Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1.    #1  
    I called Palm tech support today to log a complaint about the well-know poor battery life issue with the 800w.

    Among other things, I told the rep how I got MUCH longer battery life out of my old 700wx than my shiny new 800w. I've already done the recommended registry tweaks (power management enabling), set WiFi to only turn on when the button is pressed, made sure to fully exit any GPS-using applications, etc. Towards the end of the conversation, the rep replied "...well, the 800w as a much smaller battery than the 700wx - that's why it doesn't last as long".

    Brilliant response from Palm, isn't it?

    Well, the rep did say that the issue has been elevated to the engineers...

    -Kevin
  2. #2  
    So your saying you did not realize the 800w has a much smaller battery than the 700wx?

    Or are you saying because the 800w is newer the battery should last longer than a battery almost twice the size?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    I already knew the battery was smaller, but remember reading somewhere that the 800w was supposed to have about the same battery life as the 700wx because it used newer and more efficient components. Kind of like how a flashlight with a LED lamp uses less battery power than one with an incandescent lamp.

    Kevin

    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    So your saying you did not realize the 800w has a much smaller battery than the 700wx?

    Or are you saying because the 800w is newer the battery should last longer than a battery almost twice the size?
  4. #4  
    Treo 700wx rated talk time = 4.5 hrs

    Treo 800w rated talk time = 4.0 hrs

    Talk time includes internet, wifi use, GPS, etc. If you are not able to get 4 hrs of constant usage, the device is defective.

    But yeah, the days of fat 1800mah batteries appears to over in skinny 2008.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink View Post
    I already knew the battery was smaller, but remember reading somewhere that the 800w was supposed to have about the same battery life as the 700wx because it used newer and more efficient components. Kind of like how a flashlight with a LED lamp uses less battery power than one with an incandescent lamp.

    Kevin
    Did Palm ever tell you the battery life would be about the same?

    Treo™ 700w|wx specs
    Removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Up to 4.7 hours talk time and more than 300 hours standby time
    Treo 700wx has a 1800mAh Battery.

    Treo 800w specs
    Removable 1150 mAh lithium-ion; up to 4.5 hours talk time or up to 200 hours standby time
    Maybe your 800w would run nearly as long as your 700wx, if you never use GPS, downgrade the screen to 240 x 240, lower the processor to 312MHz, downgrade the OS and turn off Rev A?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Treo 700wx rated talk time = 4.5 hrs

    Treo 800w rated talk time = 4.0 hrs

    Has Palm changed the spec details on their pages?

    The Treo 800w TC review says 4 hours, but now Palm's spec page says 4.5 hours. I'm almost certain it used to say 4 hours too.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Has Palm changed the spec details on their pages?

    The Treo 800w TC review says 4 hours, but now Palm's spec page says 4.5 hours. I'm almost certain it used to say 4 hours too.
    That's always been like that...dunno why.

    I've always gone by and told people 4hrs though.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    I nearly did not get the 800W because of what some were saying here about the battery life. I have actually been pleasantly surprised. So far, only three weeks, I have not had a battery issue. I do top it off when I get in my vehicle, which is around two, sometimes three times a day. I can put it on my car charger from Walmart and it will go from say 83% to mid 90% in just around 15 to 20 minutes. When I don't top it off, I am still getting about the same life as with my Centro. I get about 15 - 20 calls a day and have my email pushed to me through Exchange which is between 75 and 100 emails a day. I'm looking at it now and it says 87%. I unplugged it at 7:30 this morning and plugged it in for about 10 minutes at lunch and another 10 minutes about 2 hours ago. I've received 72 emails today and have replied to 26 of those on my 800W. I am lucky in that my job has me where I can top it off on a regular basis, although, I'm not positive I would need to for a normal work day.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  9. #9  
    JohnH59 - your usage is not that different from mine. In a good reception area I am pushing 6 hours before feeding becomes mandatory.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But yeah, the days of fat 1800mah batteries appears to over in skinny 2008.
    How exactly is the 800w skinny? The year-old Mogul is the same thickness and takes an 1800mAh battery.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    How exactly is the 800w skinny? The year-old Mogul is the same thickness and takes an 1800mAh battery.
    I think the point was that the trend is that most current designs prioritize thinness over battery size, not that it's impossible to have a larger battery on this specific device.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think the point was that the trend is that most current designs prioritize thinness over battery size, not that it's impossible to have a larger battery on this specific device.
    If you take a look at the volume of 2008 batteries in small form factor 1500 mAh and 1800 mAh @5v capacities, minus the 1150, as a portion of volume of handsets the size of the 800w, the size difference would be quite small, in single digit percentage.

    Let's face it, no one is buying the treo for its cutting edge form factor, I think we tend toward being utilitarian. I think if you imagine a total increase in volume of a book of matches to go to 1800 and even less for 1500,(and apparently from seidio -- no increase to go to 1300), most of use would have preferred it. I bet Palm would have in retrospect as well.

    A lot depends on your habits. And in fact your ability to alter your habits. We've altered ours.

    I just think that a bump to 1500ma would have pushed perhaps a good chunk of the majority of owners who don't like the battery life, into a position of being less unhappy with the battery.
  13. vMAC's Avatar
    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #13  
    I'm so sick of people making these stupid battery threads. Just live with it, if you don't like it don't use the phone it's that simple.
    To the people who keep comparing this phone to the Mogul. Please stop, if the Mogul was that good you should have kept it and return your 800. I had the Mogul, went through 4 of them and couldn't wait to get rid of the thing. It may have had a longer battery life but you couldn't read the screen when in any type of sunlight. The screen took ages (freaking ages) to turn if you hadn't just reset the phone, and tried to open the keyboard. Standalone GPS was not placed on the phone until 4-6 months after the phone was released and even then it wasn't enabled unless you used another program (just like the 800w at launch) to start it. Volume with the phone sucked unless you adjusted a file (audiopara).........

    Do I need to go on?


    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If you take a look at the volume of 2008 batteries in small form factor 1500 mAh and 1800 mAh @5v capacities, minus the 1150, as a portion of volume of handsets the size of the 800w, the size difference would be quite small, in single digit percentage.

    Let's face it, no one is buying the treo for its cutting edge form factor, I think we tend toward being utilitarian. I think if you imagine a total increase in volume of a book of matches to go to 1800 and even less for 1500,(and apparently from seidio -- no increase to go to 1300), most of use would have preferred it. I bet Palm would have in retrospect as well.

    A lot depends on your habits. And in fact your ability to alter your habits. We've altered ours.

    I just think that a bump to 1500ma would have pushed perhaps a good chunk of the majority of owners who don't like the battery life, into a position of being less unhappy with the battery.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I'm so sick of people making these stupid battery threads. Just live with it, if you don't like it don't use the phone it's that simple.
    To the people who keep comparing this phone to the Mogul. Please stop, if the Mogul was that good you should have kept it and return your 800. I had the Mogul, went through 4 of them and couldn't wait to get rid of the thing. It may have had a longer battery life but you couldn't read the screen when in any type of sunlight. The screen took ages (freaking ages) to turn if you hadn't just reset the phone, and tried to open the keyboard. Standalone GPS was not placed on the phone until 4-6 months after the phone was released and even then it wasn't enabled unless you used another program (just like the 800w at launch) to start it. Volume with the phone sucked unless you adjusted a file (audiopara).........

    Do I need to go on?
    wow. you need to read the comments you are cut and pasting. I haven't compared the 800w to the mogul ever. Neither did the OP!

    I made a comment on the very small approximate size by volume difference on the various battery options.

    As people have noted the battery life is the number one complaint on 50 CNET user reviews . You have professional reviews calling it the "downfall" of the device.

    What is with the continued disinformation on the Standalone issue thrown in? Was the mogul advertised and promoted as having "Standalone GPS'?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    wow. you need to read the comments you are cut and pasting. I haven't compared the 800w to the mogul ever. Neither did the OP!

    I made a comment on the very small approximate size by volume difference on the various battery options.

    As people have noted the battery life is the number one complaint on 50 CNET user reviews . You have professional reviews calling it the "downfall" of the device.

    What is with the continued disinformation on the Standalone issue thrown in? Was the mogul advertised and promoted as having "Standalone GPS'?
    Great post. Why do so many 800w owners constantly try to reassure themselves that they didn't waste their money?

    Right now, Seidio's battery gives me less battery life than the stock battery. If anyone decides to keep their 800w, I'd recommend getting a bunch of free batteries from your local Sprint store. They're used to handing them out to unhappy 800w owners so all you need to do is ask.
  16. vMAC's Avatar
    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    wow. you need to read the comments you are cut and pasting. I haven't compared the 800w to the mogul ever. Neither did the OP!

    I made a comment on the very small approximate size by volume difference on the various battery options.

    As people have noted the battery life is the number one complaint on 50 CNET user reviews . You have professional reviews calling it the "downfall" of the device.

    What is with the continued disinformation on the Standalone issue thrown in? Was the mogul advertised and promoted as having "Standalone GPS'?
    I actually did read the comment, but i must have quoted the wrong thread. It was actually nsxprime that brought up the Mogul. But my point still stands, he's comparing the size of the Mogul to that of the 800 and then the battery size. I'm saying that they should have made the Mogul bigger or put a smaller battery in it if it would have fixed the numerous problems with the Mogul.

    Your point on CNET, is just stupid on principal. Go check out this link CNET MOGUL REVIEWS
    . Seems like when this phone was released there was a battery problem also, because out of the first 15 reviews almost 7 issue battery problems.

    And yes it was advertised as standalone, HTC may not have advertised it but Sprint did and still does.
  17.    #17  
    Hmmm...

    Last night I uninstalled WeatherBug and replaced it with WeatherPanel. I configured WeatherPanel to download updates every 30 minutes - as I had done with WeatherBug. So far, I'm getting MUCH better battery life today - even though I've been playing on the internet a lot more than yesterday. Perhaps WeatherBug is the culprit? Googling "Weatherbug" and "battery life" brings up several pages mentioning WeatherBug's adverse effect on iPhone battery life. While we're talking Treo here and not iPhone - perhaps WeatherBug causes the processor to not go into power saving mode or something?

    -Kevin
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink View Post
    Hmmm...

    Last night I uninstalled WeatherBug and replaced it with WeatherPanel. I configured WeatherPanel to download updates every 30 minutes - as I had done with WeatherBug. So far, I'm getting MUCH better battery life today - even though I've been playing on the internet a lot more than yesterday. Perhaps WeatherBug is the culprit? Googling "Weatherbug" and "battery life" brings up several pages mentioning WeatherBug's adverse effect on iPhone battery life. While we're talking Treo here and not iPhone - perhaps WeatherBug causes the processor to not go into power saving mode or something?

    -Kevin
    Those weather programs are battery killers.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  19. ft5117's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Treo 700wx rated talk time = 4.5 hrs

    Treo 800w rated talk time = 4.0 hrs

    Talk time includes internet, wifi use, GPS, etc. If you are not able to get 4 hrs of constant usage, the device is defective.
    It makes sense that the 800w would run longer on lower capacity batteries. Newer electronic devices tend to be more power efficient. :tup:

    I figured out a way to make my 800w last an entire day of heavy use on one single charge. I need to find the time to post a thread...



    Quote Originally Posted by kevink View Post
    I configured WeatherPanel to download updates every 30 minutes - as I had done with WeatherBug.
    Does your weather change that quickly... or do you not trust your local weatherman's forecast? I used Weatherpanel on my 700wx and had it set to update every time I connected to the internet... it saved a ton of battery life. Maybe consider setting it to update once a day?
    Last edited by ft5117; 09/11/2008 at 05:30 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Having WeatherPanel update every 30 minutes seems to have little adverse affect on my battery - unlike WeatherBug (though I otherwise think WeatherBug is a decent ap.

    I guess I probably could set WeatherPanel to update a bit less often - the weather here in eastern San Diego County is pretty boring. :-P

    Kevin
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions