have a few moments, so lets fisk this baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Nothing wrong with imitating competitors if you can do it properly, develop on their ideas/style, and do it so you're not just directly copying what they've done. Yes the Diamond is obviously iPhone influenced (most things are nowadays ), but does that make it a worser device? Do you feel that the Diamond would be a better device if it wasn't semi-similar to the iPhone?
    I have always said and still say it'll be a pretty good device--just not for me. I just find the "lets run a UI on top of the UI" thing a bit silly. I also deplore the current fad with "Make it black, shiny and a slab and they will come!" mentality, though who can deny that it sells?
    It's all about options...having an accelerometer makes the device more interesting period. Sure it's not necessary or even that important, but it opens up doors for more than just ignoring calls by turning the phone over.
    Of course. If I had the magical power to make the Diamond disappear from the market, I wouldn't. I'm glad it's out there for people, just a little tired of the whole "touch" thing.

Most of this is personal opinion of course, but outside of a handful of uses (alarm, silence call) the accelerometer is a sort of gimmicky tech...but yeah, I would rather have more gimmicks than not I suppose.
    And like I said, does adding that extra stuff make it a worser device? Does it detract from the device some how? And I hope you don't plan to say anything about price because it's irrelevant.
    I'll just say this: by removing all the buttons on the device, the whole Touch UI thing puts form over function.

Older devices, though uglier by today's standards, had a ton of buttons that the user could map for single touch launching of their favorite app. Throw in AEButton Plus and now you've added a potential 4 functions per button.

In short, you can do more faster with dedicated hardware keys e.g. the Mail and Calendar keys on the Treo, then by going back to "Home" everytime and hitting a link.

Tradeoff? More buttons = less pretty. I'm not dumb though, I realize that now smartphones are going mainstream, those who are more concerned with efficiency will take a back seat to what looks nicer. That's fine, let the market wok like that. I'll still lament.
    Why such a negative explanation? Is it that they wish they could run something else? Or is it just that they decided to follow the general market trend and come up with their own touch screen interface? I just don't see the logic in your statement. You make it sound like HTC is the highschool wannabe or something because they put a fancy interface on their phones. It's called innovation and competition.
    It's a tacit admission by HTC that they don't think WM is good enough as is and they wish it were more iPhone-ish. They kind of are a wannabe, but that's fine, it's what the customers want as well, evidently.
    They didn't put it there so they could be the new cool kid at school, they put it there to give their devices more of an edge of their competitors.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't, but I'm calling it what it is: frippery on top of the OS. Trying to make WM something it currently is not.
    Is having TouchFlo3D any different than people putting custom launchers on PalmOS?
    Nope, excactly the same actually.
    Are those people in denial that PalmOS is an ugly, boring OS with little stock customizability?
    I dunno. PalmOS is "an ugly, boring OS with little stock customizability", but whether or not individuals actually admit that when they run an iPhone emulaator on top, I have no idea. Ask them.
    I'm pretty sure that there were programs that had Today Screen functionality for PalmOS. Are those who used them in denial that their phone runs PalmOS and not Windows Mobile?
    Yes, pretty much
    So lets say every Touch Diamond/Touch Pro/etc. owner owns up and admits that the iPhone was an influence for the interface on their phones. What next? What happens after that? Do pigs fly? Does hell freeze over? Don't really understand what you were trying to convey here.
    Just my opinion on the Touch Diamond,why I don't like it over the 800w and where the market is heading--I just don't agree with the trend. That's the point of this thread: to discuss these issues.
    It's not about being a "true WM fan" (man that sounds dumb )
    Yeah, that was tongue and cheek.
    ...it's about having a device that works the way you want it to. If you want your Today Screen to be a regular Today Screen, then you turn it off, simple as that. But if you prefer or don't mind the T3D interface, then you use it and enjoy it. I cannot understand this strange mentality of not enjoying available options. You cannot say that it's better to not have the option of using T3D. After a few years with Windows Mobile, I don't think I'd mind seeing something other than the Today Screen.
    Which is fine. Once again, my opinion of the matter is thus:

HTC is milking the whole iPhone/Touch gimmickry going on in the market right now (and now 3rd parties are mimicking TouchSlow3d and it's look. Ugh, it's like one big reach around).

I'm bored with every company coming out with a shiny black slab© (Instinct, Diamond, Diamond Pro, Diamond HD, iPhone, Voyager, p560, Xenium, BB Thunder, Shine, Glyde, Prada, iPerformer, LG Vue, Paris, e66, Omnia, etc. ) but hey, if people want it, good for them. I just find the market getting boring.

Can HTC release anything that is not "Touch" anymore?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't think it makes it "better". I'm not interested in the Diamond or Touch Pro because they have accelerometers. I just don't see what's wrong with the device having it.
    As I've mentioned, that has been provided minus features I prefer.

You're mentioning accelerometers and my response is, so what, I didn't want it, don't need it and the thing does not have what I really want.

I don't think that's what we were discussing here. Yes we all know the Diamond doesn't have many buttons on it, but my response was in reference to Malatesta saying that the Diamond is full of unnecessary bells and whistles. The Diamond being a touch screen only device is another issue in itself which is unrelated to whether or not those bells and whistles make the Diamond a better or worser device.
    That's not the case for us, but I'll let Malatesta say if he agrees with me on this. But for me/us the additional features are not of useful benefit for what we need in a device. What we need are things like the keyboard and hard keys. It seems we're talking around each other, because you're praising the bells and whistles and we're saying we don't want a bell or a whistle and never asked for either.

I'm just saying, bashing HTC for putting in bells and whistles doesn't make sense since the device isn't any worse off than if it didn't have them.
    Let me repeat what I said already, nobody is trying to bash HTC and as VibrantRedGT noted and we already knew, we might already have devices made by HTC for all we know. So please end this claim we're trying to bash HTC. We're simply saying, that the device to us is total fluff, but not what we want. All it's got is some bells an whistles, but it's missing the stuff we really want. So we're saying, no, nevermind, we don't want it, it's an IPhone clone, put those bells in the can for all we care, we never asked for them.

Supposedly, the Verizon Diamond isn't going to have an accelerometer. Assuming it looked identical to the Sprint version, would you able to look at both and tell the difference? Would the Verizon version perform better? I highly doubt it. Therefore, I maintain that having extra features that some users may not want/need does not necessarily make the device worse, especially if there is option to turn off those features.
    It really is not a question that matters to me either way, again, don't want it, never wanted anybody's "Diamond".

I understand and agree, but that's not what we're talking about. It's not about you or your personal preferences. I'm just saying that I can't see how Malatesta thinks HTC has degraded and detracted from their devices by adding extra stuff to it.
    Actually it is some of what is being talked about, because while HTC is adding all these other things, they're missing the features we want. Yes this really is a device for a totally different market. So for us, the bells are of no real use or benefit and a step backwards for us when we desire other features more.

No, you're looking at it completely wrong. The Diamond is meant to be an all touch screen device regardless of what's in it. Similarly to the HTC Touch before it. It's not like HTC decided to give up a keyboard on it because they wanted to put an accelerometer on it. This is the intended design of the Diamond, and it is what it is. If HTC wanted to make a device with a front facing keyboard, they would simply do so.
    I totally understand why they did what they're doing, to compete with the IPhone and those who love the IPhone design. I'm still saying, because the question that started this thread is open to ALL Treo 800w owners, that I don't like it and for me it makes the device WORSE. I don't attempt to speak for the needs of those others who want it, I say to them, enjoy it. But as for the question and my thoughts, that's it.

That's like saying you don't like your Porshe being smaller and faster than your Ford F-150 because then it doesn't have the same towing capacity.
    I don't like the Porshe because tall people can't fit well in them, so how fast they go does not matter to me when I can't even fit in the thing to begin with. So the F-150 wins by default . You're thinking in terms of what others want, I'm speaking about what I prefer. I'm not trying or going to attempt to speak for what others want. I'll let them speak for themselves.

Just like the iPhone does not appeal to darnell, I wouldn't expect the Touch Diamond or Touch Pro to either. They're different devices intended for different users.
    And this is why Malatesta or I can say the Diamond's design is a step backwards in our opinion. So why you drag this out in very lenghty back and forth I do not know, but this is my last in this exchange and I doubt I'll take the time to read any lenghty response.

You don't like it? Turn it off and then move on.
    How about I'm just not buying it and just don't like it and don't mind saying I don't like it.
    If they would just give us the Palm Treo Pro with a 3.2 MP camera we would never have this thread. Palm has no idea how many units they would sell but I can tell ya it would be huge. Put them back on the map again. Right now the 800 is not the Palm saving device they thought it would be. Its really the Pro. Bring it to CDMA and Sprint/Verizon can't keep them in stock. Many of us would come back.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If they would just give us the Palm Treo Pro with a 3.2 MP camera we would never have this thread.
    You really think a better camera would be a big deal for a lot of people?
    Well you have to aleast match the competition. I do take a lot of pictures. I actually have over 700 pictures on Sprint. I also have about 100 on my memory card (I have two Boys 3 and 9) The Sanyo M1 2MP camera with auto focus and flash still beats every Sprint device to date. I need to see Diamond pictures though. Actually the 2MP camera on the Pro will be fine to me. Palm just needs to get it in the Sprint line up soon before more people leave the 800 and Palm for good due to the competition. I for one would come back to a Palm device again. We are starting to get other choices now.

The Treo 800w has the same camera as the Treo Pro.

Treo™ Pro
    Camera 2.0 megapixels with up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
    Treo 800w
    Camera 2.0 megapixels (1600x1200) with 2x digital zoom and video capture
    I can tell you, digital zoom is always garbage. If it's not optical zoom, don't put any stock in it at all.

We are starting to get other choices now.
    Well that's very true. When we were in the years of Treos with only the Palm OS, nobody was looking much at other devices because of desires to remain on the same OS. But now we who have made the jump to WM are able to port to a host of other devices. I mean the 800w is fine with me although I want them to work this GPS issue out. But in providing devices with WM, they've also provided the means by which they'll lose many long time customers if they don't meet enough of the market's demands.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Well Im keeping my 800w. while I can appreciate the Diamond its not my kind of phone. Cool looking though I have to admit. My wife got the Centro last year in December. It was her first smart phone and I think Ill upgrade her to the Diamond. Not sure which one she will like more though the Diamond or the Touch pro. What I would love to have is a Treo Pro with an 800w keyboard. SO I could have a sexsier looking phone that preforms the way I like. Best of both worlds I guess.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    The Diamond has ZERO appeal for me. I'll take function over form any day.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    As for more important issues, where's my CDMA BB Bold
    darnell, I was agreeing with you. The Treo Pro is clearly a MUCH better device than the 800w and on-par with the Touch Pro. Each does a couple of things that the other doesn't, but they're very comparable. The biggest difference being that the Treo Pro is GSM-only right now.
    Here are pictures from my devices.

Palm Treo 700wx. For some reason pictures from this devices always had a cloudy look to them.

Palm Treo 800w. It actually took decent pics but not anywhere near the Sanyo M1 2MP.

This is a Hydrogen Gas Generator which when hooked up to a vehicle can gain significant fuel mileage.

BlackBerry Curve. The trackball zooms in/out when taking pics. Its a nice feature.

Sanyo M1. The pics speak for themselves. My 9 year old son has this phone now and when I need to take a close up pic I borrow it from him.

Here is where the M1 camera shines. Close up pictures.

Try doing this with a PDA device.

Mogul. My son in a fire truck.

Sanyo 8300. This camera was under 1MP. This is when we got a direct hit from Hurricane Wilma in 2005. A very scary day. We had 130 MPH winds. My house held up fine.

Wow, well you're very much the photographer. I guess you like that flash on the back of the BB Curve too?

Thank God you survived that hurricane. I've been through one when living in an apartment in my "single years" in Atlanta and they are no fun at all. My windows were closed, but the blinds and curtains where flying up because there was so much wind.

For pics I use a Kodak EasShare DX6490. I usually don't use the PDAs for pics unless I'm desperate. But I don't take many pictures, so I never thought about PDA cams much. But I guess some people are using them, alot .
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Bells and whistles on an obvious iPhone-clone is what the Touch Diamond is...

Kudos to HTC for aping a lot of gimmickry from the iPhone that elicits "oohs" and "ahhhs" but actually yields little in return... denial... TouchSlow3D...
    LMAO!

And like I said, does adding that extra stuff make it a worser device? Does it detract from the device some how?

What next? What happens after that? Do pigs fly? Does hell freeze over?
    Yes. Yes. Hence the new nickname: "TouchSlow3D" = Slow.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Box of chocolate is to Forest Gump, as Box of Kleenex is to your emotional (or passionate) post? j/k Just remember, people are entitled to their opinions.

I was disappointed to learn little from your lengthy post, but you do make a couple of good points. What I did get from it is your desire for progress and continued advancement in technology and flashy features.

Just because HTC makes the hardware for Palm, doesn't mean that HTC device software is as good as Palm's. I've noticed that HTC devices are a lot more buggy and less reliable than Palm devices. Palm has the experience and know-how to make a solid, reliable device. I don't think HTC has Palm's caliber of programming expertise. At least not yet. Looking at the big picture, Palm's ability to make their software work with their devices is legendary. The 800w is the best cdma phone I've ever used (minor issues notwithstanding). I plan on getting the Touch Pro (cdma version), but I'm very concerned about the many issues people are experiencing w/ their gsm version...

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm bored with every company coming out with a shiny black slab© (Instinct, Diamond, Diamond Pro, Diamond HD, iPhone, Voyager, p560, Xenium, BB Thunder, Shine, Glyde, Prada, iPerformer, LG Vue, Paris, e66, Omnia, etc. ) but hey, if people want it, good for them. I just find the market getting boring.
    The CHEAP imitation iPhones are even worse. They're the ones that have the inverse Apple logos or labeled "iFone" fake iPhones you find demo'ed on youtube. The cheap build... cheesy and excessive "chroming" is sickening. I ordered one (plain, least fugly version) as a present for an investor, but the company was out of stock and tried to get me to take a version that had the fake Apple logo and "iFone" branding... I promptly cancelled the order.

This is a Hydrogen Gas Generator which when hooked up to a vehicle can gain significant fuel mileage.

Sorry to break it to you, but based on my months of research... HHO / Hydrogen Generators simply don't work. They're gimmicks... pretty much a multi-level marketing scheme to make easy money based on hype. Hope you didn't spend thousands of dollars on something that produces no significant improvement in mileage / performance. They even have those weekly or monthly HHO pow wows / meets / get togethers... where people show off their HHO kit, double kits, six pack of HHO bottles, LOL. Wikipedia says something about people "lying to your face" ("prima face"; in first person) about the results of their HHO kits. A NASA scientist supposedly said something about HHO's being worthless in cars. Then again, what do I know about HHO generators?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast