Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Some don't like the keyboard on the Pro (same as the Centro).
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Not true. It's larger than the keyboard on the Centro.
    It is true. The only bit that's not true is 'same as the Centro'.
    That's interesting to note, but not in any way significant or better. It's a digital zoom, not optical. You can do that in software after the shot; but more importantly, digital zooming destroys your pictures, so why would you want to use it in the first place -- especially at 8x?
    The only case would be when you want to take a picture without having to crop it.

I've found it useful when taking a picture directly from a MMS message. 2x is useful on the 800w, I've found a handful of times when 4x would have been nice to have. I've never needed more than that.

Not true. It's larger than the keyboard on the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Some don't like the keyboard on the Pro (same as the Centro).

It is true. The only bit that's not true is 'same as the Centro'.
    I've heard lots of feedback from folks, even Pro fanboys, that the 800w's keyboard is superior.

It's probably something that the majority of people can live with, it's not really a huge difference (like say going from a front facing to a slider). But the general consensus that I've see is that the 800w's is better. *shrug*
    If Palm offered an 8x digital zoom camera update for the 800w, I suspect myself and a sizable number of other people would install it. Regardless of how small a benefit it is, it's still a benefit in my opinion. I don't use digital zoom very often, but I'd rather have more to decide for myself when I'd like to use it than not having more at all.

Seems Palm could add it to an 800w update if they wanted.
    I know that I'd gladly trade a slightly larger keyboard for fully-working GPS, 30% larger battery, 30% smaller form factor, 3.5mm headset jack, better LCD and better camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If Palm offered an 8x digital zoom camera update for the 800w, I suspect myself and a sizable number of other people would install it. Regardless of how small a benefit it is, it's still a benefit in my opinion. I don't use digital zoom very often, but I'd rather have more to decide for myself when I'd like to use it than not having more at all.

Seems Palm could add it to an 800w update if they wanted.
    I probably wouldn't install it, but I'd have it on my SD card ready to be installed should the day come I ever need it.

But then again, I have some *REALLY* obscure stuff on there "just in case". You should see what it's like when I pack for a trip. Heck, just the "emergency" kit I keep with me in my truck I could do minor surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I know that I'd gladly trade a slightly larger keyboard for fully-working GPS, 30% larger battery, 30% smaller form factor, 3.5mm headset jack, better LCD and better camera.

Well....

fully working gps: there's still odd lag on the treo pro and it only seems to get 'fixed' by opening certain programs like Google Maps.

Larger battery: good point. But the 800w has OS-level battery optimization that I covet for the Treo Pro

30% smaller form factor: granted. On the other hand, just that vs. keyboard size is definitely a user choice / tradeoff sort of thing

3.5 mm headset jack: a must, yes.

better lcd: the treo pro is flush, sure, but the LCD is not as bright or crisp as the 800w.

better camera: Are you kidding? The camera on the Treo Pro is barely acceptable on a bright, sunny, beautiful day. Any other time it's crap.
    Pushed back to January 25th.

$549
    + 2mp camera; replaces 800w.

No other details/specs

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sp...g_in_jaun.html

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well Malatesta, the Sprint Treo Pro story has been one you've had covered better than most. Even getting some of the scoop before some others. Good job.

So when the term "replaces" is used regarding the 800w, does this mean Sprint is no longer going to sell 800w's?

And "HTCs lower-cost production system", would that happen to feature workers who it might be said are in "sweat shop" working conditions? If yes, were conditions for those making Palm devices before the Treo Pro any better off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Well....

fully working gps: there's still odd lag on the treo pro and it only seems to get 'fixed' by opening certain programs like Google Maps.

Larger battery: good point. But the 800w has OS-level battery optimization that I covet for the Treo Pro

30% smaller form factor: granted. On the other hand, just that vs. keyboard size is definitely a user choice / tradeoff sort of thing

3.5 mm headset jack: a must, yes.

better lcd: the treo pro is flush, sure, but the LCD is not as bright or crisp as the 800w.

better camera: Are you kidding? The camera on the Treo Pro is barely acceptable on a bright, sunny, beautiful day. Any other time it's crap.
    You don't have a Sprint Treo Pro. You might want to reserve judgement until you have something to back up your opinions. Comparing a GSM phone to its CDMA counterpart is never wise.

So when the term "replaces" is used regarding the 800w, does this mean Sprint is no longer going to sell 800w's?
    Tough to say. They may sell it until stock runs out, which could be a few months or may just pull it completely from their lineup on the 25th. Or maybe a combo: not in stores, still online. Interestingly, the 800w has not been EOL'd yet.

Refurbs/replacements will be in stock for awhile though.
    And "HTCs lower-cost production system", would that happen to feature workers who it might be said are in "sweat shop" working conditions? If yes, were conditions for those making Palm devices before the Treo Pro any better off?
    Just means HTC was making devices for a long time and have their own built in channels for reducing expenditures (buying in bulk) and controlling production costs--as opposed to outsourcing it like some other companies.

HTC nailed all of that years ago before they went public.
    You don't have a Sprint Treo Pro. You might want to reserve judgement until you have something to back up your opinions. Comparing a GSM phone to its CDMA counterpart is never wise.

What is this comparing then if not the GSM Treo Pro and CDMA 800w?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/14/2008 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

What is this comparing then if not the GSM Treo Pro and CDMA 800w?
    You see, this thread is about the Sprint Treo Pro. Sprint uses CDMA technology, not GSM. While the hardware is very similar, the software is usually quite different between them. The OS and the radio firmware will be different. Trust me.

My post spoke directly to hardware while other posts were trying to speak to GPS lag, OS-level optimizations not found on the GSM version, etc.
    Well, it has been my understanding that
    • Device dimensions
    • Battery size
    • Battery capacity

All differ from GSM to CDMA conversions, so throwing out "30 percent bigger..." when we don't know the specs on the CDMA version is premature.

Furthermore, Dieter said the hardware screen and hardware camera are not that great on the GSM version, so that is also sticking with the speaking "directly to hardware" bit.

Either way, this is all just guessing on all our parts based on the closest thing we have: GSM Treo Pro.

Lets just wait for the actual specs to come out and reviews.

OK, this discussion is tabled till 1/25/2009, are we all agreed?

(Hey, I figured I'd at least try .)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    OK, so now there is an updated "official date" for Sprint (with a reference of "Verizon to follow....", what do we think this means in terms of an actual date for Verizon? Any intel on this? Are we looking at another 6 months after the Sprint date or is there hope for something sooner?

Thanks!

-- a long suffering Verizon 650 user STILL waiting for a Treo to upgrade to (and very close to jumping ship to another carrier).
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post
    OK, so now there is an updated "official date" for Sprint (with a reference of "Verizon to follow....", what do we think this means in terms of an actual date for Verizon? Any intel on this? Are we looking at another 6 months after the Sprint date or is there hope for something sooner?

Thanks!

-- a long suffering Verizon 650 user STILL waiting for a Treo to upgrade to (and very close to jumping ship to another carrier).
    Given that Verizon hated the 800w and refused to sell it, I'd guess that they release their version of the Treo Pro relatively quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post

Thanks!

Verizon is traditionally behind Sprint in picking up new devices.

Unfortunately there has be no announcements by Verizon to carry a new Treo. They had the opportunity to have the 800w in Q4 2007 (a full year ago now) and instead chose to release a (poorly done) WM6 update for the 700wx.

Considering Verizon's huge focus on their Blackberry Storm and some other phones (such as the Dare), and the fact that we've seen nearly zilch in the way of advertising for any WM phones, I would not be holding my breath on them picking up any new WM phones now that they have their version of the Touch Pro. It would not surprise me if they did not pick up the Treo Pro anytime soon (or even at all).

As they have a huge push for the BB Storm as their WM killer (and specifically Treo's, since they are similar form factors), Verizon may choose not to carry anything that would take sales away from the BB Storm.

Considering Sprint will be carrying the Treo Pro (theoretically) in just about a month, the lack of news from Verizon isn't exactly encouraging.
    Verizon just picked up a "Treo Killer" called the Samsung Saga (i770)--it does not look likely for a Verizon Treo Pro at this point (redundancy) and there is no information suggesting they will get it either.

Of course that could change, but until any information comes forth, it is best to assume they won't get it.

I think Verizon is kind of done with Palm.

Looking at their advertising, they're done with WM in general....
    Verizon just picked up a "Treo Killer" called the Samsung Saga (i770)--it does not look likely for a Verizon Treo Pro at this point (redundancy) and there is no information suggesting they will get it either.

Of course that could change, but until any information comes forth, it is best to assume they won't get it.

This breaks my heart. I just returned my Saga after 3 weeks and reverted to my 700w (not wx, the original memory-crippled one). The Saga had some nice aspects, but I like the 700w much better, mainly because of the palm tweaks to the dialer/address book. The treo is just easier to use, and, surprisingly, snappier. I can't believe that VZW can't throw us Palm/WM loyalists some sort of bone. Not everyone has a Blackberry Enterprise Server at work. Look what Exchange Activesync has done for the iphone. Hello Verizon?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Well, I think this may unfortunately mean that I am kind of done with Verizon.

I have had AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon as I have progressed through the generations of Treos, and Verizon has been by far the best, but I think the other have narrowed the gap and I am starting to think my preference for Treos is going to win out over my preference for Verizon.

We'll see....I have been waiting for 1+ years to move off my Treo 650, always thinking something was around the corner. However, I think I have reached the end of my rope and want/need to get a new device over the holidays.

Maybe the other carriers are worse than I think and I will be back on Verizon, but my wife is on AT&T and she has no major complaints.
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast