Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Given the flush screen, how do we feel about screen protectors?

How much of the front of the device would the screen protector have to cover to look right?

I'm feeling inclined to let my Treo Pro go 'naked', and give it just an occasional wipe to remove fingerprints.
    ive been wondering greatly about this myself.
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Given the flush screen, how do we feel about screen protectors?

How much of the front of the device would the screen protector have to cover to look right?

I'm feeling inclined to let my Treo Pro go 'naked', and give it just an occasional wipe to remove fingerprints.
    I used to be a die-hard 'let it go naked' user because all the protectors I tried diminished the display quality, which make me think, what's the point? And I never had a problem with anything because smudges before my Treo 750. I don't know if the 750's screen is more sensitive or if I've just had bad luck with it whereas I didn't with my 600/650/755 but I have one slight scratch and a few perma-smudges on my 750's screen that I'd really like to avoid when my Pro arrives.
    I know screen protector may seem to take some luster away but I think a flush screen is more prone to scratches than recessed ones. I sometimes lay my treo face down accidently. With treo pro having a flush screen, I see a good reason to invest in screen protector. I hope there be a good quality and transparent one available in market.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    i dont see why you couldnt use one for the 680, it looks like their screens are the same size.
    -tgwaste
    I always try to start out with a screen protector.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I know screen protector may seem to take some luster away but I think a flush screen is more prone to scratches than recessed ones. I sometimes lay my treo face down accidently. With treo pro having a flush screen, I see a good reason to invest in screen protector. I hope there be a good quality and transparent one available in market.
    I had a Treo 500, which has a flush screen, and I didn't have a problem with scratches. However, the 500 doesn't use a touch screen.
    With the flush screen on the HTC Touch and the Blackberry Curve I noticed that I got a lot more scratches than I ever did on my recessed screen devices and I am the ultra-carefull type!

I think with the flush screen on the touch pro it's going to be mandatory. I plan to slap any old thing on there as soon as I take it out of the box and then get a custom cut/made one as soon as they are available.
    Does anybody have the actual dimensions of the screen at this point? I am not talking about the 320x320 resolution either.

I purchased the Martin Fields screen protector for my 750 over a year ago and it still looks perfect. Yes nothing is as impressive as a "naked screen" as far as appearence goes but this protector is the best I have ever seen.

I think the fact that it is a touch screen and flush means you will be crazy not to use a protector.

I am going to use a protector from a 3 pack of cheapos I got for my 750 first (they have to at least cover 90% of the screen right?) then when then custom Martin Fields comes out I will use that one--unless I read about a better one here first!
    Last edited by Dsol; 09/12/2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: corrected wording
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i'll start off with a couple of martin fields screen protectors i have from my 750... hopefully, they'll be one included with the phone. i agree with others here; if you have a flush, touch screen device, its best to cover it up. i have an Orbit 2 and a Sprint Touch, both of which are flush screens, that have been covered from day 1 with Martin Fields screen protectors. judging from the scratches on the protectors, they've done their job well. oh yeah, this is a $550 investment i'd like to protect as best i can!
    Last edited by cortez.i; 09/11/2008 at 07:51 PM.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I always try to start out with a screen protector.
    Me too. You may have to sell it one day.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Anyone know if Invisible Shield is also available for Treo (sorry I ask the same question in another thread, but this one looks more relevant)? I saw people use them for their iphones.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Does anybody have the actual dimensions of the screen at this point? I am not talking about the 320x320 resolution either.

I purchased the Martin Fields screen protector for my 750 over a year ago and it still looks perfect. Yes nothing is as impressive as a "naked screen" as far as appearence goes but this protector is the best I have ever seen.

I think the fact that it is a touch screen and flush means you will be crazy not to use a protector.

I am going to use a protector from a 3 pack of cheapos I got for my 750 first (they have to at least cover 90% of the screen right?) then when then custom Martin Fields comes out I will use that one--unless I read about a better one here first!
    The shop sold me the screen protector is actually for 750. It fits nicely.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Just got this from ebay today.

Was expecting it to be cheap and nasty, but wanted anything to tide me over until the big boys made one for the pro...

But you know what? It is thick, well-made and fits perfectly, with no bubbles. Size-wise it fits exactly around the chrome "borders" of the screen. I expect when the purpose made ones come around they will be bigger and come down over the Start/OK buttons.

But for now this will do nicely.
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    I use Boxwave anti-glare screen protectors on literally every phone I get.

They usually increase the touchscreen sensitivity (on weak touchscreens like the Centro) and most importantly it does not smudge/fingerprint heavily like clear screen protectors because of the matte surface.
    Are the anti glare the ones that make the screen look as if there is a layer of haze, dust or shading on the screen? I am always torn on this issue because I like the fact that they are anti-glare and I like the way they feel, (they glide when swiped). But they are really noticeable on there right?
  17. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Are the anti glare the ones that make the screen look as if there is a layer of haze, dust or shading on the screen? I am always torn on this issue because I like the fact that they are anti-glare and I like the way they feel, (they glide when swiped). But they are really noticeable on there right?
    The effect is slight but you will notice it, especially when trying to peer at tiny fonts. I always end up swapping them for UltraClear variants. Not so much a problem on QVGA devices but on high-res devices I want it to be as clear and sharp as possible, even if that means taking the hit of extra reflections and the need to keep it clean.
    It's not terribly noticeable when the screen is turned on. You can tell but it's not really a big deal imo (opinions may vary). The main benefits are that they are not a fingerprint magnet and the reduce in glare.

You can't go wrong with either Boxwave though. I just preferr the AG.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I've just received my screen protectors from ScreenPatronus.

The good news it that they are designed to cover the whole screen from the top speaker to the 'Start' and 'OK' buttons.

The bad news is that they are slightly too wide, and therefore touch the slightly raised surround on the edges of the screen.

I am guessing the people who designed this only saw a Treo Pro briefly to make measurements. With slight adjustments they will be quite good.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    But aren't the Start and OK buttons 'pressable' buttons, although they're part of the touchscreen? How does that work, is there a 'join'?

And how well will a screen protector last if it covers those buttons, and will it suffer from being adjacent to the 5-way?

Will it need to be replaced frequently (my 650 screen protector has been in place 3 years with no prob) and look tatty for much of the time if it starts to peel?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast