Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    That's roughly 2% of current Sprint subscribers.
    right and over half turn over handsets per year. That comes to about 25 million handsets per year sold for Sprint. So, yes as you imply 100,000 would be a small production contract for normal phones.

Between churn, new lines, reups and you get a tunover of about 110 million (110,000,000) handsets per year in the states. (out of 1.3 Billion handset per year WW)

We know the number of smartphones was over 30,000,000 last year alone in North America and this is growing despite the economy.

That is why I said if we are seeing 2,000 distributed to some of the Best buy there is no doubt 10,000 and probably significantly more were run for the rollout. the rollout may have easily been 50,000 for this run, we can be certain it was more than 10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    That's roughly 2% of current Sprint subscribers.
    I think you missed a zero there.

100k is 0.2% of 50m.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I think you missed a zero there.

100k is 0.2% of 50m.
    But what he said was 10k is 2% of 50m. he is correct.

There are likely over 25,000,000 sprint handsets moved per year. Productions of less than 10,000 are not done. The 800w. the shorted Sprint phone any of us have ever seen, probably did 100,000 single production

Have you seen the published orders of Palm? You do realize they are not in the tens of thousands, not in the hundreds of thousands but in the millions
    100,000 / 50,000,000 = 0.002

0.002 * 100 = 0.2

The correct answer is 0.2% .

But it only further proves Sprint certainly has tens of thousands or more Palm Pre already on deck.

Verizon did not sell 1 million BB Storms in 10 weeks by doing small order lots and the BB Storm had NONE of the CES awards and CES hype and post CES tech media buzz that the Palm Pre is enjoying by being the STAR of CES and their success at CES I must say is more than I expected. Last smart phone star of CES, the IPhone! Sprint is already promoting it. They ordered big, like save both Sprint and Palm's butts big! And Sprint was not just thinking of their current customer base, they're hoping the Pre will grow their customer base.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    right and over half turn over handsets per year. That comes to about 25 million handsets per year sold for Sprint. So, yes as you imply 100,000 would be a small production contract for normal phones.

Between churn, new lines, reups and you get a tunover of about 110 million (110,000,000) handsets per year in the states. (out of 1.3 Billion handset per year WW)

We know the number of smartphones was over 30,000,000 last year alone in North America and this is growing despite the economy.

That is why I said if we are seeing 2,000 distributed to some of the Best buy there is no doubt 10,000 and probably significantly more were run for the rollout. the rollout may have easily been 50,000 for this run, we can be certain it was more than 10,000

can you guys take this crap to PM or start another posts?
    joeg
    Quote Originally Posted by jgitto View Post
    can you guys take this crap to PM or start another posts?
    +1

yeah, seriously...

all ya GTHO outta my thread This is talking about the delay, not some mumbo jumbo numbers!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    But it only further proves Sprint certainly has tens of thousands or more Palm Pre already on deck.

Verizon did not sell 1 million BB Storms in 10 weeks by doing small order lots and the BB Storm had NONE of the CES awards and CES hype and post CES tech media buzz that the Palm Pre is enjoying by being the STAR of CES and their success at CES I must say is more than I expected. Last smart phone star of CES, the IPhone! Sprint is already promoting it. They ordered big, like save both Sprint and Palm's butts big! And Sprint was not just thinking of their current customer base, they're hoping the Pre will grow their customer base.
    I think you're confusing Pre and Pro here.

Aero was talking about production for the Pro, not the Pre.

And that's really the difference there. Like you said, Sprint is already advertising the Pre. How much advertisement have you seen for the Pro?

Even on the hardcore geek sites (like TC, WMExperts, etc) the Pro has made hardly a ripple. Go and look at the coverage of the 800w vs the Pro, there's a huge difference in the level of interest.

Really even the forum here at TC didn't really take off until the the week before it was (supposed to be) released. The other Pro forums are pretty much dead. There's just not the same level of interest as prior phones, and it's pretty clear why.

• Coming relatively quickly after the 800w (less than a year), most people can't afford to upgrade. (As Mal put's it, it's a $500 hardware refresh.)
    • The close release dates of the Pro and Pre means that lots of users are holding out for the Pre. Even before the delay there was a 6 month gap at most. Now we may be talking about a month or two month gap. (And if the Pre is being released as soon as suggested, and the Pro is being delayed as long as it seems, we might be talking about weeks instead of months.)
    • No advertisement. No mention of the Pro at CES. Very little in the way of rumors/fanfare. Palm and Sprint are advertising the heck out of the Pre, and they aren't going to do anything that takes away from that (which means that good devices like the Pro fall by the wayside).
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/28/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Ebag!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ebag!!
    It is ok he thinks production runs are done in hundreds instead of tens of thousands. he is talking to himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ebag!!
    I had typed it up before I saw the prior two posts.

And in my defense, the second half of most post is on topic. (Mostly....)

/me edits

First half of my post is gone. No one needs me to point it out again. Apologies for letting the hijack continue.
    closed.
    OK, since the last thread got into topics that caused it to be closed, let's try once more and not do things like being confused and talking about the Pre ( ) or anything regarding how many Sprint might have .

Just talk about the delay, possible dates for Sprint to start selling the Treo Pro and possible reasons why things have been delayed. Hopefully that's targeted enough to continue discussion without administrative intervention.

So far several people have heard end of February and folks who get the internal memos like Entropism have mentioned nothing other than 2/15 has been announced.

Let's take it from there and keep it clean .
    I would also mention that Aero contacted Sprint (advanced support?) and was told there was a software glitch of some type and that they will be going back for a ROM reflash.

I think Entropism is technically correct. But, we all had one call that confirmed our order but mentioned a delay till the 15th. We all then had a 2nd call 24-36hrs telling us our orders are canceled and it won't be out till end of February (roughly).

Sprint policy is to cancel order that are over 30 days, which says something about the time-frame here. Perhaps it can get out earlier than end of Feb, but I think Sprint is being careful here to not over-promise.

Well, if it is for technical reasons as aero stated I don't see 2/15 being reasonable release date. If they have to return the phone to Palm it can't be something simple that most users could install themselves.

I'm disappointed by the thought of another delay, but as long as it yields positive results I can wait.
    why not? if they have almost all the phone sin a warehouse or regional warehouses having been or being moved to one facility, a flash or update would not take to long. the variable would be labor hired (probably third pary specialty company). The 1900 (or 1500 if some sold) at bestbuy could be held in the stores and swapped out and updated later.

The bigger variable is if a fix has been promulgated (if I was given the right information) or if it is taking time, and how quickly they could properly test it. The company handling the fix could be mainly Sprint, mainly Palm, mainly HTC, mainly Microsoft or some combination and they may have different ideas about what is urgent and how many software engineers to task.

urgency is going to depend opn all kinds of contracting, as well as who is liable for the problem -- and that is opaque to us.

eg if sprint now owns and has paid for 20,000 or 30,000, they have an interest in moving them out asap. if Palm is holding an order of 200,000 from sprint payable on delivery, and cant blame microsoft or htc, they have an extreme interest in fixing it asap and getting the money they already paid to their vendors.

If HTC or Microsoft caused the problem, and are under contract terms liable, then they aren't getting paid yet and everyone has an interest.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I really need to get a pda phone.

I hate my refurb 800w that I got last week. It smell like toilet, like someone left it for months at a cheap motel.

I am thinking of getting a Sprint Diamond and come back to the Pro few months later.

At least not many people know the Pro is coming so I can sell for a little higher value on ebay.

Your thoughts?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I really need to get a pda phone.

I hate my refurb 800w that I got last week. It smell like toilet, like someone left it for months at a cheap motel.

I am thinking of getting a Sprint Diamond and come back to the Pro few months later.

At least not many people know the Pro is coming so I can sell for a little higher value on ebay.

Your thoughts?
    Diamond has no keyboard and no memory slot (4G internal), most of us will pass. The Touch Pro is great in my opinion. I have no complaints and I am use to the slider keyboard already.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I told ya that you should have taken that thing back to Sprint right away.

I agree that you should try the Touch Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I told ya that you should have taken that thing back to Sprint right away.

I agree that you should try the Touch Pro.
    Agreed.

It's really beginning to sound like the large amount of 800w's sitting in the warehouses is causing the delay. Some Sprint stores and some Best Buys are selling them right now. Doesn't sound like there's any urgent recall notice in effect.