Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The charge rate via the USB port on your computer is substantially lower than with a real charger. As a result there is the real possibility that charging via the USB port may not be sufficient to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600 View Post
    Just a follow-up to samadam, I had WMWifiRouter running for about 1-1.5 hours today. I was running my connection to the internet via WIFI (not USB) and had the phone plugged into the USB port on my laptop (so, it was charging). My battery went from 90-95% down to 20%...even while it was on the charger. So, this thing (WIFI) drains the battery faster than it can be charged???
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    I believe I tried wmrouter version 0.91 and it crashed on first run. So if you can find how to get it running that would be great. I should have a copy of it somewhere around here.

(opps!) it was v1.2 'works flawlessly' on 800w.

mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The charge rate via the USB port on your computer is substantially lower than with a real charger. As a result there is the real possibility that charging via the USB port may not be sufficient to keep up.
    I was using the plug-in charger and it was still going down.

Also, why can't the phone run on wall charger without a battery, even when not using wifi?
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The funny thing is that people here at TC have been whining for WiFi on their Treo for years. Now they have it and it turns out to be useless. Not only that but EVDO RevA is faster on my device than my home WiFi network. There seems to be a lag in Pocket IE when it tries to resolve web address using WiFi. No lag when using EVDO.
    Is this part of the 'grass is always greener' theroy?

Actually, the Wifi allows me to use the internet where Sprint signals are weak to non-existant. We have Wifi at work so I can access the file shares as well as accessing my workstation from a confrence room. Very handy. Lest not forget that while many companys will support 'portable devices', (read: laptop) hand helds somehow are allowed but not supported. With Wifi I can access email within the company firewall but there is no support for accessing it from beyond it.

Lest not forget the possibility of leaving the 800w in the car on the charger while I'm out in a park surfing on my laptop.

Mark.
    Won't hold a good IP address. Gets a good ip when first connected then drops to 169 bad ip. Anyone know why? Tried ti use editor to fix that way but editor wouldn't work so I can't get into edit to make chanege. Any help gretaly appreciated would luv to use laptop on the fly.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just install this and I seem to like it. Better than PDAnet. I am tired of the activesync that somtimes does not connect using USB cable! But it is actually better on the Vista than the XP.

So does it monitor the battery on the 800w? Does this feature work?

What other features does not work on 800w?
    K, I'm gonna give WifiRouter a spin. This has got me curious.

Been using PDANet for a long time (including 2.0) and actually have been very happy, but it'll be interesting to experiment.

One thing I really like about PDANet 2.0 is when an incoming call comes in, it holds onto the data connection (don't ask me how), but when you hang up the data connection resumes without redialing in. Must be doing something covertly, but either way it's very cool.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    K, I'm gonna give WifiRouter a spin.
    You shouldn't be disappointed. I use it quite often, and the WiFi connection method is what really sold me.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    Lest not forget the possibility of leaving the 800w in the car on the charger while I'm out in a park surfing on my laptop.
    Wouldn't that require you to leave your keys in the ignition?
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    Wouldn't that require you to leave your keys in the ignition?
    Just like there are user forums for treos and wm there are user forums for your car. how to jump one of your accessory outlets, or install a second one that is always hot, is a pretty common DIY on any vehicile forum and can be done in 10 to 15 minutes. You will find harness diagrams, and advice on proper place to tap on your car's forums.

Besides the actual physical issues of teterhing vs wifi there are alternate advantages in the ratios of pc to handset between wifi router vs pda net.

If you have multiple laptops in use wifi router will allow all of them to connect to a single handset. Alternately if in your household or small business you have one laptop and several wm phones, pdanet seems licensed and installed in such a way that you can keep installing to multiple handsets.
    I just wish my psp would work with it.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I just wish my psp would work with it.
    I take it PSP does not do Ad-Hoc connections?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I take it PSP does not do Ad-Hoc connections?
    It does Ad-Hoc PSP to PSP fine, but I think there are several hoops you have to jump through via 3rd party utilities and maybe even custom firmware to get it to see other devices. However, doesn't WiFiRouter turn your phone into an access point in essence? It should connect in Infrastructure mode I would imagine.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am beginning to use more n more of this wifi now.

I didnt want to fool with that ActiveSync. It is not 100% connect all the time.
    Are you saying with WMwifi i can use my wifi connection on the phone and it will be able to connect my laptop to the internet? If someone has WMwifiworking properly could you let me knowwhat to do to get mine working? When i try to internet share it keeps dropping was using usb sync cable.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
    Are you saying with WMwifi i can use my wifi connection on the phone and it will be able to connect my laptop to the internet?
    Yes.

If someone has WMwifiworking properly could you let me knowwhat to do to get mine working? When i try to internet share it keeps dropping was using usb sync cable.
    Are you using the "Internet Sharing" app on the phone, or WMWifi?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Bascially, the software turn on your phone into a wireless router. So when you turn on your laptop and look for a wireless connection, it will show up. Then you just put in your password and it connect.

Thats it.

I try it again for 2nd day and I think I am going to uninstall my PDAnet. Now because my work laptop has wireless, I just turn on my 800w to by pass company firewall. To show some love, I even share my phone wifi connection with my colleagues during lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    I just downloaded and installed the trial. It does work and is pretty easy to use.
    for how long is the trial good for?
    I was trying to use the internet sharing and when i try to connect I keep dropping the connection saying remote party has ended this connection. loof forward to your reply. Setting up phone all over again and trying to do it in a smarter way this time.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I was trying to use the internet sharing and when i try to connect I keep dropping the connection saying remote party has ended this connection. loof forward to your reply. Setting up phone all over again and trying to do it in a smarter way this time.
    Forget the "Internet Sharing" app. Use WMWiFi instead. Load WMWiFi, select which connection method you would like(I prefer WiFi) within WMWiFi. Then you are off to the races. If you are still having problems, try the ICSHelper disabling hack.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast