Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    Can you use diamond with one hand?? Then i'll consider to switch..
    also that's only after i play with it and like it
    yes, but not easily. I had a Mogul for awhile. Everything worked fine, a little slow, but okay. I could not get used to having to slide the keyboard out to reply to emails or look up contacts. There were add on keyboards and programs that made it easier, but it also slowed the device down some.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    HTC Touch Diamon Specs

Talk time is rated at 4.5 hours for for WCDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I wouldn't pay any attention to rated talk times. Everyone knows that the 800w falls well short of the rated 4hr mark and that the Diamond will have a 2000mAh battery available shortly that will only increase the thickness to the size of the 800w and give it nearly twice the real-world talk time of the 800w.
    My Treo 800w falls well within the battery specs, talk time and standby time too. In my own testing I've found it outperforms specs.

Mentioning the Diamond will have a new battery that will make the device thicker with double the battery life is like speaking about the already available Seidio's Innocell 2600 Extended Battery for the 800w.

I think for most the decision is going to involve way more than battery, because neither is an all day talker.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    HTC Touch Diamon Specs

Talk time is rated at 4.5 hours for for WCDMA.
    wcdma is for 3g gsm networks, Japan, etc., not Sprint/Verizon cdma

(yes, it's unnecessarily confusing, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    wcdma is gsm, not Sprint/Verizon cdma

(yes, it's unnecessarily confusing, lol)
    Yes that is confusing.

So what do they mean by this then:
    Up to 330 minutes for GSM
    As others have stated, they will reach different people, based upon KB vs. no KB. For me, I can't do without the KB.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yes that is confusing.

So what do they mean by this then:

only a few networks do wcdma--its a weird hybrid of qualcomm cdma tech and gsm tech
    FWIW, the Touch Pro is supposed to formally launch on 10/19. If it comes down to it, the 30-day return period isn't really needed with the 800w because it can be returned at any time for a full refund because of the defective GPS, so long as Palm doesn't fix it before then (almost zero chance of that happening).
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    Can you use diamond with one hand?? Then i'll consider to switch..
    also that's only after i play with it and like it
    That is my deal breaker. Full keyboard and navigate/type with one hand.
    I'm 99% sure I will be leaving the Treo line for the HTC Touch Pro. The Touch Diamond and Pro both have a 1340 mAh Li-Ion battery. The battery life for the Diamond is 4.5 hours and the Touch Pro is 6.3 hours on CDMA networks. There is an 1800mAh replacement battery for the Touch Pro and 1700mAh for the Diamond available that fits in the same case but I am not sure if you have to replace the back cover.
    I really wanted to like the 800w but after reading about the abysmal battery life and PC Mags new review (a 333mhz process and 192M ram to run Windows 6.1? *choke*), I cannot wait around any longer for Treo to pull their head out of their a$$e$ and quit being stingy on the hardware to maximize profit dollars. If they had put a 528mhz processor (an extra $5 or $10 dollars?) like the Touch line and a stronger battery, I don't think you would see as many returns and white flags being raised.
    It was a nice OS and lead to many innovations by other manufacturers but they did not keep up with the market and demand and reassigned engineers to work on other projects (Windows CE/5 & 6 and the much touted Nova aka PalmLinux) that had/have a better chance to make them competitive in the market. I hope they do succeed with Treo Pro and NOVA but I doubt it since they always go for the bare minimum to get it to market.
    Apple Newton/Palm III/Palm V/Treo 180/Treo 300/Treo 650/Treo 700/Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by woofytexan View Post
    I'm 99% sure I will be leaving the Treo line for the HTC Touch Pro. The Touch Diamond and Pro both have a 1340 mAh Li-Ion battery. The battery life for the Diamond is 4.5 hours and the Touch Pro is 6.3 hours on CDMA networks. ..
    What magical cosmic orifice are you pulling those numbers out of? lol

Lets keep the record straight and remotely close to reality:

CDMA Touch Diamond: Rated talk time of 4.2hrs

CDMA Touch Pro: Rated talk time of 3.75hrs

(Treo 800w: Rated talk time of 4.0hrs)

And there are no Extended batteries for a device that is not even out yet...

Those are hardly earth shattering numbers, in fact the Touch Pro brings battery life back down to the ppc-6700 levels (3.7hrs) vs the Moguls slightly better 4.1hrs.

Two step forwards, one step back as always...

btw, have you even tried a 800w or are you just going on what you've read? It's much snappier than just about any WM device on the market. Raw processor isn't everything when you have graphic drivers on board and you trimmed up the OS.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/12/2008 at 02:00 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    FWIW, the Touch Pro is supposed to formally launch on 10/19.
    cNet reports that the Touch Pro will retail at $299 w/ two year contract. I think there's a good chance Sprint will offer a 75 to 100 rebate to help lower the price... not bad considering the gsm versions of these phones are going for 800 to 1000 on fleebay.

I'm 99% sure I will be leaving the Treo line for the HTC Touch Pro.
    Well, I'm 100% not sure... I'm working on getting a sweet deal on a brand new 800w.... and I can't wait to try out the Diamond Pro!

If they had put a 528mhz processor...
    The faster the processor, the faster it'll eat up the battery. I'd recommend something like an Atom dualcore 300mhz processor... They're more energy efficient than a single core 600mhz... but that's if there was such a thing as an Atom dualcore processor?

There's new battery technology coming out in about a year. I can't remember the name, but it performs better than lithium.

Then there's this other battery technology that's already available... I think it's the hydrogen something battery... provides triple or more the power of a normal lithium battery.

...nice OS... innovations... manufacturers.. market demand reassigned engineers other projects Windows CE/5 & 6 Nova aka PalmLinux competitive market. I hope they do succeed Treo Pro NOVA minimum market.
    We need a translator... wwww.google.com? alta vista language translator? j/k haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    cNet reports that the Touch Pro will retail at $299 w/ two year contract. I think there's a good chance Sprint will offer a 75 to 100 rebate to help lower the price... not bad considering the gsm versions of these phones are going for 800 to 1000 on fleebay.
    That price is including the $100 MIR, so a lot of people will be paying $399 out of pocket initially (unless they can haggle with Sprint). If people wait a 30-45 days, prices will drop on eBay to probably around $229. We also don't know if BestBuy will sell them at a later date--they tend to offer lower prices with no MIR.

The prices are inflated on eBay and expansys because of the weak dollar right now and the cost of importation. Same reason I'm not importing any absinthe

I really wanted to like the 800w but after reading about the abysmal battery life and PC Mags new review (a 333mhz process and 192M ram to run Windows 6.1? *choke*), I cannot wait around any longer for Treo to pull their head out of their a$$e$ and quit being stingy on the hardware to maximize profit dollars. If they had put a 528mhz processor (an extra $5 or $10 dollars?) like the Touch line and a stronger battery, I don't think you would see as many returns and white flags being raised.
    Too true. Just look at the HTC-designed and built Treo Pro. Faster processor, bigger battery, better battery life and smaller size than the 800w. Hello!
    I did some research before posting my information. The numbers come from the HTC website.
    Pro - http://www.htc.com/uk/product.aspx?id=55314
    Diamond - http://www.htc.com/uk/product.aspx?id=46046

Many of the people that have the phone already in the UK said the 900mAh battery life sucks at 3.75 hours of talk time. But I do see what you mean about the difference in CDMA and WCDMA in your previous post. So maybe your numbers are going to be more in line of what to expect from the device.

The extended life battery is available for pre-order
    http://www.windowsmobilenow.com/us/p...er=wmusfroogle
    They must know the battery size and capacity based on the previous units of the Diamond that are already out in the UK and knowing that the Touch Pro is going to use the same battery with the evaluation units they have.

I should have clarified that, yes, I did look at and test the 800w at my local neighborhood Sprint store (on Mockingbird Lane in Dallas if you need the exact location of the store). I compared it side by side with a Samsung Ace and the HTC Touch. In all instances of bring up the browser, starting Office, and starting the media player, The Touch (with latest updates according to store employee. About list Windows Mobile 6.1) beat the Treo but barely and the Treo beat the Ace easily. Again, it comes down to the processor. Without a faster processor, the 800W will be just a wee bit slower than most other devices out there unless they have a fast processor but low RAM, which is the case with the Samsung Ace. It has a zippy 416mhz processor but only 96MB of RAM. I understand that a faster processor will mean shorter battery life. Hopefully they will have a couple of updates to squeeze a few extra 30 minutes out of it. Maybe I can underclock the device. *g*

The Touch Pro, from what I understand, will have the 6.1 version Windows out of the box so it should have native video drivers which I hope will speed up their GUI interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    What magical cosmic orifice are you pulling those numbers out of? lol

Lets keep the record straight and remotely close to reality:

CDMA Touch Diamond: Rated talk time of 4.2hrs

CDMA Touch Pro: Rated talk time of 3.75hrs

(Treo 800w: Rated talk time of 4.0hrs)

And there are no Extended batteries for a device that is not even out yet...

Those are hardly earth shattering numbers, in fact the Touch Pro brings battery life back down to the ppc-6700 levels (3.7hrs) vs the Moguls slightly better 4.1hrs.

Two step forwards, one step back as always...

btw, have you even tried a 800w or are you just going on what you've read? It's much snappier than just about any WM device on the market. Raw processor isn't everything when you have graphic drivers on board and you trimmed up the OS.
    I did some research before posting my information. The numbers come from the HTC website.
    Pro - http://www.htc.com/uk/product.aspx?id=55314
    Diamond - http://www.htc.com/uk/product.aspx?id=46046
    Right, but GSM devices are very different than CDMA--even if they are the same "product". More specifically, CDMA devices with RevA enabled really suck up battery life. GSM is less of a problem because its 3g (HSDPA) is not as widely available and in Europe very expensive, so you tend to see fewer complaints.

The current extended batteries for the GSM versions are not directly compatible with the CDMA. Surely there will be extended batteries, but Seidio and others will need to purchase the devices, see what they can jam in there and supply a new back door.

The numbers I posted are the *actual* numbers Sprint and HTC are stating in regards to both the Sprint (CDMA) Pro and Diamond--there is no hedging on that issue. The ones you posted and refer to simply to do not apply the CDMA version--they are technically different phones.

See here: GSM Touch Diamond and its hefty CDMA cousin

The Touch Pro, from what I understand, will have the 6.1 version Windows out of the box so it should have native video drivers which I hope will speed up their GUI interface.
    Having WM6.1 has nothing to do with video drivers--not even slightly related. To have the video drivers, the manufacturer has to kick back money to Qualcomm to license the drivers to enable the hardware acceleration. It is purely optional.

It's pretty certain the Diamond and Pro will have those drives but they really, really need it as they are running a very resource intensive GUI shell on top of the OS (TouchFlow 3d), hence the "faster" processor and drivers. But, when you compare actual opening of programs and docs on the 800w vs the Diamond/Pro, I doubt you'll notice a huge difference if any.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/12/2008 at 11:36 AM.

So lets get this straight. You came in here to rag on a phone that you don't have to praise a phone you MIGHT be getting. Not to sound out of place but couldn't you do something better with your time? This thread does not apply to you at all. I may sound a bit bitter but I've seen so many people come in and trash talk a phone without even owning it. It's like the whole vista theory. Now with all that said....people say.. different strokes for different folks.. good for you that you're getting a phone and have your first purchase planned.
    No Bill, I don't own the phone. I have messed with it a few times at the Sprint store. If you look at my tag line, I have been a very long time user of Treo Phones. So this is not my first phone, as you incorrectly pointed out in your last sentence. I've been on this board since 2003 and... oh... you just joined in July of this year. Welcome aboard. I have had to defend the Treo line of phones, especially the PALMOS many times in my career to people that "rag" on it.
    I was merely participating in the discussion about the differences in the Treo 800W and the HTC Diamond. That is what this thread is about if you go back and read the first post.
    I also stated that I am 99%, not 100%, sure I will get the Touch Pro. There is that 1% that I get it and the keyboard slide sucks or the battery life is terrible as Malatesta has point out could be the case.
    Yes, you do sound a little bitter and maybe there is something else YOU could be doing with your time. If you go back and read my post again, I was trying to be objective and point out that there are reasons to go with the Diamond or Touch Pro over the 800W but one of my points (battery life) was incorrect and I conceded that point. I, as part of my career, have to know these things about smartphones since I am a application developer for a CRM tool and we run our application in desktop modes as well as mobile mode for the salesforce. I have to be able to tell my customer to avoid phone like the iPhone or Blackberry if they want to use our software since their browser will support Windows Mobile developed applications.
    That said, I will not "rag on a phone" any more in this discussion. I was merely trying to participate and offer some different points of view. As you say "different strokes for different folks".

Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    So lets get this straight. You came in here to rag on a phone that you don't have to praise a phone you MIGHT be getting. Not to sound out of place but couldn't you do something better with your time? This thread does not apply to you at all. I may sound a bit bitter but I've seen so many people come in and trash talk a phone without even owning it. It's like the whole vista theory. Now with all that said....people say.. different strokes for different folks.. good for you that you're getting a phone and have your first purchase planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I think of the two phones this way. 800w is like Windows where you can get **** done... The Diamond is like a Mac it looks pretty and can get the job done but its not to the point.... but thats just my bias opinion.. lol
    I'm fairly certain you can turn off the TouchFlo3D interface if you find it's too cumbersome for you. Personally, I don't think it'll bother me much coming from a Mogul, as long as I can access my email, calendar, and text messages from the home screen with a few button pushes. That's how I did things on my 700wx too.
    Having a high post count makes you cool and I should look up to you right? I guess I should also care that you have some sort of part in developing software for smartphones... I may not have wmexperts STREET CRED like you but the argument that you've been on this board does not apply..... you still don't own a 800w right? Exactly. Next time bring your A game when you come in with technical specifications....random developer guy with 600+ posts.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Im really considering the Diamond and my 30 day trial for the treo800 is 9/18. Hopefully it does come out on the 14th as I wouldnt switch without lookin at it first. My biggest problem with the treo is having to wait so long for the device to power on when i plug it into the charger after it dies. Sometimes it takes 45mins. I took it back, gotta new one, and the replacement has the same problem, AND a crackling speaker. The charger thing wouldnt be such an issue if the battery life was better. I cant even come close to a full day of use. Sucks, cuz I really like this phone.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast