Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    Well, the Pros are a bit delayed as we all know (was told a manufacturing delay by someone very in the know, but probably under an NDA), from what I've heard it's NOT to fix the memory issue.

I had to give back my Pro a few weeks ago, but I should have another coming close to launch. No, it wasn't recalled to fix any issues, it was a store thing in my case.

As for the exact launch date, I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I hear anything I'm able to release to the public. Anything else, I'll hint at heavily.
    Thanks! We appreciate your information!
    Well, the Pros are a bit delayed as we all know (was told a manufacturing delay by someone very in the know, but probably under an NDA), from what I've heard it's NOT to fix the memory issue.

I had to give back my Pro a few weeks ago, but I should have another coming close to launch. No, it wasn't recalled to fix any issues, it was a store thing in my case.

As for the exact launch date, I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I hear anything I'm able to release to the public. Anything else, I'll hint at heavily.
    Entropism,
    darn. on fix this is really the opposite of what a person who should be excellent source told me.

Now start "hinting heavily," it has been five hours since your post and that is along time!

Anyway, thank you.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I went to a Spring store just now and ask for a demo of Pro.

He has no idea. He didnt even know it came out few weeks ago and there was a recall.

So its mostly a miss than a hit thang.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well of course it's better to delay and release a product right. Almost always, at least.
    It may seem like it to you as a user but from a business perspective that is almost never done, it is much better to get the product on the market and fix things as you go along. No company would delay a product launch for something as trivial as the low free memory that has been reported but if there was another product halting reason to delay the schedule it makes sense to take advantage of the extra time.

I'm just not sure I'd attribute Palm to having two separate dev teams and covering up the "real" issue that caused the recall. There simply isn't enough time for that sort of cloak and dagger, nor would it benefit Palm to do so.
    HTC is doing the work not Palm and HTC has many teams focused on different areas, the people that are coding the low level drivers are not the same people working on PIE integration. Because HTC releases so many devices each year they do not stop developing just because one ships and any enhancements that are made in the interim can be incorporated if the schedule is changed. The team doing the cloak and dagger work is marketing and they are always looking for ways to minimize bad PRPRPR $because$ $that$ $does$ $benefit$ $the$ $company$.

Any way you cut this, it's a black eye to Palm.
    It turns out this type of thing ends up being a bigger black eye on HTC than Palm because other than a few people on forums like this one the only people who know the product has even been delayed are Sprint and they are well aware of who actually made the phone. But it all depends on what ends up being the real reason for the delay because if HTC can point to another company like a battery manufacturer or board house then the long term damage to the company name will be minimal.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    It is funny that HTC and electronic things is Taiwan. Software thing is India.

USA is great with smart weapons.

I'll rather have M1A1 and F117A vs HTC phones.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    No company would delay a product launch for something as trivial as the low free memory that has been reported but if there was another product halting reason to delay the schedule it makes sense to take advantage of the extra time.
    What information we have mentions the space issue. (Some earlier comments in this same thread list sources.) Perhaps more than that was fixed, but all roads lead to the main reason for the recall being the low program memory. Given that issue, we don't know how adverse an impact that may have had on the device's stability over time. Typically low program memory results in some problems. The Treo Pro for Sprint is replacing a device that already has been getting less than rave reviews, the 800w. So Palm and Sprint want to get this one right.

It turns out this type of thing ends up being a bigger black eye on HTC than Palm because other than a few people on forums like this one the only people who know the product has even been delayed are Sprint and they are well aware of who actually made the phone. But it all depends on what ends up being the real reason for the delay because if HTC can point to another company like a battery manufacturer or board house then the long term damage to the company name will be minimal.
    It's a bigger black eye for Palm and maybe Sprint than HTC. Because Palm and Sprint need the money more. (Palm in sales and Sprint in service contracts.) HTC is in great fiscal shape, while Palm and Sprint are not. The general public knows about this, because sales people were selling the device before the recall. Sprint was taking orders and Best Buy stores were actually letting people walk out the door with the recalled models in their hands. Sprint has issued refunds plus $50 credits for the orders they've canceled and only those who ordered with Sprint are getting that credit, so it's only a credit Sprint is funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff248 View Post
    Page 61 of the the February 16 edition of Forbes has a fill page ad for the Treo Pro on Sprint with a $249 price after $100 MIR and 2 year agreement. Ad is entitled "The smartphone for smartpeople"
    Here's another that was found in the 2/21 issue of The Economist.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    What information we have mentions the space issue. (Some earlier comments in this same thread list sources.) Perhaps more than that was fixed, but all roads lead to the main reason for the recall being the low program memory.
    That is why I mentioned that it is all about marketing, what we know about the issue is only what they want us to know. I am not here to convince anyone just pointing out my experience in dealing with consumer electronic product launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Entropism,
    darn. on fix this is really the opposite of what a person who should be excellent source told me.

Now start "hinting heavily," it has been five hours since your post and that is along time!

Anyway, thank you.
    I don't think he's saying the Sprint Treo Pro's weren't recalled for a fix. I think he was just saying the reason his had was a store thing. He mentioned something about this earlier.
    Maybe he will post back and clarify.
    Oh wait,
    I see what you mean now.

He said he understands the Stp fix isn't memory related.
    hmm.

Sorry, reading from my treo.
    No, I said that the person in the know that I spoke to said it WASN'T delayed due to a memory fix, it was a manufacturing delay. I also mentioned that you should keep in mind, they're under an NDA, so take that info with a grain of salt.
    No, I said that the person in the know that I spoke to said it WASN'T delayed due to a memory fix, it was a manufacturing delay. I also mentioned that you should keep in mind, they're under an NDA, so take that info with a grain of salt.
    I guess what seems strange is that every single tech blog and site has pointed out the 20mb remaining. I woudl seriously expect to see Palm and Sprint people addressing that with some kind of spin that 20mb is adequate if it is only a production delay.

A standard production delay is usually due usually to availability problems in supply chain. If Best Buy got 1900 in around the 15 to 19th Jan it doesn't make sense that that would be even 10% of shipped from Taiwan (more like 1%), but surely not 100% unless there were some kind of wharehouse fire where the rest were being stored

The potential blowback from pretty much claiming there was a problem with the device found in "testing", the leaks from HTC which Mal took seriously, other leaks he reported from sources he considers serious, and then finding no changes made would be problematic.

We have:

• the leading website on Treos saying 20mb is inadequate on the Pro CDMA as the result of testing the Best Buy premature release version
    • a sister device in the GSM with way more than 20mb.
    • Bestbuy having 1900 which seems to be a fraction of a shipmen
    • The pre release being pulled from best buy
    • A public statement from Palm saying testing is incomplete, which almost all of us would read as a problem was found in testing
    • Sober publications reporting HTC is workign on memory issues
    • Print adverts being run in publications
    • the device offered for sale by Sprint on 22 Jan and canceled

The latter data could be consistent with availability or memory fix. But the former, the upper points are not consistent with a maker delay only. They are not just inconsistent, they represent a large amount of negative PRPRPR $that$ $I$ $just$ $can$'$t$ $believe$ $that$ $Sprint$, $Palm$ $or$ $HTC$ $would$ $not$ $counter$ $in$ $some$ $way$ $while$ $they$ $hung$ $out$ $there$ $for$ $weeks$. $Otherwise$ $the$ $story$ $could$ $be$ $delayed$ $and$ $not$ $fixed$.

It does involve the slight possibility that the memory fix has to be on the hardware side after trying it on the software side but that would be a whopper screwup.
    Several appear to be running.

thanks for the article it does point to this new page:
    Sprint | Palm Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How do you get to that page?

It comes from which link?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    How do you get to that page?

It comes from which link?
    Lol, I sent an email to customer care last week asking about the Pro. So the reply said they could find nothing on their system. so wrote back saying ok go sprint.com, type in Treo Pro and you will see twenty support documents specific to the Treo Pro -- including the manual. (we all saw them from the search bar there)

Well the next day I got a reply saying they couldn't find it and giving me that url.

So what they did was take down the links to the support docs from the general sprint search bar and make that page instead: ie "Pro, what Pro, I see no Pro, you imagined it"

Waiting for Pro, as entertaining, and absurd, as the best of samuel beckett!
    Has it been confirmed that they are working on the RAM issue?

Just trying to understand why there is a delay to begin with.

Mal, how is your Treo Pro working out?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Lol, I sent an email to customer care last week asking about the Pro. So the reply said they could find nothing on their system. so wrote back saying ok go sprint.com, type in Treo Pro and you will see twenty support documents specific to the Treo Pro -- including the manual. (we all saw them from the search bar there)

Well the next day I got a reply saying they couldn't find it and giving me that url.

So what they did was take down the links to the support docs from the general sprint search bar and make that page instead: ie "Pro, what Pro, I see no Pro, you imagined it"

Waiting for Pro, as entertaining, and absurd, as the best of samuel beckett!
    WOW. I really have no reponse except "WOW".
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    Actually, the info is still there just harder to find
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Has it been confirmed that they are working on the RAM issue?

Just trying to understand why there is a delay to begin with.

Mal, how is your Treo Pro working out?
    It's probably related to what Sprint says: testing/certification, lending credence to the RAM issue. That's my bet. You don't basically ship out and launch a device then pull it at the last second due to supply issues...those you can see weeks ahead of release (unless there was a factory fire or something, but we would have heard about that). You pull devices at launch because of a device problem.

As far as my device, well it goes back to Best Buy this week (30 days are up). Will I buy one when it finally comes out? Probably not, unless I can get it for $249 or less.

It's a great phone. Volume is loud and clear (same with rear speaker--very loud), screen is crisp and sharp and standby-battery is top-notch (in use, it burns through the battery at 528mhz like any WM device would). Speed is "eh" as it changes between very good to laggy at times. The 800w as more consistent in device speed/performance and I blame Qualcomm's dual CPU for that difference.

While I don't mind the feel of the KB at all (I like the Centro's too) I find I miss a lot of letters when typing on it. I dunno if I'm not pressing hard enough or it has a slight KB delay, but I have tons of typos, more than on the 800w. In fact, when I get an SMS I always miss the 1st letter because I assume there is a lag between when it shows up on screen and it registers a KB command.

I also hate the buttons (quad buttons, side volume, wifi, power, etc.). They're too flush to actually push with your finger tips and usually require your nail. I accidentally turn on wifi all the time on a phone call b./c it's where my thumb base rests against.

Being an actual fan of Mobile IE5 (for mobile sites) I positively loathe IE6. No single column, rearranging of functions, doesn't "Stop" loading when I request, etc. It still chokes on large sites, where it'll just sit at say 340kb for like a minute before it finishes. Just terrible and nothing to do with the RAM either. That's not Palm's fault per se, but it's just not a selling point.

GPS is standalone as advertised, but it sometimes takes 2-3 mins for a cold start outside. Yet other times I've had it work completely indoors just fine, which was surprising. So its inconsistent for me. Same with signal--while call reception is great, it switches to 1x data more often than my 800w.

Having said all of that, most of my criticisms are personal preferences. It is a very good device, but I still wish they had combined the 800w and Treo Pro as they Pro fixes the 800w's cons very well, but it takes none of the 800w's strengths either (e.g. keyboard, paint, speed, OS tweaks, keyguard, buttons) Frustrating.

Obviously the RAM thing stinks and makes performance kinda weak but I'm assuming that'll be fixed so I won't comment further on it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thanks for the mini review. Most of that does seem to be preference other than the RAM issue. Since you don't really like it that means I would probably love it. Now I must check it out. I was hoping you would like it.

I will check it out when sometime in the future its released. The Touch Pro 2 will probably be released first at this point. My Touch Pro has been so solid I highly doubt I can give it up.
    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 02/22/2009 at 06:19 PM.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Per Engadget, the Sprint Treo Pro shows up in March Best Buy Mobile ad for $249 on contract. Interestingly, it's called the Sprint Palm Pro.

Palm "Pro" shows up in March Best Buy Mobile ad for $249 - Engadget