Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Your point on CNET, is just stupid on principal. Go check out this link CNET MOGUL REVIEWS
    . Seems like when this phone was released there was a battery problem also, because out of the first 15 reviews almost 7 issue battery problems.
    Again you need to read before throwing around terms, quite ironically, like "stupid."

I just looked at the CNET Mogul user reviews. On the first ten most helpful user reviews on CNET NOT ONE mentioned Battery life in the "con" section for Mogul. Soprted by date the early reviews of Mogul aslo said nothing in con section about battery life.

Of the first ten most helpful on Palm -- ALL mention Battery life as a con.

Palm knows it is a deficiency, Sprint knows it is a deficiency, serious the reviewers know it is a problem, and many users here express interest in a larger battery.

Palms next model has a seriously larger battery.

No one is damning the phone. The OP and others are saying it is a deficiency. What is the point of popping in to call the discussion "stupid" and then mispost my comment, which had nothing to do with your response, and then misrepresent what is on CNET?
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    You're right I shouldn't have come in here and said anything. I apologize to everyone who was trying to have a valid conversation before I came in this discussion and thread-crapped.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Again you need to read before throwing around terms, quite ironically, like "stupid."

I just looked at the CNET Mogul user reviews. On the first ten most helpful user reviews on CNET NOT ONE mentioned Battery life in the "con" section for Mogul. Soprted by date the early reviews of Mogul aslo said nothing in con section about battery life.

Of the first ten most helpful on Palm -- ALL mention Battery life as a con.

Palm knows it is a deficiency, Sprint knows it is a deficiency, serious the reviewers know it is a problem, and many users here express interest in a larger battery.

Palms next model has a seriously larger battery.

No one is damning the phone. The OP and others are saying it is a deficiency. What is the point of popping in to call the discussion "stupid" and then mispost my comment, which had nothing to do with your response, and then misrepresent what is on CNET?
    I figured out a way to make my 800w last an entire day of heavy use on one single charge. I need to find the time to post a thread...

what?!?! get er done!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    I figured out a way to make my 800w last an entire day of heavy use on one single charge. I need to find the time to post a thread...

what?!?! get er done!
    Can't deny a specific request, so here's a summary for ya...

Keep your task manager as clear as possible. In other words, run as few programs as possible. The more things you have running, the faster your battery drains. It's common sense / common knowledge, but not enough people have the discipline to do this. I used to be amazed at how fast and efficiently my 800w was running with so many open apps. It wasn't until recently that I realized how much power I saved by stopping (completely exiting) unused apps. As you already know, there's two simple shortcuts to open the task manager: 1. hold down the OK button til it opens. 2. "Function" + "OK" and it'll open instantly. It's hard to constantly check the task manager, but once you get used to properly exiting your apps, then you'll start seeing longer battery life. Check out the free "Magic button" app. I went from having to charge my phone during the middle of the day... to having 8+ hours battery life under heavy use! Other things I've done to increase battery life: Use AIM thru text messaging instead of the OZ Instant messenger app. Keep EVDO turned off when not needed. Check emails on desktop or laptop as much as possible... so that you can set your 800w email to "manual", so you can check email when you have time. Again, feel free to enjoy the many features of the 800w, but remember to turn off apps you not using them. Hope this brief, not very detailed explanation helps. Let me know how it works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    Can't deny a specific request, so here's a summary for ya...

Keep your task manager as clear as possible. In other words, run as few programs as possible. The more things you have running, the faster your battery drains. It's common sense / common knowledge, but not enough people have the discipline to do this. I used to be amazed at how fast and efficiently my 800w was running with so many open apps. It wasn't until recently that I realized how much power I saved by stopping (completely exiting) unused apps. As you already know, there's two simple shortcuts to open the task manager: 1. hold down the OK button til it opens. 2. "Function" + "OK" and it'll open instantly. It's hard to constantly check the task manager, but once you get used to properly exiting your apps, then you'll start seeing longer battery life. Check out the free "Magic button" app. I went from having to charge my phone during the middle of the day... to having 8+ hours battery life under heavy use! Other things I've done to increase battery life: Use AIM thru text messaging instead of the OZ Instant messenger app. Keep EVDO turned off when not needed. Check emails on desktop or laptop as much as possible... so that you can set your 800w email to "manual", so you can check email when you have time. Again, feel free to enjoy the many features of the 800w, but remember to turn off apps you not using them. Hope this brief, not very detailed explanation helps. Let me know how it works for you.
    Excellent advice. Checking task manager really helped me by about 10% or more. IRDA proved to be a 5% drain (wow a lot for its very rare utility to me) GPS wasn't actually much of a drain on my device.
    Also see Palm's Official Guide on how to conserve battery life.

Bottom line is, this is a powerful device that can run many processes simultaneously. So the less you're using the longer the battery life.

Following some of the tips (including what ft5117 said and I had to stop using Magic Button because of conflicts) and I don't follow them all because I like keeping certain things on, is why I'm doing better than Palm's specs for battery life. And I'm near chargers almost all the time, so I don't really need the advice as much as some of you out there.
    And why have ActiveSync running after your device is off the USB cable? I always kill that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And why have ActiveSync running after your device is off the USB cable? I always kill that one.
    If you use Exchange email with 'As Items Arrive', Activesync will be running nearly all the time.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    If you use Exchange email with 'As Items Arrive', Activesync will be running nearly all the time.
    Well yea for those who need it, that's understood.

With all the glowing reviews of Seidio's Innocell 2600 Extended Battery, is there really a point for someone who really needs more battery life to still complain?

To those who still need more battery life, get the 2600 battery if you like the Treo 800w enough to otherwise keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Treo 700wx rated talk time = 4.5 hrs

Treo 800w rated talk time = 4.0 hrs

Talk time includes internet, wifi use, GPS, etc. If you are not able to get 4 hrs of constant usage, the device is defective.

But yeah, the days of fat 1800mah batteries appears to over in skinny 2008.
    Is anyone getting 4 hours of talk time with the 800w? I'm asking this question without any sarcasm.

I'm getting no where close to 4 hours of talk time. I would be lucky to clear 2 hours of talk time. And that's if I started talking immediately after a full charge and not 2 hours of talking throughout an 8 hour work day.

I'm on my 2nd 800w and I got 2 batteries. Neither phones nor the batteries get me anywhere close to 4 hours.

Tae
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p View Post
    Is anyone getting 4 hours of talk time with the 800w? I'm asking this question without any sarcasm.
    Me, plus over the advertised standby time.

Also see this post, where about 70% affirmed they get the advertised battery performance.
    I have to tell you, based on my personal experience, I find it hard to believe anyone could say that the battery life is meeting advertising specifications.

My standby time over the weekend appears to meet specifications, but my talk time doesn't. I've gone 90 minutes of talk (or listening on mute) before hitting around 20% battery life left in many occassions.

If 70% are seeing the advertised specifications, I wonder why there are so many posts regarding battery life. Very interesting.

Tae
    I have to tell you, based on my personal experience, I find it hard to believe anyone could say that the battery life is meeting advertising specifications.
    You only speak for yourself. I've shown you a majority are getting it.

If 70% are seeing the advertised specifications, I wonder why there are so many posts regarding battery life. Very interesting.

Tae
    See the poll where I asked how many were not getting the advertised spec performance.

I'm not saying the battery is big, but it does meet the advertised specs.
    freetreo700p - When you're on the phone for a couple of hours straight, are you in the same place the whole time or moving around?
    You only speak for yourself. I've shown you a majority are getting it.

See the poll where I asked how many were not getting the advertised spec performance.

I'm not saying the battery is big, but it does meet the advertised specs.
    Exactly. I've clearly stated that BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE. I think I made it very clear that I'm not speaking on anyone else's behalf.

I came from the Treo 700p. I believe it had either the same rating or close to the same rating as the 800w in talk time. I can tell you again, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, the 700p met the rated specifications, but for me, I'm getting no where near the rated specifications on the 800w.

The point I was trying to make in my statement is I could be in the minority with the other 15% from your poll. However, why the huge number of threads on battery life if truly 70% of the 800w owners are finding that the 800w is meeting the rated specifications? Are reports from the other battery threads expecting more than the rated specifications?

Tae
    freetreo700p - When you're on the phone for a couple of hours straight, are you in the same place the whole time or moving around?
    Sometimes I'm at home in one spot taking a conference call on my cell. Other times, I'm taking conference calls while I'm on the road.

In either situation, I'm not coming close to 4 hours of talk time before seeing the battery bar go red. 2 hours max. I could have a faulty phone, but then again, this is my 2nd phone. I could have a faulty battery, but I have 2 batteries which shows no difference. One of the batteries is from the 1st phone which I had to return to Sprint, but the tech let me keep the battery.

I do use Exchange sync with the automatic push. However, literally, once I unplugged my phone, got in the car, took a conference call on my commute to work using the supplied headset from Palm, by the time I got to the office in about 90 minutes (LA traffic), my battery indicator was in the red. I've done this before with my 700p many times and at most, it would only reach the half way point on the battery indicator with the 700p.

And I'm not bashing Palm. My last 3 phones have been Treo's from Palm. Actually, last 6 phones if I count the ones I had to return to Sprint for defective phones. I stuck it out even with all the problems.

I'm just stating, I'm not getting anywhere near the 4 hours.

Let me know how you are using your phone to get 4 hours of talk time.

Tae
    E
    I came from the Treo 700p. I believe it had either the same rating or close to the same rating as the 800w in talk time. I can tell you again, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, the 700p met the rated specifications, but for me, I'm getting no where near the rated specifications on the 800w.
    You went from a device that did single processing, to one that runs multiple programs simultaneously.

The point I was trying to make in my statement is I could be in the minority with the other 15% from your poll. However, why the huge number of threads on battery life if truly 70% of the 800w owners are finding that the 800w is meeting the rated specifications? Are reports from the other battery threads expecting more than the rated specifications?

Tae
    You've been around here since 2006, but if you stay around for some more years you're going to learn about the very vocal minority with the release of every new device. Those happy have no complaints, they've got nothing to gripe about, so they are not going to make post about something as often as someone upset. What's the point of making posts that say "my battery works like they said it would"? You who are upset are far more likely to make a post about the thing you take issue with, in your case battery life.

Those upset, some may be desiring more than the specs and they may be using their devices in a manner that does not properly performance test to meet the specs. As I said, this is a device that runs multiple applications at once and just flat out does way more than prior devices. So the OS takes far more overhead in a device such as the Treo 800w.
    I do use Exchange sync with the automatic push. However, literally, once I unplugged my phone, got in the car, took a conference call on my commute to work using the supplied headset from Palm, by the time I got to the office in about 90 minutes (LA traffic), my battery indicator was in the red. I've done this before with my 700p many times and at most, it would only reach the half way point on the battery indicator with the 700p.
    See what I have in bold from your comment and read everything provided in comments #25 & 26 above.

You should get the bigger battery.

I don't push mail to my device, I pull it manually. Now could you push Exchange mail with your 700p? That's a difference, that takes battery my friend.
    See what I have in bold from your comment and read everything provided in comments #25 & 26 above.

You should get the bigger battery.

I don't push mail to my device, I pull it manually. Now could you push Exchange mail with your 700p? That's a difference, that takes battery my friend.
    Have you ever used a 700p? I got Exchange pushed via Good Link (3rd party) and Versamail (built in app which Palm licensed from MS) for 2 years before I got the 800w. And yes, they do use more battery, but I could still get 4 hours of talk time on my 700p using both Good Link and Versamail.

Maybe the 700p was under spec'ed.

Tae
    You went from a device that did single processing, to one that runs multiple programs simultaneously.

You've been around here since 2006, but if you stay around for some more years you're going to learn about the very vocal minority with the release of every new device. Those happy have no complaints, they've got nothing to gripe about, so they are not going to make post about something as often as someone upset. What's the point of making posts that say "my battery works like they said it would"? You who are upset are far more likely to make a post about the thing you take issue with, in your case battery life.

Those upset, some may be desiring more than the specs and they may be using their devices in a manner that does not properly performance test to meet the specs. As I said, this is a device that runs multiple applications at once and just flat out does way more than prior devices. So the OS takes far more overhead in a device such as the Treo 800w.
    Did I sound upset on my posts in this thread? I think I was more expressing surprise than anger or being upset. I think you might be getting defensive for whatever reason and making some incorrect assumptions.

So let me clarify. I have been reading the forums. I turned off my GPS to emergency only, turned off BT, turned off Wifi, turned off all programs I'm not using, and I still don't get 4 hours of talk time.

Only program I use is the Exchange sync. As far as I am aware, when you are talking, it's not processing email or using data connections (one of the things I learned from a Palm Webinar on the CDMA network. I think this might be different on the GSM phones). So it should be single processed (other than maybe the OS).

I made efforts to isolate and minimize any processes to extend my talk time. Take it for what it's worth, but I have an engineering degree and I work in the IT field. It's bit of my nature to be systematic. I know I know....I could tell you I'm a brain surgeon over the Internet in a post and there is no way to validate the information.

I understand talk time can vary depending on conditions (even weather) and usage. If I was getting 3 hours of talk time, I would say close enough to rated time. But even with the efforts I've made to extend talk time, I'm not getting passed 2 hours.

So again, I ask what are your conditions or scenarios where you are seeing 4 hours of talk time. I'm curious to see if I can apply some of your settings other than manual pull. In fact, if you know how Palm got their rated talk time, please share.

If I were to be upset by anything, it would be Microsoft's inability to still isolate and fix why the phone alarm doesn't go off sometimes and why my phone sometimes doesn't ring on incoming calls (this could be a Palm or Sprint issue).

This is my first WinMobile based phone, but I have used PDA's dating back to the WinCE days (still have the Compaq Ipaq 3000 series PDA). And the phone alarm not going sometimes existed since back then.

Tae
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast