Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Have you ever used a 700p? I got Exchange pushed via Good Link (3rd party) and Versamail (built in app which Palm licensed from MS) for 2 years before I got the 800w. And yes, they do use more battery, but I could still get 4 hours of talk time on my 700p using both Good Link and Versamail.

    Maybe the 700p was under spec'ed.

    Tae
    Turn off the mail sync and see how long you can talk. Also see what was noted above. The specs count talk time, not talk time plus mail being pushed. I upgraded from a T650, no I didn't use any push mail services. On the 700p you pushed mail via 3rd party utilities, I didn't know they finally got Versamail working better on the Palm devices. The 700p has a 1800mAh battery, much larger than the 800w battery, 1150 mAh.

    So your 700p with a much larger battery may outperform specs, but the 800w is within specs.

    This is very much likely why you are claiming not to get 4 hours while the rest of us are getting it with no problems.
  2. #42  
    Not getting anywhere near 4hrs of continuous talk time on any of my 800w's. Hard to believe that they're all defective. More inclined to believe that others are misrepresenting their own talk times.

    There is zero chance that I can get 4 hours on a single call from a full charge. Zero. Not using push mail and in a good signal area. Always have beams turned off and don't have GPS on when doing the talking tests.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Turn off the mail sync and see how long you can talk. Also see what was noted above. The specs count talk time, not talk time plus mail being pushed. I upgraded from a T650, no I didn't use any push mail services. On the 700p you pushed mail via 3rd party utilities, I didn't know they finally got Versamail working better on the Palm devices. The 700p has a 1800mAh battery, much larger than the 800w battery, 1150 mAh.

    So your 700p with a much larger battery may outperform specs, but the 800w is within specs.

    This is very much likely why you are claiming not to get 4 hours while the rest of us are getting it with no problems.
    I posted this in response to your other post, but I was told by someone representing Palm, on the CDMA network, you cannot use data concurrently while talking. So if I'm talking for 90 minutes, Exchange shouldn't be polling during the 90 minutes.

    Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

    But you are right. I should blow out Exchange for a test to satisfy my curiosity. Of course, in the real world, turning off Exchange or setting up for manual pull is not an option for me in my current job, which is the reason why I haven't done so already.

    Tae
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Did I sound upset on my posts in this thread? I think I was more expressing surprise than anger or being upset. I think you might be getting defensive for whatever reason and making some incorrect assumptions.
    My point is that you're not fully satisfied, so you're going to vent somewhere. You may not think you're upset, but you are not satisfied, you're unhappy with the performance.

    So let me clarify. I have been reading the forums. I turned off my GPS to emergency only, turned off BT, turned off Wifi, turned off all programs I'm not using, and I still don't get 4 hours of talk time.

    Only program I use is the Exchange sync. As far as I am aware, when you are talking, it's not processing email or using data connections (one of the things I learned from a Palm Webinar on the CDMA network. I think this might be different on the GSM phones). So it should be single processed (other than maybe the OS).
    Will you PLEASE read this? Why don't you turn it off and try? I guess you can't, because you need mail sync to keep going. Well buy the bigger battery and you'll have way more battery life. I've been reading these forums too along with those at Palm.com and it's been made known many times over that your mail connection is killing your battery life, regardless of what you may think.



    I made efforts to isolate and minimize any processes to extend my talk time. Take it for what it's worth, but I have an engineering degree and I work in the IT field. It's bit of my nature to be systematic. I know I know....I could tell you I'm a brain surgeon over the Internet in a post and there is no way to validate the information.
    I have a BS and MS in Comp Sci, been working in IT 15 years, I never felt you were somehow not technically astute. Your mail sync is likely killing your battery life. Also see the other items listed.

    I understand talk time can vary depending on conditions (even weather) and usage. If I was getting 3 hours of talk time, I would say close enough to rated time. But even with the efforts I've made to extend talk time, I'm not getting passed 2 hours.
    Because you've still got to shut down the mail sync if you want to get a test that matches the testing for the specs. Turn off mail sync, do a soft reset, charge the battery and then see how long you can stay on a call staying in the same place the entire call. That will give you a true test of the battery life for talk time.

    So again, I ask what are your conditions or scenarios where you are seeing 4 hours of talk time. I'm curious to see if I can apply some of your settings other than manual pull. In fact, if you know how Palm got their rated talk time, please share.
    You can't because you need to keep your mail sync going. I'm doing what was mentioned in comments 25 & 26. That's why I keep pointing you to it.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    I posted this in response to your other post, but I was told by someone representing Palm, on the CDMA network, you cannot use data concurrently while talking. So if I'm talking for 90 minutes, Exchange shouldn't be polling during the 90 minutes.

    Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

    But you are right. I should blow out Exchange for a test to satisfy my curiosity. Of course, in the real world, turning off Exchange or setting up for manual pull is not an option in my current position.

    Tae
    But you still won't turn it off to test.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Not getting anywhere near 4hrs of continuous talk time on any of my 800w's. Hard to believe that they're all defective. More inclined to believe that others are misrepresenting their own talk times.

    There is zero chance that I can get 4 hours on a single call from a full charge. Zero. Not using push mail and in a good signal area. Always have beams turned off and don't have GPS on when doing the talking tests.
    Well nsxprime, you and whoever else can say I'm lying and even getting a check from Palm and Sprint to come here and say the battery works well for me.

    Really I've got nothing else to say, because I'm doing fine.
  7. #47  
    freetreo700p - I'm done. This is a circular discussion and I've told you what I could. Mine is doing fine.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    freetreo700p - I'm done. This is a circular discussion and I've told you what I could. Mine is doing fine.
    Darnell,

    If I upset you in anyway, my apologies. It wasn't my intent. I thought we were just having a discussion. However, I'm glad to hear your 800w is doing fine.

    Unfortunately, based on the 2 units I had, I cannot say that the current unit is meeting the rated spec's.

    One of the reasons I participate in these types of discussions even though it has been already discussed numerous times is because I am aware Palm monitors this board and they do take some feedback from the discussions.

    Case in point, you don't see the new Treo Pro using the same stylus from the Treo 800w.

    Tae
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Darnell,

    If I upset you in anyway, my apologies. It wasn't my intent. I thought we were just having a discussion. However, I'm glad to hear your 800w is doing fine.

    Unfortunately, based on the 2 units I had, I cannot say that the current unit is meeting the rated spec's.

    One of the reasons I participate in these types of discussions even though it has been already discussed numerous times is because I am aware Palm monitors this board and they do take some feedback from the discussions.

    Case in point, you don't see the new Treo Pro using the same stylus from the Treo 800w.

    Tae
    Same here. No way that the 800w can do 4 hours of continuous talk on a single phone call. You're also right about not being able to do data while on a phone call. Not sure why that causes so much confusion for some people on this forum. It's just not possible with the current CDMA network.

    It is nice to see that Palm is learning from their mistakes. The Treo Pro fixes most of the bugs and terrible decisions made in the 800w.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    If 70% are seeing the advertised specifications, I wonder why there are so many posts regarding battery life. Very interesting.
    Because the wording of the poll is highly leading.

    Two hours seems low but it isn't four eithter
    I get three hours and 10 minutes average on two 800w phones at five bars using the method where you call the handset on skype and play a continuous audio file to it.
  11. #51  
    aero - Make a poll and show us how to do it right, OK?

    Bottom line is, some of us, most of us, really are getting the specs advertised battery performance. Even Cnet did.

    The Palm Treo 800w's 1,150mAh lithium-ion battery has a rated talk time of 4 hours and up to 8.3 days of standby time. In our battery drain tests, we were able to get 4.5 hours of talk time. With general usage, we noticed that after only a few hours of use, the battery levels dropped fairly fast, so that's a definite concern. With GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 3G, battery life will be an issue. According to FCC radiation tests, the Treo 800w has a digital SAR rating of 1.42 watts per kilogram.
    Last edited by darnell; 09/14/2008 at 07:49 PM.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Because the wording of the poll is highly leading.

    Two hours seems low but it isn't four eithter
    I get three hours and 10 minutes average on two 800w phones at five bars using the method where you call the handset on skype and play a continuous audio file to it.
    Maybe you'll get four hours if you put the phone directly under a tower, turn off everything, keep the volume turned all the way down, do a battery dance and then sacrifice a small animal to appease the battery gods.
  13. #53  
    I still don't get what folks are doing that's so battery intensive - I have my Treo practically stapled to my hand, and I consistently have 65% power after a typical 10 hour workday.

    I pull email every hour, make a half-dozen calls and send tons of emails, plus a bit of web surfing. I turn off BT, but don't bother turning off GPS. I think it's important to make sure that your email settings don't cause a battery drain (make your settings in "tools", not "delivery preferences").
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  14. #54  
    Another review noting battery life that meets (actually exceeds) the specs.

    Battery life was a mixed bag. We got just under 5 hours in a single call, which was a little disappointing, but when we added data and other power-sapping features to the mix, things got even worse. With Exchange ActiveSync running continually, the Treo made it through a couple of days without a charge, though it wouldn't have gotten through a second overnight. With Wi-Fi and GPS active, we could easily see the phone drained in less than a single day's use, especially with an active push e-mail connection.
    If someone wants to test if they can get battery life at specs, they should do the following and 2 Treo 800w owners could even do it and test their devices. Maybe some folks here claiming battery life below specs should team up and do it if they feel they are not getting battery life at specs.:
    1. Backup your device.
    2. Hard reset your device
    3. Top off the battery.
    4. Make a call and see how long it goes. Stay in the same place with good reception the entire call.


    That would tell you how long a call can go with a device out the box. Assuming your battery is not defective or damaged.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Because the wording of the poll is highly leading.

    Two hours seems low but it isn't four eithter
    I get three hours and 10 minutes average on two 800w phones at five bars using the method where you call the handset on skype and play a continuous audio file to it.
    Your talk time results are similar to the test conducted by mobiletechreview at http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Treo-800w.htm

    Battery

    The Treo 800w has a surprisingly low capacity 1150 mAh Lithium Ion battery. Past Sprint Treo phones had very high capacity 1800 mAh batteries and we're feeling those missing milliamps. Those of you who use push email and talk on the phone quite a bit may want to invest in a second battery for the 800w. In our tests, we got 3 hours and 20 minutes of talk time in a good coverage area with no use of the multimedia or PDA features. Standby time is very good at a claimed 8.3 days which was reflected in our tests (this means absolutely no use of the phone).


    Still an hour and 10 minutes short of Palm's rated spec's, but I would take 3 hours on my phone at this point.

    Tae
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If someone wants to test if they can get battery life at specs, they should do the following and 2 Treo 800w owners could even do it and test their devices. Maybe some folks here claiming battery life below specs should team up and do it if they feel they are not getting battery life at specs.:
    1. Backup your device.
    2. Hard reset your device
    3. Top off the battery.
    4. Make a call and see how long it goes. Stay in the same place with good reception the entire call.


    That would tell you how long a call can go with a device out the box. Assuming your battery is not defective or damaged.
    That is not the standard test. with the standard test need to simulate a conversation. It is common to call to the mobile from skype and run an audio book through.

    I used the standard test for my results
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Your talk time results are similar to the test conducted by mobiletechreview at http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Treo-800w.htm

    Battery

    The Treo 800w has a surprisingly low capacity 1150 mAh Lithium Ion battery. Past Sprint Treo phones had very high capacity 1800 mAh batteries and we're feeling those missing milliamps. Those of you who use push email and talk on the phone quite a bit may want to invest in a second battery for the 800w. In our tests, we got 3 hours and 20 minutes of talk time in a good coverage area with no use of the multimedia or PDA features. Standby time is very good at a claimed 8.3 days which was reflected in our tests (this means absolutely no use of the phone).


    Still an hour and 10 minutes short of Palm's rated spec's, but I would take 3 hours on my phone at this point.

    Tae
    Exactly right. Standard testing shows the battery life falls well short of Palm's claims.
  18. #58  
    This is the dumbest thread ever...

    Gee, lets cherry pick reviews to find our conclusions! First Cnet is a "serious review", then we dismiss their battery claims. Then we find one that counters them and concluded

    N: (pulling the pipe from out mouth) "Cherry oh, they must have done the Standard Testing!"
    A: "Oh, they did the Standard Testing, did they? Sweet Mary!"
    then the reflex response
    N: "Indeed!"

    Lets throw some more cherry pickings to sway the other way, just to keep this crap going:
    We got just under 5 hours in a single call, which was a little disappointing... -InfoSync
    Yes, always disappointing when it you get more than the rated talk time.
    The entire phone is built like a rock with lots of battery - you get about 4.5 hours of talk time and 200 on standby, which I confirmed by carrying this thing for about a week with only one or two recharges... -CrunchGear
    I found with about an hour of phone calls per day, hundreds of SMS messages (Twitter of course) and moderate internet use, I was able to make it 14 hours before it was dead. -Cell Phone Junkie
    Palm rates the battery for 4.5 hours of talk time, and 200 hours of standby. My tests got about the same on talk time; -PalmAddicts
    Many of the calls made with the Treo 800w were crystal-clear....After about 2 hours of listening to music, another hour or so of calls, and intermittent Web use and document editing in MS Word Mobile, the battery was down to 39 percent. -Laptop
    And of course Cnet (those Palm fanboy charlatans! They must be doing the non-standard testing! Pfftt...they should have some of our hoppy members show them how it's done!)
    The Palm Treo 800w's 1,150mAh lithium-ion battery has a rated talk time of 4 hours and up to 8.3 days of standby time. In our battery drain tests, we were able to get 4.5 hours of talk time. -Cnet
    Gee this is fun! But obviously we can ignore all of these above if it doesn't fit our agenda.

    You mf'ers ever hear: YMMV?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is not the standard test. with the standard test need to simulate a conversation. It is common to call to the mobile from skype and run an audio book through.

    I used the standard test for my results
    I was hoping those doing the test as I suggested would actually talk . Seriously.

    I'm sure CNet knows how to do a test, as all the others Malatesta has noted. The polls and reviews overwhelmingly prove the battery works according to specs. At least for most of us it does.

    Malatesta, I could not agree more with your comment #58! Although I don't concur with the expletive .
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Malatesta, I could not agree more with your comment #58! Although I don't concur with the expletive .
    mufflers is a bad word?

    Damn you mufflers!

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions