Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    30% smaller and 30% larger battery than the 800w. LOVE IT!

Can't believe that Palm decided to go with corn-based ethanol on the Pra instead of cane-based ethanol. Fail.
    Straight from the horse's mouth (if Sprint is a horse), the Treo Pro will be $299.99. The big question at this point, is not, when is it going to be available, but is anyone left interested in it knowing that the Pre will be released at any moment - and probably cost less?
    I don't think the Pre will cost less.

My impression is that Palm will continue their Centro like as a low cost smartphone option, and maintain WM and webOS for their high end smartphones.
    I, for one, am still very much interested in the Sprint Treo Pro despite the Pre's impending release.

Watching the videos, I can't help but think "Diamond 2009". If it turns out to be worthy of the hype, great. As consumers we win and I won't mind spending the money to upgrade again. For now, I just want something that doesn't have so many unanswered questions like battery life, available apps, and whether 8GBs of storage is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Straight from the horse's mouth (if Sprint is a horse), the Treo Pro will be $299.99. The big question at this point, is not, when is it going to be available, but is anyone left interested in it knowing that the Pre will be released at any moment - and probably cost less?
    Good call. I am hearing $300 for the Pro, and $200 to $250 for the Pre, for people with a bit more serous info than speculators.

That makes the most sense anyway. The Pre will recoup with bringing the "big fat middle," as Palm calls the potential buyers, into data, or away from other carriers.
    I'm sure that the Pro will run all of my WM apps when I get it but it remains to be seen what apps the Pre will be able to run. I'm certainly getting the free upgrade to the Pro when it arrives and may or may not get the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I'm sure that the Pro will run all of my WM apps when I get it but it remains to be seen what apps the Pre will be able to run. I'm certainly getting the free upgrade to the Pro when it arrives and may or may not get the Pre.
    The Pre will not run Garnett apps.
    As others have already stated, it seems fairly obvious that these two phones are intended for different types of consumers (and segments of the market) and so I see no reason to suppose that, in the bigger scheme of things, one will actually be competing against the other. There are people who do want (or think they want) both -- myself included, sort of -- but Palm may have simply decided to divide and conquer.

Personally I would opt to blend the functionality and part of the form factor of the Pro into the Pre, because I love many things about it but feel it's lacking things I know I'll get from the Pro, but I also recognize that my requirements are probably somewhat more specialized as compared to those of a wider sample set.
    Last edited by forteanajones; 01/11/2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The Pre will not run Garnett apps.
    We know. We also know that it won't be running WM apps. You see, it runs a different OS called WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    As others have already stated, it seems fairly obvious that these two phones are intended for different types of consumers (and segments of the market) and so I see no reason to suppose that, in the bigger scheme of things, one will actually be competing against the other.
    not totally accurate imo...

for one, Palm and by extension WebOS, has a very nice calendar, contacts and email system. In fact, one could argue that their "synergy" approach to those aforementioned is much superior to anything on the market today. the ability to sync and sort multiple calendars is huuuge for many business people.

going further, the Pre/WebOS does support Exchange, which makes competition with WM a very real prospect, more so than say with RIM (as of today).

the only argument for WM at this point, as far as I can see, would be the software library which IS important for some. however, with the reported ease-of-programming for WebOS and access to the hardware/core properties of the device by developers, that advantage may be short lived. Throw in the revamp of WM7, which will probably break as much compatibility as WM5 did, and the two are now on equal ground (except WebOS has a 9 month head start)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Good call. I am hearing $300 for the Pro, and $200 to $250 for the Pre...
    I thought the latest rumor was Pre = $399 w/contract

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    not totally accurate imo...

for one, Palm and by extension WebOS, has a very nice calendar, contacts and email system. In fact, one could argue that their "synergy" approach to those aforementioned is much superior to anything on the market today. the ability to sync and sort multiple calendars is huuuge for many business people.

going further, the Pre/WebOS does support Exchange, which makes competition with WM a very real prospect, more so than say with RIM (as of today).

the only argument for WM at this point, as far as I can see, would be the software library which IS important for some. however, with the reported ease-of-programming for WebOS and access to the hardware/core properties of the device by developers, that advantage may be short lived. Throw in the revamp of WM7, which will probably break as much compatibility as WM5 did, and the two are now on equal ground (except WebOS has a 9 month head start)
    The software library is largely what I'm talking about in my post above, actually. I just think it will be a while (e.g. probably by the time the successor to the Pre is being talked about) before WebOS apps come up to speed.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    The software library is largely what I'm talking about in my post above, actually. I just think it will be a while (e.g. probably by the time the successor to the Pre is being talked about) before WebOS apps come up to speed.
    Funny how we were on the same page at about the same time. My post here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175485

was made about 45 minutes before yours and talks about exactly that issue, in addition to the 1200mah battery life... which for me, with these other issues in mind, may very well be a deal killer or at least delayer.
    I thought the latest rumor was Pre = $399 w/contract
    $399 after contract is 100% unarttiribute any Palm source. You know hwo these cirucler confirmations occur. People cite it as "engadet reports" or "so and so reports" and you go back and see they are all reporting the same single source guess (not even rumor). $399 It is (mis)reported as attrributed to a Palm official in Europe (lol) and the article at the source is not in fact attributing that to him at all.

I say $199 - $25 after rebates new contract, because that is what I got from a Sprint person I trust. The are not certain because the price appears not to be set, but that is what they say everyone is saying internally. They have also unequivocal that the Pro is on stream for the 25th and I give that high credibilty as well.
    And notably exchange and business oriented pitch was the first out of the box in the unveiling spiel.

On the other hand one could argue that they did that because of their own obviously official and planned portrayal of the "deivce for the big fat middle" and for "fun and perosnal use" while still making different products for serious business may have been carried too far.

Of course audience is important. the latter message (devices for each market segment, pre for the middle, pro for business/enterprise) was and is really aimed at the capital markets and carriers while the former message (pre good for everything: business and personal life) is aimed at the potential customers.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I say $199 - $25 after rebates new contract, because that is what I got from a Sprint person I trust. The are not certain because the price appears not to be set, but that is what they say everyone is saying internally. They have also unequivocal that the Pro is on stream for the 25th and I give that high credibilty as well.
    I'll take all the rumors I can get! and I am talking about the Pro.
    $399 after contract is 100% unarttiribute any Palm source. You know hwo these cirucler confirmations occur. People cite it as "engadet reports" or "so and so reports" and you go back and see they are all reporting the same single source guess (not even rumor). $399 It is (mis)reported as attrributed to a Palm official in Europe (lol) and the article at the source is not in fact attributing that to him at all.

Great news about the Pre and the Pro.
    Insol, I had a similar reaction when I read the post you cited above.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Is this the official date?
    I have somewhat of an issue...

I purchased a Centro on 12/27.
    Exchanged it for an 800w on 1/10.

Well, you are only allowed one "exchange" per the 30 day period.
    However, I can still get a full refund up until 1/26 - and then just purchase the Treo Pro. Not too much if a window for a delay huh?

If it is coming out on 1/25, how come they are not pushing this at all?
    I just called Sprint and they have "not heard anything about them carrying the Treo Pro"

Is this even worth my stress?
    haha.

Thanks.
    I'm not "upgrading".

It's not much of an upgrade by all accounts. Then again, we don't really know a lot about it since there are conflicting reports.

If the 800w works for you, and you like it, then I wouldn't bother with it myself.
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast