1.    #1  
    So I got a SanDisk SDSDQY-8192-A11M 8GB Mobile Ultra Micro SDHC Card, not from SanDisk direct, but a cheaper priced one of the same I found on Ebay. A class 6 8GB MicroSDHC card that comes with a reader.

When using the provided reader to transfer files from my PC to the card it goes really fast.

But if I put the card into the Treo 800w and try to transfer files from my PC to the card while it's in the Treo, the transfer is dreadfully slow.

The USB slots on my PC are all USB 2.0. So where's the bottleneck? I'd just like to know. Is it the cable, the Treo, the desktop sync software or all of them combined?

It seems using the MicroSDHC reader I see the full benefits of the card being class 6, but when transferring with the card in the Treo, I would think it was less than a class 2.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Its like this. Never ever use the activesync to transfer big files.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Its like this. Never ever use the activesync to transfer big files.
    Well I'm not setting up the transfer in ActiveSync, but just using file explorer. To go to the device and copy a file(s) over. But still some sync software pops up. So I guess it's ActiveSync still, even when I try to side step using it with the card in my Treo.

I was hoping I'd be able to always keep the card in the Treo and transfer files, but if I'm ever in a rush and need to load some files I'll have to use the reader. I don't see why they can't have a way for the thing to simply allow files to be transferred without interference.
    On all of my WM devices, transferring files to card via USB and Activesync has always been slow. Much better to use a card reader.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I would probably have to think that the 800w wasn't designed to be a card reader. And doesn't AS do some kind of checking to see if the file needs conversion?
    I like to keep my card in the phone. To do that, you'll need software to allow the PC to see the card as an external drive. Try the Microsoft powertoy "SyncToy" or try EasySync or MobSync or by far the best for me, GoodSync, albeit a tad pricey. I also used a very good program for Palm, Card Export II, I believe. And, I seem to recall that a Pocket PC version was available.

Good luck!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    And doesn't AS do some kind of checking to see if the file needs conversion?
    Yea that's what the window that pops up says it's doing, but even in cases where it does not need to do any conversion at all that comes up. If that causes a bottleneck, they need to make it smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    I like to keep my card in the phone. To do that, you'll need software to allow the PC to see the card as an external drive. Try the Microsoft powertoy "SyncToy" or try EasySync or MobSync or by far the best for me, GoodSync, albeit a tad pricey. I also used a very good program for Palm, Card Export II, I believe. And, I seem to recall that a Pocket PC version was available.

Good luck!
    Thank you. This is an annoyance I'm not willing to pay any additional money to overcome, since I can just put the card in a USB reader for free . But looking at GoodSync, they offer a free and fee based version. Even the free version offers file transfer. Which is just within the high range of what I'm willing to pay, nothing .
    (Not that I have a problem buying software, but this particular issue is not one I'm willing to pay over.)

Great suggestions Music, it will take me some time to look through these, but it looks like I'll find something that works better for file transfer with the card still in the device and within my price range .
    If you have Wi-Fi access, just use that. It makes it convenient. Your not tied down to your PC, since your doing it from your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    If you have Wi-Fi access, just use that. It makes it convenient. Your not tied down to your PC, since your doing it from your device.
    Got any recommended ways of doing it? I was thinking of setting up a file server on my network, but that seems like a lot of work.
  10.    #10  
    It does not seem that Synctoy can see the card in the device.

GoodSync is a neat little tool. I'll stick with ActiveSync for now but GoodSync is neat. Neat, but not fast and perhaps that's not GoodSync's fault. But moving a 100MB file from the card to PC via GoodSync took a little over 3 minutes. Using the MicroSDHC card reader to move a 100MB file from the card to the PC took 10 seconds. (May have been less than 10 seconds actually.)

Doing the same via Windows Explorer (which uses ActiveSync) took about 3 minutes.

So speed wise GoodSync does not help me any, although as a sync tool it does some things ActiveSync can't. It has features I may make use of some day.
    Try WM5torage. Makes your treo a USB flash drive.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=349143
    Speaking of card readers, this one is for microSD and is super tiny. Just barely big enough to fit in a USB port. The Shack is cheapest at $10.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3166745
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Try WM5torage. Makes your treo a USB flash drive.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=349143
    Now we're talking! I've got to check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by wwejason View Post
    Speaking of card readers, this one is for microSD and is super tiny. Just barely big enough to fit in a USB port. The Shack is cheapest at $10.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3166745
    See the one I linked in my initial comment. It comes with that same card reader. And it works well. That's how I moved 100MB in about 10 seconds or less. If anyone is considering it, I'd recommend it.
    There is a setting in Activesync to fix this.

Go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Edit File Conversion Settings

Uncheck the box "Convert files when synchronized, copied or moved".
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    There is a setting in Activesync to fix this.

Go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Edit File Conversion Settings

Uncheck the box "Convert files when synchronized, copied or moved".
    Yea I considered that, but then what about when I need it to really convert files for me ? Have you tried seeing the speed when you remove that setting? When the conversion "from" and "to" is the same type with no changes, it should not have any work to do in conversion and should let things go freely. It should, but probably does not.
  16.    #16  
    OK, just for the heck of it I removed the "Convert files when synchronized, copied or moved" setting and tried my 100MB file test. Still took 3 mintues .

I'm going to try WM5torage.
    Yes, it still takes longer than using a card reader.

I'll be interested to see if that software does better.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
  18.    #18  
    WM5torage v1.8 can also be downloaded here. That board that links to modaco, the modaco board requires registration, but I'd highly recommend reading the warnings there. And I don't like waiting for RapidShare .

Also see the advice given on this page.

I tried all that and still could not get it to work .

So if anyone gets it working on a Treo 800w let us know .