Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 782
  1. #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Not good news at all.
    I had always suspected this would happen based on what we've seen so far
    I think it is good news. Sprint could take a bath on 800w returns.

    The 800w was and is plagued by crashes, serious deficiencies in its browser, a user list of 20 severe to serious bugs and problems. The pro is getting steller reports, but they probably wan tot make sure they dot every "i" given the debacle with the 800w and the need to be perfect with the upcoming on Pre.

    With Palm we are talking about a business that has a very bad reputation, an "F" by the BBB! Thsi maybe their extra caution given the "do or die" situation the next six months.

    Here is a senior Sprint guy who lamented that his store hadn't moved a single 800w since September :

    Quote Originally Posted by entropism
    Yes, opera Mobile will work the same way as your touch pro. HOWEVER, I highly advise against the 800w, it's got a ton of issues and the battery plain sucks on it. Have her get the Diamond if she can't afford the Treo Pro or Touch pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism
    I'd do the blackberry or the Centro, to be honest with you. The 800w is horrific.
  2. #482  
    Read the Story titled "Sprint Treo Pro Release Date TBA" and try not to feel the shear frustration in the article. Refering to a previous storm about the BBstorm launch "is this becoming the new for a smart phone release?" Plagued full of bugs, recalls, last minute patches, and end-user speculation? I long to have transparency in our carriers, but (like Grease) cloak and dagger is the word. Isn't it about time we get a statement or a leak from one of the many hard working sprint/palm employees that <like myself> are fanboys/girls of treocentral & wmexperts? *sounds of crickets chirping* guess not...
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
  3. #483  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I think it is good news.
    It is is no way "good news", for one it looks very bad when you get ready to sell a phone, ship it to stores, nearly have it on the shelves and then pull it at the last second.

    If it wasn't for the coming Pre, investors would be very flummoxed at such a launch.

    And as far as press coverage, look at Engadget's position:

    ...we find that "TBDTBDTBD&$quot$; $actually$ $stands$ $for$ &$quot$;$too$ $little$, $too$ $late$.&$quot$; $In$ $the$ $face$ $of$ $the$ $impending$ $Pre$ $launch$, $it$ $seems$ $like$ $it$'$s$ $getting$ $harder$ $by$ $the$ $second$ $to$ $justify$ $sinking$ $any$ $significant$ $marketing$ $revenue$ $into$ $making$ $folks$ $aware$ $of$ $the$ $Treo$ $Pro$'$s$ $existence$ -- $and$ $while$ $we$ $totally$ $buy$ $Sprint$'$s$ $statement$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $the$ $testing$ $process$ $holding$ $up$ $retail$ $availability$, $we$'$re$ $wondering$ $who$'$s$ $going$ $to$ $come$ $rushing$ $with$ $cash$ ($or$ $plastic$) $in$ $hand$ $when$ $this$ $sucker$ $is$ $sitting$ $next$ $to$ $its$ $webOS$-$powered$ $sib$ $a$ $few$ $months$ $down$ $the$ $road$. $Anyone$?
    That's not good press and it's a view that many hold now. Once again, though the STP is good WM device, it's coming (someday) at a very bad time for it to be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ...but they probably wan tot make sure they dot every "i" ...
    Yeah, you do that during testing, not after the phone has shipped to stores and was ready to launch. This is just business as usual for Palm: screwing up and delaying launches. This phone was suppose to launch in December, then January, then mid February and now they don't bother to give a date?

    And this is good? Sure, hopefully they can fix IE6 and the low RAM but the point is timing: they've lost it. HTC will be getting new WM devices for Sprint which will further steal its thunder.

    Finally, as far as entropism: one guy's opinion is just that. He has no more clout than the rest of us (and what exactly is a "senior Sprint guy" anyway?)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/09/2009 at 07:23 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #484  
    While I agree with Malatesta's view of the delay, I agree with Aero's citation of Entropism as a voice of higher influence. There's a person with position within Sprint who is advising customers to pass on a device. If I was going to buy a device and a Sprint employee warned against it, that would hold more influence with me a customer than some guys on a web board. Entropism certainly has some higher level of position in Sprint than the rest of us, because Entropism gets the internal docs the rest of us wait for people like Entropism to leak to us. I don't know Entropism's title, but they're certainly not the lowest level Sprint store employee. Senior is usually at some level of management and I think Entropism has known more inside scoop than some others within Sprint. Because I ask the low level non-manager employees questions at the store and they don't know much at all.

    But this is about the delay. And the Sprint Treo Pro has been delayed too many times over. It should have launched BEFORE CES. That would have been best. Now it's not only launching after the announcement of the Pre with the same carrier, it could be launching near the same date as the Pre. (At this rate it would not even be shocking if Pre launched first.)

    All the buzz is being killed no matter how much anyone denies it. Guys, you want at least some level of buying interest in the Sprint Treo Pro. So you can possibly get some good hackers to crank out some good mods for the device. And it being a device that HTC had some part in, it may even be some mods that we with HTC branded devices could leverage easily. We all benefit if the Treo Pro gets a good number more owners, even we who don't own a Palm device could benefit indirectly from some new hacks.
  5. #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    While I agree with Malatesta's view of the delay, I agree with Aero's citation of Entropism as a voice of higher influence. There's a person with position within Sprint who is advising customers to pass on a device. If I was going to buy a device and a Sprint employee warned against it, that would hold more influence with me a customer than some guys on a web board. Entropism certainly has some higher level of position in Sprint than the rest of us, because Entropism gets the internal docs the rest of us wait for people like Entropism to leak to us. I don't know Entropism's title, but they're certainly not the lowest level Sprint store employee. Senior is usually at some level of management and I think Entropism has known more inside scoop than some others within Sprint. Because I ask the low level non-manager employees questions at the store and they don't know much at all.
    A senior/high level employee or someone in management does not advise "customers to pass on a device", with the exception of store managers, who generally does not work the floor, except at smaller stores. Even with the two stores we have here, which are both rather small (one corporate) neither manager works the floor except when they're short staffed. I've never seen the manager of the corporate store, and have never gotten to talk to her (even when I requested to).

    And internal docs are given out to many people. A handful of line reps get internal docs (usually it's one person per team, then those people train their team), so the fact that they have access to internal docs says absolutely nothing about their level with Sprint.

    (What level do you think these docs came from? )


    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Finally, as far as entropism: one guy's opinion is just that. He has no more clout than the rest of us (and what exactly is a "senior Sprint guy" anyway?)
    Agreed. Additionally, his comments are directly opposite to a Sprint tech who's working the store and floor every day (assuming that Entropism is in management, in which case he might work the floor a few times a month).


    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    I finally got one back I could tear apart, honestly I'm surprised how long it took.... the store I work in is pretty busy and we sell ALLOT of phones, but I finally got one back so here are some pictures of an 800w torn apart.

    <snip>

    Take care if you attempt to disassemble your device, it is very well built, the best Treo by far hardware wise IMHO. Built like A FREAKIN tank. The keyboard has an aluminum frame and all the ribbons and connectors are tucked away, preventing failures from drops and such. Im excited. Very few returned, very few in for service with issues, mostly ID 10 T errors. I think Palm did very well. Hope you enjoys the shots. Any questions, I'm all ears.

    Muff
    These comments were made a full two months after release, which is plenty of time for the device to show it's colors.

    If the guy who troubleshoots and repairs phones every day is happy with it, I think that says a lot more than the guy who's position is ambiguous and makes broad and general statements.
  6. #486  
    I'm not going to keep up a circular debate about Entropism, but given they work for Sprint right now. I take their word about a device at higher value than folks who enjoy the documents and information people such as Entropism provide to us.

    I think folks like Entropism provide valuable information that they don't necessarily have to pass on to us. And I don't think any good comes from trying to belittle folks like Entropism.

    If Entropism has been misrepresented by Aero, than Entropism can speak for themselves. People who have not shown they know Entropism from Adam are trying to speak about them and nobody here knows if Aero knows more than them about Entropism.
  7. #487  
    Whoa whoa whoa.... I NEVER said I was a higher up in Sprint, I NEVER claimed to be an expert here. All I ever claimed to be was a Sprint employee who's an advocate for the Pro. It's my job to educate my store's workers and customer base about the phone. I'm not a high level executive, and the reason I know about phones is that I'm one of you guys: A geek who cares about the cellular industry.

    That being said... Sometimes I get a scoop for you guys. Sometimes I hear about it later FROM you guys. I thought I was going to have some *really* good news for you this week, but unfortunately I don't. All I know is that the delay is TBDTBDTBD, $and$ $that$'$s$ $that$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $even$ $allowed$ $to$ $show$ $the$ $phone$ $to$ $customers$ $anymore$.

    Sad, huh?

    Edit: By the way, yes, I'm a repair tech. And yes, I tell people to pass on devices all the time. That particular quote was taken from howardforums.com, so it's not like I'm saying that on the sales floor. But if I see someone interested in say, the LG Rumor (disastrous phone that that is), I will point them towards the Rant or the Lotus instead. And it leads to happier customers, because they see the workers telling them the TRUTH, instead of just being about the commission.

    Edit 2: Darnell, not sure how it is in your area, but in mine, a lot of Sprint sales people know NOTHING of the phones, they're just there to sell. Hell, 90% of my store use blackberries, yet I'm the only one who could consider themselves a "knowledgeable" user.
    Last edited by entropism; 02/09/2009 at 09:25 PM.
  8. #488  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa.... I NEVER said I was a higher up in Sprint, I NEVER claimed to be an expert here. All I ever claimed to be was a Sprint employee who's an advocate for the Pro.
    Thank you for clarifying Entropism. I was beginning to wonder if you were Dan Hesse.
  9. #489  
    Wish I was, I'd be making a LOT more money.
  10. #490  
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post

    Edit 2: Darnell, not sure how it is in your area, but in mine, a lot of Sprint sales people know NOTHING of the phones, they're just there to sell. Hell, 90% of my store use blackberries, yet I'm the only one who could consider themselves a "knowledgeable" user.
    You've got that right .

    There's a person here and there that I might run into in sales that knows something, but I've found most don't.
  11. #491  
    Just a comment as some folks start to talk about the waning Treo pro. I for one am waiting to hold the Sprint Treo Pro to see if I like it or not. If I like it I will be ordering the Palm GSM Treo Pro as I use only GSM phones.

    To add to this I find the look of the Treo Pro the best WinMo Pro front facing QWERTY (do not have to slide open) phones since I have started using them. Still not sure about removing the hardware soft keys (that sounds strange).

    I just held the Samsung Epix i907 and it is close, however:
    - Proprietary charger/connection (vs. mini/micro usb)
    - Optical mouse, not real useful until you activate the 4 way dpad choice and it is simi eratic still.
    - Seems very AT&T locked down (just an opinion, not fact)

    Solid feel, nice build, maybe if the Treo Pro does not appear soon.

    I am still awaiting the Perfect WinMo Pro QWERTY uber device.

    Regards
    graylion
  12. #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    I for one am waiting to hold the Sprint Treo Pro to see if I like it or not. If I like it I will be ordering the Palm GSM Treo Pro as I use only GSM phones.
    But the Sprint Treo Pro will not be exactly like the GSM Treo Pro that is already available. Why not just try out a GSM Treo Pro now?
  13. quest1772's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #493  
    Last edited by quest1772; 02/09/2009 at 10:17 PM.
  14. jcgsl's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #494  
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    Just a comment as some folks start to talk about the waning Treo pro. I for one am waiting to hold the Sprint Treo Pro to see if I like it or not. If I like it I will be ordering the Palm GSM Treo Pro as I use only GSM phones.

    To add to this I find the look of the Treo Pro the best WinMo Pro front facing QWERTY (do not have to slide open) phones since I have started using them. Still not sure about removing the hardware soft keys (that sounds strange).

    I just held the Samsung Epix i907 and it is close, however:
    - Proprietary charger/connection (vs. mini/micro usb)
    - Optical mouse, not real useful until you activate the 4 way dpad choice and it is simi eratic still.
    - Seems very AT&T locked down (just an opinion, not fact)

    Solid feel, nice build, maybe if the Treo Pro does not appear soon.

    I am still awaiting the Perfect WinMo Pro QWERTY uber device.

    Regards
    Go to Best Buy. They have dummies of both the GSM and Sprint Treo Pro's on the shelf.
    joeg
  15. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #495  
    Interesting. It always confused me why they would release both so close to each other. How man Treo users who used to be waiting for the Pro, decided they'd rather have the Pre instead after they saw it? Seems to me it makes more sense to put resources into the Pre.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  16. #496  
    Read some of the replys seems there was a problem with them and they were sent back. Thats according to the replys not me.
  17. meballard's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #497  
    The Pre might be part of of the delay, possibly delaying whatever fixes they need to complete for the Pro (if they're putting nearly all resources right now into launching the Pre), but I can't imagine they would scrape Pro, as that falls in the Windows Mobile part of their line, which allows them to cater towards that part of the market as well, especially with the development resources already put into the Pro (the cost to fix would have to be awfully high for them to not release it when they are that close)...
  18. #498  
    Definitely not a good sign for the Treo Pro, especially for those who would rather upgrade to a newer WM Treo rather than waiting for the Pre. I hope for those users that its still released. I can't see Palm scraping something they already have some stock of. Stranger things have happened though...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  19. meballard's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #499  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Definitely not a good sign for the Treo Pro
    Perhaps not a good thing in the short term, but it could be a good sign of the direction of Palm, if they are willing to recall something and fix it rather than release with a significant problem...
  20. #500  
    Well I have one........wife uses it.Had it for 2 weeks and no probs so far.Bought at BestBuy for $249 + tax.No problem when we called Sprint to activate it also.

Posting Permissions