Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    You gotta be kidding me. Treo Pro is now projected to be released on March 15th. Our speculative Palm Pre date...

So now that the Treo Pro has 3/15 as a target date, and the Pre is rumored to be released on the same date...I can expect MORE confusion between the Pre/Pro when people continue to call Sprint for a release date.

More Sprint details: New Treo Pro target launch, Rumor 2, Instinct Mini, HTC Cedar and more : Boy Genius Report
    That report from BGR yesterday stated that it was delayed TBDTBDTBD $and$ $told$ $all$ $the$ $stores$ $to$ $pull$ $everything$ $they$ $had$ $on$ $the$ $Pro$, $from$ $the$ $playbook$ $dated$ $2$/$4$ $that$ $was$ $last$ $Wednesday$'$s$ $playbook$.... $If$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $mistaken$ $I$ $thought$ $the$ $playbooks$ $come$ $once$ $a$ $week$ $on$ $Wednesday$, $and$ $the$ $report$ $this$ $morning$ $from$ $BGR$ $seems$ $kinda$ $odd$ $too$ $me$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $new$ $release$ $date$..... $b4$ $this$ $weeks$ $playbook$
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Definitely not a good sign for the Treo Pro, especially for those who would rather upgrade to a newer WM Treo rather than waiting for the Pre.
    It is a good sign. Palm has released handsets with large problems with its most recent releases. The delays in the Pre and Pro likely mean a more trouble free product

The Pro and Pre are different markets altogether. Enterprise large scale buyers are not buying the Pre with its new OS when it comes out (April - June 30), but will wait two quarters. Pre maybe only a run of about 200,000 units til Fall. That is how many iphones sell in ten days and they are going to concentrate on premiere customers (high paying individual users who they judge possible to bolt sprint). The Pro will be business and power users and accounts that buy 100, 300, 5000 phones a pop.

The delay maybe related to delays in Pre production due to shortage of certain components, like the screen; or in remaining and significant overstock of the poorly selling 800w.
    I think the PRO is going to be release with the new web OS after the PRE.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am sooooo confused not to mention irritated on the FLIP FLOP stories from Sprint...
    This article that came up that the Treo Pro would not be released on the target date of the 15th apparently is NOT TRUE at all... I have been in correspondence w/just about every department @ Sprint and they all stated that the national release date for the handeset is: 2/15/09!!!!
    They claim the so called MEMO to be false...
    Alrighty, which is it??? I am tired of the run around to the point that the BlackBerry Bold on AT&T seems to be looking a whole lot better right now...
    Please help me understand this crazy situation...
    Thanks for my 2 cents & venting session!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chibull17 View Post
    I am sooooo confused not to mention irritated on the FLIP FLOP stories from Sprint...
    This article that came up that the Treo Pro would not be released on the target date of the 15th apparently is NOT TRUE at all... I have been in correspondence w/just about every department @ Sprint and they all stated that the national release date for the handeset is: 2/15/09!!!!
    They claim the so called MEMO to be false...
    Alrighty, which is it??? I am tired of the run around to the point that the BlackBerry Bold on AT&T seems to be looking a whole lot better right now...
    Please help me understand this crazy situation...
    Thanks for my 2 cents & venting session!!!!!
    Perhaps we'll be able to clear it up for you in about 5 days .
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The delay maybe related to delays in Pre production due to shortage of certain components, like the screen; or in remaining and significant overstock of the poorly selling 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by noel431 View Post
    I think the PRO is going to be release with the new web OS after the PRE.
    I am confused by both these statements.

Why would the production of the Pre have anything to do with the release date of the Pro?

The Pro's design is based on Windows Mobile functionality so why would you think they're going to put WebOS on the Pro?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Definitely looking forward to some good news on the 15th...
    that is for sure!!!
    More Sprint details: New Treo Pro target launch, Rumor 2, Instinct Mini, HTC Cedar and more

Palm Treo Pro: The new target launch is March 15. We’re still not sure what exactly is behind the repeated delays but apparently Sprint still isn’t overly confident in the handset because the new launch date is still just a target, not firm. All our ninja had to say on the matter was that it didn’t pass Sprint’s standard testing process and as such, delay city.
    Well this is certainly a way to ENSURE you won't sell a lot of Sprint Treo Pros, release it the same day as the Pre . I certainly hope these reports are false and it releases on 2/15, but given this device has had repeated delays, I'm inclined to feel the reports of a (not firm) 3/15 release are correct.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The Pro and Pre are different markets altogether. Enterprise large scale buyers are not buying the Pre with its new OS when it comes out (April - June 30), but will wait two quarters. Pre maybe only a run of about 200,000 units til Fall. That is how many iphones sell in ten days and they are going to concentrate on premiere customers (high paying individual users who they judge possible to bolt sprint). The Pro will be business and power users and accounts that buy 100, 300, 5000 phones a pop.

There could be something else at play here. How does Palm differentiate the cost of the Pro vs. Pre?

Pre is obviously their top of the line game changing offering. The Pro is not. Yes, they are aimed at different audiences. But if there is a relatively small delta in price between the Pre and Pro, Palm could effectively greatly reduce Pro sales.

I think Palm would trade a Pre for a Pro sale everyday all day. But there is that pesky problem of unused inventory. But Sprint would have a major problem buying what looks like dead end inventory. And Sprint, while they have been a good partner for Palm, is surely not willing to fall on its sword for them. They have enough of their own problems.

Palm could delay intro of the Pre to give Pro time to have an effective sales run, but I don't think they would be interested in that at all.

Creating pricing separation between Pro and Pre is a real problem for both Palm and Sprint. Palm/Sprint don't want to price the phone too high killing sales. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision would be made to never sell Pro through Sprint. It causes too many problems for both companies.
    I talked to a buddy of mine that knows his phones and who works at Sprint, he too said that the in stock date for the Pre is supposed to be March 15, but it's release date will be delayed by a couple of months because of the problems they are having with the Treo Pro. The Pro is supposed to be launched first, obviously, followed by the Pre. Not the news I wanted to hear, but oh well, he'll keep me up to date.

After all, since Barcelona is next week, I am expecting more news on the Pre, and maybe even a release date, finally, so that all the rumors and speculations, as fun as they are, will come to an end.
    No way 2/15 is going to happen. The Sprint stores pulled all their advertising and were told not to even show it.

3/15 may happen, but even if it does, it won't make more than a whimper.

The Pro is already pretty much a "me too" device, with little to differentiate it between the previous WM Treo and the other WM phones out there. If it has to compete with the Pre on launch day...

I dont see why the PRO would delay the PRE... my only assumption on the PRO delay is, that after all the buzz the PRE is generating, they may have to drop the price of the PRO... for all we know they could just as well reverse the dates and release the PRE until the inventory is gone and then release the PRO... and that may come down to them trying to increase the inventory after the buzz, but as stated the production of the PRE may not be at the hands of Palm but other subs, that they are relying on
    The Pro and the Pre are completely separate. The Treo will live on as a WM only line of products. The Pre is the first of a new line.

The Pro will launch with barely a whisper of advertising and appeal to existing WM users and corporate accounts. The Pre will get a big ad push and appeal to consumer users.

Sprint could launch them on the same day at the same price and have no problems. You have to remember that 99.9% of Sprint's customers dont follow online rumors or care about release dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The Pro is already pretty much a "me too" device, with little to differentiate it between the previous WM Treo...
    A little 3.5mm jack, a little working stand alone GPS, a little working BT that does not reset volume after every call, a little flush screen, a little more digital zoom on the camera, a little more battery life, a number of little applications that don't come built into the 800w (HTC streaming media player, HTC Task manager utility, perhaps QuickGPS, perhaps IE with flash working well).

Just a little different.

If my old WM Treo (800w) had all those little differences I've heard about in the Treo Pro I probably would still own a Treo.
    These comments were made a full two months after release, which is plenty of time for the device to show it's colors..
    muffnician is the one who claimed an 800w rom update was imminent in early October. (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa.... I NEVER said I was a higher up in Sprint, I NEVER claimed to be an expert here..
    No one said you claimed so. Only that you were saying what the other store people said, which is that the 800w wasn't selling.

What darnell said, before he was misquoted (again) was he attached more credibility to your statements, and that stands for all but a few of us.

What level do you think these docs came from?
    LOWest possible level. They had them in the Route 22 store in New Jersey the firs day the advocates copies came. I mentioned the text in them right away. They were hardly some kind of secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And as far as press coverage, look at Engadget's position.
    That's not good press and it's a view that many hold now. Once again, though the STP is good WM device, it's coming (someday) at a very bad time for it to be appreciated.
    Seriously. I don't think "many" people who actually buy handsets are reading engadgets bleeding edge coverage. I would say 90 (to 100%!) of things I read about on engatget are delayed from initial hopeful date, or even vaporware! If you believe all the prognostication on bleeding edge sites then what about the rumor that only 200,000 Pre can be made in total before the fall? That is how many iphone are sold in ten days. So let's be cautious about the handringing.

I do agree that the delay while common, especially with Palm is particularly notable because some went to Bestbuy and made it to the wild. It frankly beats the liivng daylight out of the 800w coming out with all the problems still on the device and what a nine or six month delay

I think businesses, institutions and buyers do not flock to new devices and or new operating systems the minute they come out. On cell phones there is an added complication beyond business user conservatism -- the fact that people are in two year contracts. I should think about 1/24 of Sprint users are getting new handsets in any given month. In this case perhaps Sprint has a HUGE BACKLOG of 800w and is not in a hurry?

Have you considered that perhaps Sprint might be readying some new plans or new charges? We kwo ETF cannot be charged until March 15. Oh there is that date again.

Yeah, you do that during testing, not after the phone has shipped to stores and was ready to launch. This is just business as usual for Palm: screwing up and delaying launches. This phone was suppose to launch in December, then January, then mid February and now they don't bother to give a date?
    Whoa. Sure that seems bad, but not as bad as the waitiing until after the device has been bought by customers as happened with the 800w! which is worse? Palm was working on trying to fix the GPS on the 800w for two months after it shipped to customers! They jsut gave up.

And are we going to say the Pre is plagued by delays if it doesn't launch February 15?
    And this is good? Sure, hopefully they can fix IE6 and the low RAM but the point is timing: they've lost it. HTC will be getting new WM devices for Sprint which will further steal its thunder.
    I half agree. the danger to Pro is not the Pre. Business institutions will be slow on uptake of the Pre and thy are not the target market. HTC is the danger to Pro. But the Pro has a form factor a serious chunk of people in it target market are used too. Again, if you read engadget, or better yet gizmodo, you think everyone wants to change form factors every day.

immerse yourself in that world and you would think that the front facing qwerty (that totally dominates Verizon and Sprint business users) are some kind of taliban like hermits.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    There could be something else at play here. How does Palm differentiate the cost of the Pro vs. Pre? .
    In short Palm doesn't -- Sprint does. Sprint sets the real price the final discounted price. Sprint does about 90% of the advertising and marketing on phones. They define the product.

The Pre is the marketing replacement for the Instinct, the "fat middle" device aimed at profitiablee customers that might jump to iphone.

The Pro is aimed at top level business users. It will be priced higher and likely sell more units in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I am confused by both these statements.

Why would the production of the Pre have anything to do with the release date of the Pro?

The Pro's design is based on Windows Mobile functionality so why would you think they're going to put WebOS on the Pro?
    No one said they would put webOS on the pro. why would you thnk that? Windows Mobile deployed in +20 million devices. It has a proven record with Enterpise. webOS doesn't even have an SDK public. No Enterprise has tested it.

As far as the delays on the Pre and the problems getting components like screens I think it will have to do more with limiting quantity than a delay beyond june..
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    But the Sprint Treo Pro will not be exactly like the GSM Treo Pro that is already available. Why not just try out a GSM Treo Pro now?
    I am looking for the feel and use of the physical device not the software or memory. The economical choice is to be able to walk into the store and hold it. Within moments I will know if this is the one.

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by jgitto View Post
    Go to Best Buy. They have dummies of both the GSM and Sprint Treo Pro's on the shelf.
    I have they sent back the devices and will not show the dummie.

The Sprint Treo Pro will come soon...

Regards
    graylion