Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    on bug 11 I would say that parsing problems with Palms hardware vs the software it tests and places on a device is of note, but this does not exclude it being a bug.
    Bug or not, the device has so many options for mapping routes, it's like being in a candy store and complaining one piece tasted sour. Having it with imperfections beats having an Iphone with less mapping options and not having the Maps feature of the Treo 800w.

In my opinion, Palm gave everyone too much to complain about . They should have offered the device with only Sprint Nav (given Sprint would demand it be on the device) and nothing else and left it to everyone to find their own other software to complain about .

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

But then I keep remembering (because it's so odd and the exception) that it only has 4gb of storage and no SD slot.
    You know, that's a deal breaker, that I too often forget to consider when looking at non-Treos. I'm so used to having expansion, that I assume everybody's got it .

As I mentioned before, for me, questions like the one for this thread border on comedic.

Yirk - You've got some issues that would have caused me to seek a replacement. Can't say all that's happening with mine. Sometimes my screen comes on, but so did the screen on my T600 and T650, which I thought was found to be a Sprint network thing. But it's rare. I think your battery is shot, but that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You know, that's a deal breaker, that I too often forget to consider when looking at non-Treos. I'm so used to having expansion, that I assume everybody's got it .
    I was tempted by the Diamond (I've only just started to really like my 800w) - then I read a review which mentioned, almost as an afterthought, that the phone had no expansion slot.

Huh?? Can anyone think of any other WM device ever that didn't have a memory slot? 4GB sounds great until you try to throw a 640x480 movie or two onto it. And music? Some multimedia device.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth View Post
    I was tempted by the Diamond (I've only just started to really like my 800w) - then I read a review which mentioned, almost as an afterthought, that the phone had no expansion slot.

Huh?? Can anyone think of any other WM device ever that didn't have a memory slot? 4GB sounds great until you try to throw a 640x480 movie or two onto it. And music? Some multimedia device.
    Then get the Touch Pro that comes out in a month. Smaller than the 800w but with a larger battery, VGA screen, full keyboard, working GPS, 32GB microSD slot, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Then get the Touch Pro that comes out in a month. Smaller than the 800w but with a larger battery, VGA screen, full keyboard, working GPS, 32GB microSD slot, etc.
    A pull down keyboard, not for me. I don't want to have to spin and pull every time I want to type.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Yes, the hate is strong with you young grasshoppa...
    Well, the Diamond is already available on Sprint's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Well, the Diamond is already available on Sprint's website.
    sweet...

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sp...ble_for_w.html

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    My experience with the Touch pretty much ended my facination with ANY primarily touch screen device. I first thought I could make the transition from my Mogul easily. I already had installed SPB's Full Screen Keyboard, which worked perfectly on the Mogul, (I didn't like having to slide out the keyboard, and using FSK was actually more efficient and faster for me.) But after switching to the Touch, FSK was awful. And I HATED having to constantly wipe the screen everytime I used it.
    Note: E V E R Y T I M E
    So back to the Mogul I went...using the slide out keyboard because I became a texting junkie.

Then the 800W came out.
    My ultimate phone.
    I am now happy and contented with my choice.
    I have to go home now...
    A pull down keyboard, not for me. I don't want to have to spin and pull every time I want to type.
    Same here. I had a Mogul and waiting for the OS to regain its wits with each change in orientation was painful.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    True MMS on the Diamond. So nice. The Manilla 3D interface is incredible and the speed is amazing. Don't think that I can go without a hardware keyboard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth View Post
    Same here. I had a Mogul and waiting for the OS to regain its wits with each change in orientation was painful.
    When I was playing with my sister's IPhone, I found that motion based orientation change to be rather annoying.

A keyboard made for one hand works much better for me.
    Bug or not, the device has so many options for mapping routes, it's like being in a candy store and complaining one piece tasted sour.
    Bug or not? iot is a bug. I was suprised at your novel deifnition of bug to exclude software bound and sold with a device. I was also surprised at the statement it is a "mapping issue" as if it is the fault of navteq or telenav -when it isn't.

As far as alternatives one can buy, yes there are. But one buys the 800w as a hardware device with software that is included. One does not expect to buy software to replace included software for h the same funtion (distance to present location)

By the way it has nothing to do with map routing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    As far as alternatives one can buy, yes there are. But one buys the 800w as a hardware device with software that is included. One does not expect to buy software to replace included software for h the same funtion (distance to present location)

By the way it has nothing to do with map routing.
    Google maps and Live Search (and I think Yahoo has a similar service too) are free. And unlike the Maps software, site's like Google can be used during the real time driving, rather than just giving a listing of directions to follow. So there are free options that do it all better than the Maps product.

And then there are fee based options.

So many options, the Maps issue is a bug the size of a flea. You can have the point it's a bug, but to me it's so small I can hardly see it. I prefer services such as Sprint Navigation/Telenav, which does it all way better than Maps and even better than Google.
    So many options, the Maps issue is a bug the size of a flea. You can have the point it's a bug, but to me it's so small I can hardly see it. I prefer services such as Sprint Navigation/Telenav, which does it all way better than Maps and even better than Google.
    You prefer being bound to the network and not being able to talk on the phone while using the GPS? Sorry to hear it.

For those of us who multitask and who have the resources to travel outside of the US, no standalone GPS is a massive bug.
    I too am waiting for the Pro. The 800 scared me away from Windows but I may come back to a more stable device. I'm not a fan of the sliding keyboard because of the Mogul lag. However this device has the RAM we all always wanted. Again my major concern is battery life. The Curve has never ever died on me even after extremely heavy use. I don't even have a car charger, never needed one. I will wait until the battery life results are in. I actually wish the Treo Pro came to Sprint. I'd be all over that one.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    same here. long live the treo
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the Diamond has 3.5hr talktime... that would be less then the 800w. I think of the two phones this way. 800w is like Windows where you can get **** done... The Diamond is like a Mac it looks pretty and can get the job done but its not to the point.... but thats just my bias opinion.. lol
    Actually they both run off Winmo. The Diamond may be a bit more cumbersome to those not used to a touch keyboard but in terms of what they can do there isn't a thing the 800 does differently.

Not one iota.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I too am waiting for the Pro. The 800 scared me away from Windows but I may come back to a more stable device. I'm not a fan of the sliding keyboard because of the Mogul lag. However this device has the RAM we all always wanted. Again my major concern is battery life. The Curve has never ever died on me even after extremely heavy use. I don't even have a car charger, never needed one. I will wait until the battery life results are in. I actually wish the Treo Pro came to Sprint. I'd be all over that one.
    I'm waiting for the Pro as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
    ...The Diamond may be a bit more cumbersome to those not used to a touch keyboard....
    Had a Touch for 10 months. Just like perrygonzalez, NEVER got used to the on screen keyboard. Thought I would, but never happened.

There certainly are some warts w/the 800w, but I am warning some of you that are used to a FRONT facing keyboard (had a short stint w/a mogul (slider) too), it's a heck of an adjustment to go to that no-feedback on-screen deal.

To me the usability is all about a keyboard that can be one-handed -- read: Treo.
    You prefer being bound to the network and not being able to talk on the phone while using the GPS? Sorry to hear it.

For those of us who multitask and who have the resources to travel outside of the US, no standalone GPS is a massive bug.
    nsxprime, in your continued zeal to speak against anyone that says something favorable about the Treo 800w, you've missed the total context of my statement. Perhaps you have not been keeping up with my comments on this and other matters?

My comment #73 in this thread was about the Maps application. Not about the aGPS issue. If you search around this forum you'd see I'm one of the main people hoping Sprint removes whatever they've done to force aGPS, they advertised stand alone and assisted. I see the aGPS issue as something that really is larger than being a "bug", but I did note in this thread in comment #50 the GPS matter is an issue. Perhaps if you read more of the comments before firing off every time you see my name you'd have known that. The discussion about Maps' sorting order for results and aGPS are two separate discussions.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast