Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Does WiFi use less battery power than Bluetooth? I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would pay for WMWifirouter if you can use the stock IC Sharing through Bluetooth or USB for free.
    Yeah my laptop doesn't have bluetooth. The other thing is more than one laptop can use it via wifi. So, for exaple you could create a hotspot for you and a buddy.
    yeah it works fine, phone gets hot but it also becomes laggy...

another benefit is being able to use it on a PS3 or something that can't accept a bluetooth connection...

i would only use it when needed.. im fine with bluetooth ICS
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootup View Post
    Why would you want to pay monthly?
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Isn't there a free way to do this with Windows Mobile? I'm sure there is some one out there that was able to enable network sharing. Heck they can do it on the iPhone with the limited SDK.
    The roots of this software can be seen at xda-developers.com. There are two portions to this; (1) setting up an ad-hoc wifi dhcp network (2) changing the registry to substitute the wifi radio for either bluetooth, the older method, or usb connection in Internet Connection Sharing.

Up until recently, this was freeware. I've used both the components setup and wmwifirouter and both work well on my 8525 though naturally wmwifirouter is a one-click operation.

I haven't seen fit to pay for the new version. My old version (0.91) is stable but without the features of the latest 1.20. In the works is a DHCP server which would actually get me to pony up $. The older freeware version is still available as a torrent.

The links:
    (usb/wmwifirouter) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=341398

(bluetooth) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=332360
    Just a follow-up to samadam, I had WMWifiRouter running for about 1-1.5 hours today. I was running my connection to the internet via WIFI (not USB) and had the phone plugged into the USB port on my laptop (so, it was charging). My battery went from 90-95% down to 20%...even while it was on the charger. So, this thing (WIFI) drains the battery faster than it can be charged???
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600 View Post
    Just a follow-up to samadam, I had WMWifiRouter running for about 1-1.5 hours today. I was running my connection to the internet via WIFI (not USB) and had the phone plugged into the USB port on my laptop (so, it was charging). My battery went from 90-95% down to 20%...even while it was on the charger. So, this thing (WIFI) drains the battery faster than it can be charged???
    I had the same issue. If you start with a fully charged phone and you leave it plugged in, you can get about an hour use out of it.
    Wifi is a battery hog. no surprise there. it is not specific to this program.
    but once the battery is drained it will just keep rocking drawing power from the USB right?
    I think there is going to be an interesting question will be the provider reaction as I think the NYTimes notice will bring workaround free PAM knowledge and use to a much much wider userbase.

yes there are reg hacks but that would be done by I think the tiniest fraction. Then there is usbmodem and pdanet one click solutions, but looking at their websites one can see they are not well promoted, and were not noticed like this by the NYTimes.

With mass PAM workaround now possible, if I were a provider I would start putting some monitoring software in, if not to catch and bill people, at least to start gauging how much this is being used.
    is not working on my device
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Wifi is a battery hog. no surprise there. it is not specific to this program.
    The funny thing is that people here at TC have been whining for WiFi on their Treo for years. Now they have it and it turns out to be useless. Not only that but EVDO RevA is faster on my device than my home WiFi network. There seems to be a lag in Pocket IE when it tries to resolve web address using WiFi. No lag when using EVDO.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Wi-Fi isn't useless. It makes it easier to use my Wi-Fi at home. Previously, I bought a Wi-Fi b/g SD card to use on my 700wx. It got tedious, since most of my data was on my 4Gb SD card. I would have to x-fer data from the SD card, to the 700wx, remove the SD card and insert the Wi-Fi card, then x-fer the data from my device to my network. Now I just turn on the Wi-fi.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I use wifi at home because the Airave does not support EVDO. But it does drain battery fast and the phone gets hot.

I also find Wifirouter to crash when I go into settings to change things.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I seem to only get about 80kbps using internet sharing, and about 600kbps (that is, the usual speed of my EVDO) using wmwifirouter, both over bluetooth on my macbook pro. So I would like to figure out what settings it changes in internet sharing that allows it to do this.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The funny thing is that people here at TC have been whining for WiFi on their Treo for years. Now they have it and it turns out to be useless. Not only that but EVDO RevA is faster on my device than my home WiFi network. There seems to be a lag in Pocket IE when it tries to resolve web address using WiFi. No lag when using EVDO.
    wifi is useless? Business users could tell you why that is very wrong.
    I don't have the huge battery drain issues that you guys are experiencing while using WMWifiRouter 1.2 and my Ipod Touch or laptops. I have the 2600mh battery though which makes a huge difference. There are some days that I will surf around on the internet with my Ipod Touch for an hour or more using my treo as the modem. This on top of my normal day to day usage of the phone and I still plug back in at midnight (unplug at 730am) with more than 40% battery left. That's 17 hours with 40% remaining!

Using WMWfiRouter on the Treo is awesome. My two laptops (both running vista) connect up to it just fine as well via wifi.

If you plan on using WMWfiRouter a lot, then just pick up the 2600mh battery and worry no more...

I have used PDAnet too with my Treo 800w via USB and Bluetooth. Bluetooth connection is too slow in my opinion. I average an up/down rate of 750/275 with WMWfiRouter and my laptops...
    Quote Originally Posted by estebanj View Post
    Found another solution/competitor for router software in Windows Mobile: "walkinghotspot"
    ('link' removed as silly website won't let me quote links in others messages)

Myself, I think I'll stick with the Bluetooth radio as using it for internet sharing does not requre purchace/rent of additional software.

On the other hand, I've seen reports that 'wmrouter' v0.9x works fine on the 800w and is free if you can find it.

Taken from past experience with my Dell Axim, the advantage to using the Wifi radio vrs using the Bluetooth radio is: 1) you may get better/more distance between phone<>laptop with Wifi, 2) if your laptop does not have a built in Bluetooth radio, it saves having to use a BT dongle, 3) I don't know if any of the 'wmrouter', 'portable hotspot' solutions support multiple Wifi connections like a real access point, but that would be a real plus.

The only dissadvantage may be that the Wifi radio uses more battery then the Bluetooth radio. (it did on my Axim)

Mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    ('link' removed as silly website won't let me quote links in others messages)

Myself, I think I'll stick with the Bluetooth radio as using it for internet sharing does not requre purchace/rent of additional software.

On the other hand, I've seen reports that 'wmrouter' v0.9x works fine on the 800w and is free if you can find it.

Taken from past experience with my Dell Axim, the advantage to using the Wifi radio vrs using the Bluetooth radio is: 1) you may get better/more distance between phone<>laptop with Wifi, 2) if your laptop does not have a built in Bluetooth radio, it saves having to use a BT dongle, 3) I don't know if any of the 'wmrouter', 'portable hotspot' solutions support multiple Wifi connections like a real access point, but that would be a real plus.

The only dissadvantage may be that the Wifi radio uses more battery then the Bluetooth radio. (it did on my Axim)

Mark.
    I believe I tried wmrouter version 0.91 and it crashed on first run. So if you can find how to get it running that would be great. I should have a copy of it somewhere around here.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    I am using version 1.20 (build 551) with no issues. It gives you the option of connecting via Phone As Modem or Sprint PowerVision. I'm liking it so far!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast