Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Anyone heard anything on a release date for the Pro from Sprint?
    The current official unofficial date is January 25, according this WMExperts article.
    Kevin C, be sure to search around first. It's been much the buzz around here.
    If this rumor is true, WOW!

(This is less than 50% of the article. Hope that's not too much. Emphasis has been added.)
    AT&T, Sprint Show Palm Treo Pro Some Love
    By James Alan Miller
    December 16, 2008

Released in September, the Treo Pro is the most-talked (and perhaps the best) Palm smartphone in years—at least until the PDA pioneer introduces the first model to run on its upcoming Nova platform. While you can't buy the Treo Pro directly from a wireless carrier, it looks like a pair of mobile operators, AT&T and Sprint, are warming up to the smartphone.

AT&T recently added the Palm smartphone to its Specialty Vertical Device list. This is a list of devices that the carrier does not stock or offer directly, but have been certified as being compatible with its 3G data network.

It is an important list for businesses and enterprises that are AT&T customers to keep in mind.

In related news, it appears Palm may have finally found a U.S. carrier to offer the Treo Pro directly, Sprint. Reportedly, the smartphone will take the place of the Treo 800w on January 25th.

Although the Treo 800w launched during the summer, not long before the release of the Treo Pro, it hasn't lived up to expectations—mostly due to technical difficulties run into by users. Hence the reason Sprint may be willing to chuck to the side for the sturdier Treo Pro.

Rumor has it Sprint will sell the Treo Pro for about $200 with a service contract.

As a Treo 800w owner, of course the "technical difficulties run into by users" have not been any fun at all. Now seeing the Treo Pro might sell for far less than the 800w when Sprint releases it is a bit of a jolt. I don't blame Sprint one bit for what they are doing, but can't help but feel a bit burned if the Treo Pro goes for so cheap. And I guess some US Treo Pro owners who paid over $500 might be a little surprised by the news also.
    This is what I would expect. Generally fo each year of a contract the carrier will give you a $100 subsidy. Then you factor in the customizations on the ROM that do their best to cause you to utilize various carrier fee based services along with the fact that Sprint will provide customer support instead of Palm this pricing makes sense. I am pretty sure most people could buy an unlocked Pro today for about $450 with free shipping (lots of 20-25% discounts out there now) so this makes sense.

Carriers make the subsidy back big time as they now have you commited for 2 yrs.
    I prefer to pay $500 for my Treo Pro and not be on a contract, how better can it get than that!
    $200 phone + $200 ETF (probably less at time of account termination) still works out better than $500 for the phone.
    when the 800w came out I don't think we had wm6.1 with keyboard, with wifi, gps, rev-a etc. With the touch pro out there downward pricing pressures are stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    All differ from GSM to CDMA conversions, so throwing out "30 percent bigger..." when we don't know the specs on the CDMA version is premature.
    I agree that is true, but in handsets I have seen with a cdma coming out a few months after GSM they usually are not bigger. It is possible but I wonder how likely.

I would say it is my understanding that things like casing are the last thing done and most easily changed, so I do think the chances or a repeat of the casing cracks will be lessened. Of course they may fix this by making the casing (and phone) thicker!

We don't even know for certain if the CDMA version will have standalone GPS!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post
    Maybe the other carriers are worse than I think and I will be back on Verizon, but my wife is on AT&T and she has no major complaints.
    ATT like BB, is good with OPM ("other people's money" ie corporate accounts). Verizon also costs more than Sprint. I think Malatresta has used the term "walled garden" for what Verizon does with some of its phones as well, where it limits or kills certain inherent utility so that users have to pay extra fees.

On price Sprint is an unbeatable provider for small business, self paying power users, families etc.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey darnell, my name is BJ DeHut and I am a representative for Sprint. I just commented on James’ article a few minutes ago. I wanted to thank you as well for spreading the news about the Treo Pro. We are very excited about the release of this phone as it will be one of our best smartphones available. Thanks for increasing the awareness!
    you work for sprint, and that is your real name and you are confirming it on public forum? Where I work that would get you fired -- and subject to civil action. If you do work for sprint you either are hesse himself or someone who hasn't read their employee manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    you work for sprint, and that is your real name and you are confirming it on public forum? Where I work that would get you fired -- and subject to civil action. If you do work for sprint you either are hesse himself or someone who hasn't read their employee manual.
    he is persistent, that's for sure

also
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/profile/2305288/

New Sprint direct-action approach?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    FWIW, BJ DeHut has mentioned a Sprint.com e-mail account they say is theirs. Can't say I've tried e-mailing it to confirm, but I guess someone can and let us know the results. (Sure would make for a nice news article if someone doing reports that cover Sprint looked into this. Might as well get to the bottom of it.)

Perhaps it is a new move for Sprint. Can't say I find it to be a bad thing if so. Perhaps it is some Sprint employee acting without authorization, that would be sad. Perhaps it's just some guy.

Well maybe someone will try the e-mail account and look into it.
    It's viral marketing.

http://m80im.com/

As far as doing a story, as much as I like Sprint I'm not sure giving them free publicity (without anything substantive for the consumer) is a good idea. It's that whole being used thing...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    He also registered & posted the same thing on a Wireless Forum that I moderate & then vanished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's viral marketing.

http://m80im.com/

As far as doing a story, as much as I like Sprint I'm not sure giving them free publicity (without anything substantive for the consumer) is a good idea. It's that whole being used thing...
    Yeah, good call, I see now he works for an astroturfing/floging/viral outfit. They target forums and blogs.

I guess what strikes me from Google is he clearly says he will be happy to help people with sprint problems, provides an email address and people get no answer. So it is designed to make subsequent readers think Sprint cares but with no meat on the bone. Ultimately the message is patronizing and a bit creepy.

You can see it backfires in other ways:
    http://androidguys.com/?p=917
    (so much for the claim Sprint was not actively flogging Instinct as the "iPhone killer")
    Perhaps TC should consider BJ DeHut a sort of Spammer? Marketing here for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Perhaps TC should consider BJ DeHut a sort of Spammer? Marketing here for Sprint.
    Hey, I'd love to have reps from all the carriers here answering posts and telling their own stories. How many threads do we have of just rumors? The only thing is, if someone identifies himself or herself as a representative of a carrier as BJ DeHut does, TC should somehow be able to verify it, or remove the posts.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Hey, I'd love to have reps from all the carriers here answering posts and telling their own stories. How many threads do we have of just rumors? The only thing is, if someone identifies himself or herself as a representative of a carrier as BJ DeHut does, TC should somehow be able to verify it, or remove the posts.
    See my earlier comment, if BJ DeHut was not a marketing firm man I was all for Sprint having a rep on the site to answer questions and such. But BJ DeHut has been identified as nothing but a drive by marketing person with a marketing firm. That does not do the board any good. It's drive by PRPRPR, $that$ $is$ $UNPAID$ $ADVERTISING$.

Having an unpaid advertiser running around here just because they come in the name of Sprint does a disservice to all who ever pay for TC ad space.
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast