Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well both Sprint and Palm are promoting the Pre as "coming soon". I see the ads on both their websites all the time. It's not beyond the trade shows, but they do promote it. And even at CES they had floor displays for people to use. The true vaporware that shows up at CES is only handled on stage by the person giving the presentation and they don't dare let any regular person touch it.

It's kind of like gelware at this point. Beyond vapor, coming together, but not yet solid.
    Gelware is good.

Maybe he's being deliberately vague, but Hesse says when asked about some kind of release date: "We haven’t announced that. The plan of both companies is to have it on the market in the first half of the year. Obviously when you’re bringing out a new device with this level of sophistication and functionality there’s a lot of work required. The guys at Palm are working 24/7 and we’re working 24/7 to bring it out as soon as we can, but we’re not going to bring it out until we’re really confident that the launch is going to be really successful in terms of how it operates. Of course to be able to produce the devices we want to make sure that there’s enough. Clearly it’s going to be a device that’s going to be in high demand and it is going to be in shortage no matter when we launch it, but we don’t want it to be too early where there’s only a handful of Pres in the whole country. We want to make sure that we can also have production ramped up at a reasonable level before we launch the product. There are a lot of variables that go into when we’re going to launch it. But both Sprint and Palm are very focused on launching as soon as we can and our target is to launch in the first half. There are also no price details yet."

Honestly, this makes it sound like it's not ready for primetime or even close to ready.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Darnell, I used IE6 for about... 5 minutes before I put Opera on. I never even bothered with it.

Berd, lol, keep in mind one thing here: Other than a month of limited playtime with the Pro, I have NO CLUE (OK, a general idea) how WinMo works, I'm a blackberry guy, I'm still stumbling through the advanced stuff. I'm here to learn, simple as that.

But yeah, I'll be getting a "new" Treo pro, direct from Palm. Interesting article regarding the IE6/memory issue here:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...ned-its-built/
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How did Alltell stole Sprint thunder and get to the Pro first?

I wonder if Sprint is mad about this.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Gelware is good.

Maybe he's being deliberately vague, but Hesse says when asked about some kind of release date: "We haven’t announced that. The plan of both companies is to have it on the market in the first half of the year. Obviously when you’re bringing out a new device with this level of sophistication and functionality there’s a lot of work required. The guys at Palm are working 24/7 and we’re working 24/7 to bring it out as soon as we can, but we’re not going to bring it out until we’re really confident that the launch is going to be really successful in terms of how it operates. Of course to be able to produce the devices we want to make sure that there’s enough. Clearly it’s going to be a device that’s going to be in high demand and it is going to be in shortage no matter when we launch it, but we don’t want it to be too early where there’s only a handful of Pres in the whole country. We want to make sure that we can also have production ramped up at a reasonable level before we launch the product. There are a lot of variables that go into when we’re going to launch it. But both Sprint and Palm are very focused on launching as soon as we can and our target is to launch in the first half. There are also no price details yet."

Honestly, this makes it sound like it's not ready for primetime or even close to ready.
    That statement from Hesse bolsters the statement someone claiming to be an insider made when they posted on a web site (via blog comment), that the Pre stock is only about a couple hundred and they're still working to mass produce enough to actually sell.
    Not that it matters much at this point, but it was one of the initial hints the Treo Pro was coming to Sprint. The mobile device "Sprint Store" now has a "Palm Treo Pro" option in the drop down list again.

Been a while since we saw that .
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Anyone knows if Sprint will have it on sale on their website after midnight on 3/15?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I spoke to a fellow in Account Services today. After finishing with the main reason for my call, I asked if he knew when the Treo Pro will be available. He said it could be ordered from Sprint on 3/15 (he didn't specify Telesales and/or website orders). I also asked about the price. He said full retail (no subsidy) will be $595.99. He said the new customer/2 yr. upgrade price will be $249.99, with a $100 rebate, bringing it down to $149.99. I don't know if he had the right numbers or not, but usually Account Services reps are the most knowledgeable CSRs of them all in the Sprint universe.
    it's $549 full price, $199 after rebates and a 2 year agreement/upgrade.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    $199 instant rebate with 2 yr upgrade.

So $349?

Then another $100 mail in rebate if you sign up for plan higher than current?
    I am not following your math chong
    It's a $100 mail in rebate, Chong.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    The last time in Jan when I order the Pro on Sprint website:

$549 minus instant $200 if you sign a 2 yr contract, then another $100 mail in rebate if you do a plan higher than your current, hence down to $249.

Someone said only $75 off if you have 7 month left in your contract.
    I am understanding the final price to be $199 after instant savings and 2 yr contract and upgrade...why are you saying $249?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Oh, must have been confused. Sorry.
    Chong, the cheapest you'll get the phone from sprint, outside of retentions, will be $199. That's either as a new customer OR with your 2 year upgrade. That's AFTER the $100 mail in rebate.

HOWEVER, sometimes sprint gives an extra $50 instantly for new lines of service, so it's possible to get it for $150 direct from Sprint or a Sprint corporate store.

By the way, I'll be getting my Pro around the 12th, I get the tracking number tomorrow, not sure how long the shipping will take.

My first thing to do will be to TRY to get Manila2D with RealVGA running, if anyone has any advice. It was a complete unworkable mess the last few times I tried back in january, maybe there were updates that got it working with the Pro since then? If that fails, I guess I'll get SPB mobile shell 2.1 and wait for the free 3.0 upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post

My first thing to do will be to TRY to get Manila2D with RealVGA running, if anyone has any advice. It was a complete unworkable mess the last few times I tried back in january, maybe there were updates that got it working with the Pro since then? If that fails, I guess I'll get SPB mobile shell 2.1 and wait for the free 3.0 upgrade.
    Someone made a post over at XDA-developers detailing how they got TF2D working on the GSM Treo Pro. They didn't mention trying anything like RealVGA with it though.
    As I am fairly new here....entropism...why are you getting a Pro before the rest of us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    As I am fairly new here....entropism...why are you getting a Pro before the rest of us?
    Because he works for Sprint .
    Sprint stores also have started getting them in and the phones are in Sprint's system (see Sprintusers and BGR).

No reason why you can't sweat talk your local Sprint store into selling you one now, if that's your thing.