Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today's NY Times had an article about this. The website says Treo800W is a supported device. Has anyone tried it? Please report.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Link?
  3.    #3  
    If you mean the link to the software it is at wmwifirouter.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougef View Post
    If you mean the link to the software it is at wmwifirouter.com.
    Isn't there a free way to do this with Windows Mobile? I'm sure there is some one out there that was able to enable network sharing. Heck they can do it on the iPhone with the limited SDK.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I just downloaded and installed the trial. It does work and is pretty easy to use.
    Trying it out now. It seems to work very well and doesn't degrade speed at all:

7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Works very well, setup with Vista is a breeze.
    I played with it for an hour or so and will probably end up buying it after the trial.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I like the sounds of this, but want to clarify what it does to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

* W/out this software, you can user the 800w as a broadband modem via USB or BT. You need to configure ICS and tweak the registry to bypass Sprint's Phone as Modem (tethering) restriction. Correct?

* WMWiFiRouter offers a similar concept, except that the connection is now via WiFi from the PC. The WiFi antenna in the 800w becomes a router antenna. WMWiFiRouter also requires the registry tweak. Correct?

Usage scenario: I'm in a remote location that has strong Sprint voice/data signal, but no WiFi hotspots. I need to connect to the internet from my laptop and would prefer to do wirelessly. WMWiFiRouter allows this, plus any other PCs that can see this "router." Correct?

Thanks,

Esteban
    That is my understanding of it.

Now does this software work like pdanet in which tethering would use your plan's data package and not get separate charges from Sprint for tethering?
    I believe this will not have charges from Sprint, as it is connecting via ad-hock to your device.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Found another solution/competitor for router software in Windows Mobile:

http://www.walkinghotspot.com/
    I do not believe there will be an additional charge and you have the choice of Wifi, bluetooth or USB connection for sharing.
    Yeah it works pretty well
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Does WiFi use less battery power than Bluetooth? I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would pay for WMWifirouter if you can use the stock IC Sharing through Bluetooth or USB for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebanj View Post
    I like the sounds of this, but want to clarify what it does to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

* W/out this software, you can user the 800w as a broadband modem via USB or BT. You need to configure ICS and tweak the registry to bypass Sprint's Phone as Modem (tethering) restriction. Correct?

* WMWiFiRouter offers a similar concept, except that the connection is now via WiFi from the PC. The WiFi antenna in the 800w becomes a router antenna. WMWiFiRouter also requires the registry tweak. Correct?

Usage scenario: I'm in a remote location that has strong Sprint voice/data signal, but no WiFi hotspots. I need to connect to the internet from my laptop and would prefer to do wirelessly. WMWiFiRouter allows this, plus any other PCs that can see this "router." Correct?

Thanks,

Esteban
    I'm a bit green on this topic, so I need some clarification too. It sounds to me that I would need to install both the ICS registry hack AND install WMWiFiRouter for all of this to work--is that right?
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Does WiFi use less battery power than Bluetooth? I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would pay for WMWifirouter if you can use the stock IC Sharing through Bluetooth or USB for free.
    Some Lappies don't come with bluetooth, range, no BT bottleneck, etc.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    I'm a bit green on this topic, so I need some clarification too. It sounds to me that I would need to install both the ICS registry hack AND install WMWiFiRouter for all of this to work--is that right?
    WMWiFiRouter does the registry hacking for you when you enable it from what I understand.
    I built myself an iphone 3G by rubber-banding my 800w running wmwifirouter to my new ipod touch 2G connected to that network. The battery draw on the phone is rather large though, and it gets hot from pulling all of that current.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    I built myself an iphone 3G by rubber-banding my 800w running wmwifirouter to my new ipod touch 2G connected to that network.
    I like that - pretty funny!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast