Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I am going on a short cruise this friday. The ship has CDMA roaming on board, so I should be able to use my phone. However, this is the first pda/smartphone I have ever had, and I don't want to come back home to a large bill due to data. I do want to keep the radio on for calls however. I have 2 email accounts on the phone, my work, with exchange activesync, and gmail, thru imap. I have the gmail set to check every 4 hours, and the work email on push during the weekday prime hours, every 4 hours other than that. I also update Pocket Express every 4 hours. Is there one simple way to turn off data access during the trip without totally turning off the radio? Would I have to turn off any automatic checks individually? Has anyone gone on a cruise recently on a ship with roaming, or any other trip really, and used their phone? How is the billing? Any help or advice on this will be greatly appreciated.
    I have used my Sprint 700p with roaming with no extra charge on a Cruise (from Florida). I would check with Sprint to ensure no roaming charges.
    Your bill will show your call originating from where ever the ship is flagged, usually Bermuda. This will be international roaming to sprint. You will be charged about $3.00 per minute. Don't ask me how I know.

Sprint does have some international roaming packages you can temporarily add to your line. Best bet is to call them and ask specifically about the international roaming packages. Don't call and ask the same question you asked here. If you do they will tell you that if you have unlimited roaming on the line it will be free and you have nothing to worry about. Again, dont ask me how I know this. Don't even think about using data from the ships system. I downloaded email twice and my international data roaming charge was over $50.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Every cruise I have been on only had signal reception while docked. Once we pushed away the singal went with the shore....

are you saying they now have CDMA coverage while at sea?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post
    Every cruise I have been on only had signal reception while docked. Once we pushed away the singal went with the shore....

are you saying they now have CDMA coverage while at sea?
    According to Royal Caribbean's website, they have the coverage. I won't know for sure until I get onboard though. My wife has AT&T, which is GSM, so one of us at least will certainly have coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Don't even think about using data from the ships system. I downloaded email twice and my international data roaming charge was over $50.
    So now, back to one of my original questions...how do I stop the data? Is there a simple way to do that, or do I have to find any individual data applications that might try to update during the ship and change their configuration?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE54 View Post
    So now, back to one of my original questions...how do I stop the data? Is there a simple way to do that, or do I have to find any individual data applications that might try to update during the ship and change their configuration?
    Menu->Settings->Phone->Data Settings-> Uncheck box that says "Allow connection to the Internet"

There is also a setting where you can turn off roaming as well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Menu->Settings->Phone->Data Settings-> Uncheck box that says "Allow connection to the Internet"

There is also a setting where you can turn off roaming as well.
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Now, the roaming I would want, if my wife needs to reach me from another area of the ship.

Now, another question I thought of after this. The ship also has wi-fi on board, and I just may want to use that if I do decide to check my email, as, while it wouldn't be free, I believe it would be a reasonable charge. My question then, is, will the phone setting above lock out an internet connection over wi-fi? Or, can I leave that alone once I set it, and just turn wi-fi on when I need it?