Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    simple solution... 1. be patient it takes longer to boot 2. hit the option key twice and you wont have to hit it for each number 3. you always have the touch screen.

i am willing to wait an extra minute for the phone to boot for the increased responsiveness that WM6 offers
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    simple solution... 1. be patient it takes longer to boot 2. hit the option key twice and you wont have to hit it for each number 3. you always have the touch screen.

i am willing to wait an extra minute for the phone to boot for the increased responsiveness that WM6 offers
    I know, but I was just saying. It was easier in WM5, you didn't have to hit option at all. Now you take a 4 punch entry and make it 6. Not a big deal, I know, as there is a workaround, but just something I noticed.

Regarding the longer booting, we're you commenting on something I mentioned? I actually haven't seen a difference in the boot up time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveG_NH View Post
    I know, but I was just saying. It was easier in WM5, you didn't have to hit option at all. Now you take a 4 punch entry and make it 6. Not a big deal, I know, as there is a workaround, but just something I noticed.

Regarding the longer booting, we're you commenting on something I mentioned? I actually haven't seen a difference in the boot up time.

Thanks
    i am counting the time from power up to fully logged on... it is just an observation i was making
    Ah, I see. Thanks.
    Here's one thing I think they missed in testing at Palm...

I use the Lock feature, with a simple PIN password. In WM5, when the phone was locked, I could use the keypad (not the touchscreen) without having to hit the Option button first for each number entry. Since the password was simple PIN, the phone must have known and accepted the key entry as numeric.

But in WM6, I have to hit option, and it really slows you down. Very annoying. Does anyone else use this feature, and if so, can you test this on the VZ ROM WM6 upgrade and tell me if it behaves the same way for you?

Thanks

That's one of the Palm tweaks that was lost in the crappy conversion to 6.0 Verizon did.
    Thanks AXIMTREO for the help!! The people on this board are awesome!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's one of the Palm tweaks that was lost in the crappy conversion to 6.0 Verizon did.
    Palm tech support said they'd take a look at it and see what happened.

So Ebag, your testing 5 full WM6 ROM is based off this right? I saw that you said that, but that's it's been cleaned up. But it's still in a "testing" phase as far as you're concerned? It's not a stable "official" release, to use software dev terms?

I'm getting tempted to try it. If I install yours, can I then install the VZ ROM over it if I wanted to? According to Palm, once their ROM is installed, you wouldn't be able to install it again, so I'm curious how their update program would respond if your ROM was there...
    Quote Originally Posted by jim700wx View Post
    Thanks AXIMTREO for the help!! The people on this board are awesome!!!!
    My pleasure, I have been helped by many of these great people as well.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

So Ebag, your testing 5 full WM6 ROM is based off this right? I saw that you said that, but that's it's been cleaned up. But it's still in a "testing" phase as far as you're concerned? It's not a stable "official" release, to use software dev terms?

I'm getting tempted to try it. If I install yours, can I then install the VZ ROM over it if I wanted to? According to Palm, once their ROM is installed, you wouldn't be able to install it again, so I'm curious how their update program would respond if your ROM was there...
    The naming scheme Ebag used is a little strange, but 5 is the final version. I've been using 2 for a couple months and it's been rock solid (5 is just a "prettier" version of 2 I believe).

I believe you could install the "official" Palm ROM on top of Ebag's, but why would you want to?
    Yes, that is my boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    The naming scheme Ebag used is a little strange, but 5 is the final version. I've been using 2 for a couple months and it's been rock solid (5 is just a "prettier" version of 2 I believe).

I believe you could install the "official" Palm ROM on top of Ebag's, but why would you want to?
    I probably won't want to, but I want to be sure I *can*, just in case...

I'll wait for him to confirm, and then give it a shot. I'm curious to see what he did!
    I will be very surprised if anything happens.

Testing 5 is my latest. Why it's not considered a "final" is that there are a few things I intended to clean up and finalize, then the Mrs stole my 700wx. Drat.

For all intents and purposes it's pretty final. The bugs left (that I can actually address) are very small.

I probably won't want to, but I want to be sure I *can*, just in case...

I'll wait for him to confirm, and then give it a shot. I'm curious to see what he did!
    Consider it confirmed.

Just a little note, if you do install mine plan on using the SD card method to install the official Verizon one (if you go that route). The desktop installer checks the version number, and may not like what it finds.

This would really only apply if you've installed the official ROM, tried mine, and want to go back. But (as has been previously said) why would you want to anyway?
    Thanks Ebag. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to download the SD version after downloading the windows updated (as it said one per S/N), but I grabbed it this morning. Nice!

I did try to update with the windows updater again last night, and sure as the sun, it said the update wasn't needed, so if the SD version doesn't do that check, and will overwrite over and over, sweet! So as to not highjack this thread anymore, I'll post some questions I have about the process over in the custom ROM thread...

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I did the update and was happy until I heard how my ringtones had been distorted. I used the stock ringtones (alert swoosh for text, ringer loud for known caller, treo for unknown caller) with WM5 but now on 6 those tones sound HORRIBLE. I'm guessing that the fact they were MID format has something to do with it. Does anyone know where I can find all the sounds and tones for WM6 or the sounds for WM5 in mp3 format because otherwise I'll be going back to 5.
    I'm not having this problem at all. That sounds odd. All of my WM6 sounds are still MIDI and sound just like they did on WM5.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhew85 View Post
    I did the update and was happy until I heard how my ringtones had been distorted.
    No issues here. Both my Treo and ringtones were 100 percent stock when I did the upgrade.

-Frank
    I am playing with voice command over BT with limited results. It accepts me pressing the "call control button" and waits for me to speak but

a) I must speak to the phone (not to my headset)
    b) It replies out of the phone, not out of the headset.

Is this the designed behaviour?
    700wx | WM6 | VZW | Exchange Push
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
    I am playing with voice command over BT with limited results. It accepts me pressing the "call control button" and waits for me to speak but

a) I must speak to the phone (not to my headset)
    b) It replies out of the phone, not out of the headset.

Is this the designed behaviour?

700wx hardware limitation. So yes, by design (bad design that is).
    Yes, that is my boat.
    Thanks mixman, I thought I happened upon that while searching around for a while but was refusing to believe it could be true lol. Thanks again!
    700wx | WM6 | VZW | Exchange Push
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Damn well thats unfortunate I guess I'll have to go back to 5. Thanks for your input.
    Wasn't the WM 6 upgrade supposed to provide for HTML support in Outlook e-mail? Mine looks exactly the same. No graphics at all.