Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
    good news!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The speed and precision required to turn around hundreds of thousands of devices so quickly just has to be amazing. There are probably people in China (the Taiwan part ) who lose their jobs just for pulling smart phones out of boxes too slow !
    They can do it here. If the OS wasn't recognizing the chips, the work could have been done on the OS and a rom flash can be done here for the ones that are here already.

My info which I related to Mal some time ago was that it was a problem with the OS).

mal has heard that: "Windows Mobile has problems recognizing this extra amount of memory so it is physically there, just not being seen by the system. "

At least I found one ADS person a few weeks ago who had the story right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sp33d_Dialz View Post
    Does anyone think this is the shipments of "pre's" people kept rumoring about earlier. Instead of the PRE we have the... PRO? Personally I'm stoked either way
    mustve missed that one, what shipment of Pre's?

Also does anyone else find this ridiculous? How do you just "miss" 128mb of RAM? Had no one in Palm nor sprint used the phone up until the 2nd week in January? I mean I get there are some things sometimes that get overlooked, but honestly no one looked and said "hmm crap whys it only showing 128mb total with 40 free?"

Really hard to grasp if these things are supposedly put through "rigorous testing"
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    Also does anyone else find this ridiculous? How do you just "miss" 128mb of RAM?
    It is all in the marketing. Imagine you find a serious problem late in the game so you have to keep slipping your schedule and at the same time some handsets slip out and a bit of stink starts brewing about available memory. You have one team of engineers working hard to fix the first problem but if you assign other engineers to free up some memory you can avoid having to admit the bug publicly and instead play up the additional available memory. This saves face with the general public and even makes you look better to the enthusiasts because you were willing to hold off shipment to ensure customer satisfaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    It is all in the marketing. Imagine you find a serious problem late in the game so you have to keep slipping your schedule and at the same time some handsets slip out and a bit of stink starts brewing about available memory. You have one team of engineers working hard to fix the first problem but if you assign other engineers to free up some memory you can avoid having to admit the bug publicly and instead play up the additional available memory. This saves face with the general public and even makes you look better to the enthusiasts because you were willing to hold off shipment to ensure customer satisfaction.
    I hope you're being facetious.
    I didn't think I was but who knows. If you find yourself in a bad situation you have to make the best of it. I could either suffer a delay to the product and release it with the exact same features or I could use the additional time to make a few enhancements and then release a better product which makes the delay more bearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitf View Post
    I didn't think I was but who knows. If you find yourself in a bad situation you have to make the best of it. I could either suffer a delay to the product and release it with the exact same features or I could use the additional time to make a few enhancements and then release a better product which makes the delay more bearable.
    Well of course it's better to delay and release a product right. Almost always, at least.

I'm just not sure I'd attribute Palm to having two separate dev teams and covering up the "real" issue that caused the recall. There simply isn't enough time for that sort of cloak and dagger, nor would it benefit Palm to do so.

Any way you cut this, it's a black eye to Palm. This sort of thing does happen, but it's very costly to Sprint and Palm (and who do you think Sprint is going to pass their costs on to?). This is going to deeply cut into their profit margins, which is already likely very slim on the Pro as HTC handled the hardware and software development (the Pro--both CDMA and GSM--is essentially a Palm branded HTC phone).

Now Palm may be able to push some of that cost back on HTC, but it's really a lose, lose, lose, lose situations, as all three companies won't recoup their costs in this, and the customer is ultimately the one who suffers.

Ah, well, I guess it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, yes?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Just couldn't take the BS w/Sprint & Plam about the Treo Pro anymore, I am done w/Sprint and have used the exit strategy about the "administrative Fees" where it voids your exisiting contract and guess what: NO ETF's if you cancel...
    I did & will be on the crackberry boards as I am now w/AT&T and have the BlackBerry Bold, a proven, reliable phone w/ plenty memory+RAM ...
    I will miss it here, I loved the posts,etc... Oh well, I know I am glad I gave them both the boot so....
    Arivederci all!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chibull17 View Post
    Just couldn't take the BS w/Sprint & Plam about the Treo Pro anymore
    With time and, possibly, professional counseling, you'll get over it. Ciao.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    With time and, possibly, professional counseling, you'll get over it. Ciao.
    "HAVE A NICE DAY" fkgay!!!!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ok, so I've been reading a lot of threads, but I'm confused as hell now. I made the mistake of doing a lot of research on the phones about the time of the release of the 800w. I figured it had everything I needed w/o checking again (doah!) and i bought two about two weeks. THEN i find out there is no way to output the audio through a cable. One of the duties of my phone is a music for when I run sound for bands, so this was important to me. Then I find out about all the other issues, so basically I learned my lesson to re-do my research. so I have two weeks in my 30 day replacement window to change. I want the pro.

So we're back to this device releasing tomorrow 2/15?

do any of the stores reserve these, or am I better off calling sprint to start the swap?

<sigh>
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Okay, so now it appears a possible fixed TP are making their way to stores. My local BB is still planning to sell TP on 2/15...already confirmed today.

My guess is they would still have the original version. I wonder what that means for that version as far as getting the memory fix?
    You know,
    That may be a Really Really Huge possibility.
    Does anyone know if BB ever wised up and sent their stock back?
    It's almost like people shouldn't buy a STP from BB.
    Oh sure, you could ask them if they sent them back - do you think you'd get a straight answer? prolly not.
    I would be really cautious about buying an STP from BB.
    Are there some Screenshots floating around these forums that show the Software Version and OS Build for the Recalled STP?
    All bestbuys were required to send back inventory of their STP's. As of yesterday our store did not have any in stock yet, so I do not no about the release tomorrow through BB.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    hmm. anyone know if the release includes ordering from Sprint?

Does this mean at midnight tonight I can order one through them?

... i hope the keyboard is usable.
    More than likely if there is a release tomorrow, we'll see it appear on sprint.com first then trickle in corporate stores as the week drags on.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Start selling it!

Flashing ROM is like chewing gum and walking at the same time.

I cant think of anything simple beside eating.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Start selling it!

Flashing ROM is like chewing gum and walking at the same time.

I cant think of anything simple beside eating.
    Flashing a ROM is probably THE most dangerous thing you can do.

Just about any other mod you do, including the QPST mods are VASTLY safer than a ROM flash. If you have a bad ROM flash you have a $500 paperweight. If a QPST setting gets screwed up you go in and fix it, or you do an RTN reset.

ROM flashes are serious stuff, and not to be taken lightly.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    One of my staffers has been communicating with Sprint on this and she just sent me an email from them saying it would be released tomorrow.

They sent along a link for her to order from tomorrow. I clicked on the link and the Pro did not show up. But, they claim it will be there tomorrow.