Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I've had three 800w's and every one has been as buggy as the one before it. Got it?
    Nope, because if I cried as much as you I'd have dumped the 800w a long time ago.
    On all EV phones, there is supposed to be an option for the end user for incoming calls:
    • Interrupt my data session
    • Do not interrupt (ignore --> voicemail)

The 800w is no different and has this options as well. Some people (probably a lot) turn it to "do not interrupt" and run Exchange and "poof" no more calls.

Gonna bet a lot of people tweak and mess with their phones so much, they forgot they did that, did not understand what they did or just have no idea.

You simply cannot have both an active data connection and voice on CDMA. Just a limitation on all phones and devices on Sprint and Verizon.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Nope, because if I cried as much as you I'd have dumped the 800w a long time ago.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Love that you can set the Diamond and Touch Pro up to ignore incoming calls by turning it face down and snooze the alarm the same way. The reviews are also very positive about the sound quality. Way to go, HTC.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Love that you can set the Diamond and Touch Pro up to ignore incoming calls by turning it face down and snooze the alarm the same way. The reviews are also very positive about the sound quality. Way to go, HTC.
    No kidding??? That sounds awesome! What a phone!

you should get one....
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Well the Treo has that patented ringer off switch, that's always worked pretty good for me .

If I have my device in a bag and it happens to be faced down, if I have an alarm set, I don't want to miss it, or a call .
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    No kidding??? That sounds awesome! What a phone!

you should get one....

Well the Treo has that patented ringer off switch, that's always worked pretty good for me .

If I have my device in a bag and it happens to be faced down, if I have an alarm set, I don't want to miss it, or a call .
    I don't know the specifics of that function, but I'm fairly certain that's not how it works.

More than likely it uses the accelerometer to detect that the device has been picked up (when you're looking at the screen to see who's calling), then when you turn it over it ignores the call/snoozes the alarm. If it's already face down, then it should ring as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    The 800w is no different and has this options as well. Some people (probably a lot) turn it to "do not interrupt" and run Exchange and "poof" no more calls.
    I doubt this is the case for most people. There can't be that many people that don't understand what this option means. Furthermore, running exchange does not mean a constantly active data connection to the server, unless that person is consistently receiving emails/folder updates. I think it's more likely that there's an actual bug somewhere that some people are experiencing.

Way to go, HTC.
    Lol, I think HTC has a new cheerleader.
    Most people that have a Windows device know of the Data Connection option (not all people of course). I believe out of the box that option is checked. If not nobody would get calls. There is a radio issue on some devices. I know when my first 800 crapped out the symptoms were no inbound calls or messages.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    More than likely it uses the accelerometer to detect that the device has been picked up (when you're looking at the screen to see who's calling), then when you turn it over it ignores the call/snoozes the alarm. If it's already face down, then it should ring as normal.

I doubt this is the case for most people. There can't be that many people that don't understand what this option means. Furthermore, running exchange does not mean a constantly active data connection to the server, unless that person is consistently receiving emails/folder updates. I think it's more likely that there's an actual bug somewhere that some people are experiencing.
    But no ringer off switch. With the switch I can already ignore things while the device does a little vibrate. If I have to pick up the phone, I can press a button to ignore a call, to turn it over is pointless. I mean for some people they'll enjoy just being able to do it, but I find pressing a single button to be way more simplistic.

If a call comes in, and my device is sitting face up, it's easier for me to press a button without even picking up the device, than to have to pick it up and flip it over. And most of the time my device is on a cradle anyway. I'm not going to flip it on the cradle .

I really did not want to talk about missing calls during data connections, till Malatesta pointed out that option. And then I remembered I have it set so I always get calls. And I can't say I've missed any calls. Even when I'm in a full data connection using something like GPS, I get my calls. I'm used to not getting them from my time before the 800w, but they've been all coming in with the 800w. I can't say I've had a call missed yet.

Being reminded of the option, I have to say, it's been working 100% for me.

I'll put up a poll and we'll see what most owners think.
    Exactly right. I guess that I should have explained how it worked for those who were having trouble grasping the concept.
    darnell, I guess that you missed the hard buttons on the front of the Diamond. Feel free to search for pictures to refresh your memory.
    darnell, I guess that you missed the hard buttons on the front of the Diamond. Feel free to search for pictures to refresh your memory.
    Again, my device is usually on a cradle, so flipping the thing means nothing for me.

I am fully aware that they provide something to press on the device. Every device does. My point is that the flipping feature does not stir me the way it stirs you. For me, it's not at all a consideration when looking at features. For me, the thing trying to flip around with my movements of the screen is annoying. My sister's Iphone is rather annoying to me personally.
    Bells and whistles on an obvious iPhone-clone is what the Touch Diamond is...

Kudos to HTC for aping a lot of gimmickry from the iPhone that elicits "oohs" and "ahhhs" but actually yields little in return

It's like they're in denial that their phones really run WM and they wish they could run something else. And the WM users who buy it denying the iPhone has anything to do with it.

The Today Screen is the best part of WM Pro imo. Covering it up with TouchSlow3D is sacrilege to the true WM fans ;-)

But no ringer off switch. With the switch I can already ignore things while the device does a little vibrate. If I have to pick up the phone, I can press a button to ignore a call, to turn it over is pointless. I mean for some people they'll enjoy just being able to do it, but I find pressing a single button to be way more simplistic.

If a call comes in, and my device is sitting face up, it's easier for me to press a button without even picking up the device, than to have to pick it up and flip it over. And most of the time my device is on a cradle anyway. I'm not going to flip it on the cradle .
    I understand a ringer switch is better for some, but others will enjoy the option of flipping it over. It's not an outstanding idea to me either, but I don't see what's wrong with having that option. Hell I'm just glad they put volume buttons on it this time (Really bothered me on my Mogul).

Nothing wrong with imitating competitors if you can do it properly, develop on their ideas/style, and do it so you're not just directly copying what they've done. Yes the Diamond is obviously iPhone influenced (most things are nowadays ), but does that make it a worser device? Do you feel that the Diamond would be a better device if it wasn't semi-similar to the iPhone?

I say semi-similar because the only similarities I see are an all touch screen interface, a fancy looking UI, and an accelerometer. Other than that, most of the iPhone's bells and whistles are in its software. Obviously the software in the Diamond and the iPhone behave way different to say that the Diamond is a blatant clone of the iPhone. Those who want Windows Mobile functionality probably won't look for it in an iPhone and vice versa.

Kudos to HTC for aping a lot of gimmickry from the iPhone that elicits "oohs" and "ahhhs" but actually yields little in return
    It's all about options...having an accelerometer makes the device more interesting period. Sure it's not necessary or even that important, but it opens up doors for more than just ignoring calls by turning the phone over. Software is usually what makes a device, and if there's more hardware to complement the software, there's going to be more interesting, usefull software available.

And like I said, does adding that extra stuff make it a worser device? Does it detract from the device some how? And I hope you don't plan to say anything about price because it's irrelevant.

It's like they're in denial that their phones really run WM and they wish they could run something else.
    Why such a negative explanation? Is it that they wish they could run something else? Or is it just that they decided to follow the general market trend and come up with their own touch screen interface? I just don't see the logic in your statement. You make it sound like HTC is the highschool wannabe or something because they put a fancy interface on their phones. It's called innovation and competition. They didn't put it there so they could be the new cool kid at school, they put it there to give their devices more of an edge of their competitors.

Is having TouchFlo3D any different than people putting custom launchers on PalmOS? Are those people in denial that PalmOS is an ugly, boring OS with little stock customizability? I'm pretty sure that there were programs that had Today Screen functionality for PalmOS. Are those who used them in denial that their phone runs PalmOS and not Windows Mobile?

And the WM users who buy it denying the iPhone has anything to do with it.
    So lets say every Touch Diamond/Touch Pro/etc. owner owns up and admits that the iPhone was an influence for the interface on their phones. What next? What happens after that? Do pigs fly? Does hell freeze over? Don't really understand what you were trying to convey here.

The Today Screen is the best part of WM Pro imo. Covering it up with TouchSlow3D is sacrilege to the true WM fans ;-)
    It's not about being a "true WM fan" (man that sounds dumb ), it's about having a device that works the way you want it to. If you want your Today Screen to be a regular Today Screen, then you turn it off, simple as that. But if you prefer or don't mind the T3D interface, then you use it and enjoy it. I cannot understand this strange mentality of not enjoying available options. You cannot say that it's better to not have the option of using T3D. After a few years with Windows Mobile, I don't think I'd mind seeing something other than the Today Screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

It's like they're in denial that their phones really run WM and they wish they could run something else. And the WM users who buy it denying the iPhone has anything to do with it.

If you can't figure out how to turn off TF3D, drop me a PM and I'll instruct you on the use of Today plugins.

And like I said, does adding that extra stuff make it a worser device? Does it detract from the device some how? And I hope you don't plan to say anything about price because it's irrelevant.
    You said a whole bunch, but I think your sentiments are summarized in that which I've quoted above. You think all the "extra stuff" makes for better, but some of us disagree with you.

First of all, I don't like devices that rely mainly on using a touch screen, I like having the touch screen, but often use buttons and often prefer to use hard keys. I like that touch and responsiveness of hard keys. For some things I like touching the screen, for other things I like hard keys. So the HTC devices have no keyboard on front and less buttons, because they're trying to leverage more use of the touch screen and accelerometer. And they are totally IPhone clones. Remember, I said several times I find IPhones to be rather annoying.

Second, this is really still button related, but a keyboard I have to spin the device around and pull out just is not going to work for me. For some that's a really neat feature, but for me it's a pain I don't care to deal with.

So for some of us, yes, the extra makes it worse, because they don't have one thing I like, more buttons and keyboard on the front.

If the Treo 800w had an accelerometer, I'd probably turn it off unless some future application provided a very compelling reason to have it on. Because the current uses for it I don't like and only make it an annoyance for me personally speaking. On the IPhone I've played games that require moving the device rather than having buttons and I guess that's cools for Nintendo Wii fans, but not me.
    lol at the ones trying to deny HTC its glory....i decided to try palm out with this 800 and it hasn't been working for me. HTC is headed in the right direction as their fan base keeps growing... i agree with Trevante 100%...

the only thing i will miss of the treo is the front face'in keyboard and it will only be a matter of time before HTC comes out with a direct treo competitor and when that happens menn i sure would hate to be palm...anywayz take it whatever way you like...

i'm getting a free diamond to replace my 800, time to move on, it sure has been fun though..goodluck to palm!
    If you can't figure out how to turn off TF3D, drop me a PM and I'll instruct you on the use of Today plugins.
    Isn't it just a plugin itself... could have swore I saw a video or a picture that showed TouchFlo3D as a plugin on the today settings page. Could be mistaken, don't have the device... and of course now can't find the vid.

Oh WaitTry This At the bottom of the review it states it can just be turned off.

Also looks like XDA already has a config utility for itTry Here

. Youtube vid - Looks like its just an on/off plugin. Am I seeing something wrong?
    Last edited by overbyc1; 09/17/2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Add Links
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy8813 View Post
    lol at the ones trying to deny HTC its glory....i decided to try palm out with this 800 and it hasn't been working for me. HTC is headed in the right direction as their fan base keeps growing... i agree with Trevante 100%...

the only thing i will miss of the treo is the front face'in keyboard and it will only be a matter of time before HTC comes out with a direct treo competitor and when that happens menn i sure would hate to be palm...anywayz take it whatever way you like...
    Nobody is trying to deny HTC anything. If HTC comes with a direct Treo competitor and it's competitive with whatever is available in say a couple of years and those future features are things I desire, I might buy that future HTC device.

This was about the HTC Diamond, but we who prefer the Treo today, at least speaking for myself personally, it's not at all because of anything against HTC. I don't know much about HTC and that puts them in better standing with me at the moment than Palm. They simply don't have the device I want, not yet.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast