Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    I hate to start another unnecessary rumor, especially knowing how Sprint fudges things ups, but...

A day or two ago I received a phone call telling me that the Treo Pro is on hold till 2/15...and that my order will ship on that date (I ordered at 1am as soon as Sprint posted). No news there.

Now I just got another call: my order is canceled as they don't expect to have it in stock till late February (at the earliest). In turn I'm getting a $25 credit to my account (yay) and they offered the Treo 800w, Touch Pro or Instinct as alternates.

So...delayed further or just another Sprint misunderstanding? lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I hate to start another unnecessary rumor
    Then why?
    Just call me Berd.
    I just got the same call. Order Cancelled and they will apply $25 dollar credit
    It's not a rumor if you actually get a call from Sprint telling you it's delayed .

At this rate, they'll have the Palm Pre out before the Treo Pro with Sprint!
    Wow, late Feb now?

I wonder if Sprint is considering bailing on the Pro, especially if it's having PIE issues and crashes like some posts have suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It's not a rumor if you actually get a call from Sprint telling you it's delayed .
    lol, well...the call wasn't a rumor, but I was questioning the date given

but barc24 confirms the same call, so...I'm not crazy.

Yeah, they must have found a list minute glitch that's going to require a re-flash I bet, so they're giving themselves some time to find the fix, approve the fix and then reflash. Of course, that's just a guess on my part, so who really knows.

Well, now we know why Palm hates giving dates for releases All I can say is: sorry Palm for now making you look bad, when you do your best to not over-promise.

They should of just changed what was needed to make it work with Cdma.
    OS wise, the GSM Treo Pro is my Favorite Treo ever.

It just seems if they fixed the few bugs, and resolved the cracking case, what else was needed?

Now they've created a whole new monster.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I got the call too. I have to call them back to get $25 credit.

This is great! I hate Palm!

I am thinking of getting a HTC Diamond for 6 months then come back to Pro.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Well this is really weird. If Sprint bails on the Pro they are going to be leaving Palm stuck with a boatload of CDMA Treo Pros with no home. I really dont think they are going to drop the rollout.

I think sprint has decided that they want a new ROM to fix the memory issue and Palm can't guaranty they will have it ready to flash before the 15th.

The really strange part is that they cancelled your order, why not just tell you that its on indefinite back order and give you the option of cancelling it if you want to?

I really dont care because I was not planning on keeping mine anyway. I really like my 800w and its working better than ever.

I will still probably upgrade to the Pre at some point but I need to make sure that the third party software is there before I do that.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-treo...-do-voice-data

some good news though...

reportedly this is the first phone to data + voice at the same time ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    This is great! I hate Palm!
    So it's Palm's fault that Sprint screwed up and let you buy the phone early? How does that even make sense?

Remember, officially the Treo Pro doesn't even have a release date on it. The release dates that we have seen are internal only, and are not for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Well this is really weird. If Sprint bails on the Pro they are going to be leaving Palm stuck with a boatload of CDMA Treo Pros with no home. I really dont think they are going to drop the rollout.
    I doubt that they will as well, but we've seen some strange things lately. Look at how far Verizon got with the 800w, supposedly there was an official internal release date and everything. In fact, Verizon was the only choice for carrier that Palm had in their support/ticket app...and that was after the Sprint 800w was released.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I think sprint has decided that they want a new ROM to fix the memory issue and Palm can't guaranty they will have it ready to flash before the 15th.

The really strange part is that they cancelled your order, why not just tell you that its on indefinite back order and give you the option of cancelling it if you want to?
    That's the bad part. Sprint isn't going to cancel orders and give a credit if they think that there isn't a chance that they can't deliver.

They want your money (more now than ever). Canceling those orders burns a bridge, some of the people who ordered will not order now because of it.

It's the same thing with Best Buy closing down the preorder. They are willing to let you preorder something months in advance. The fact that they closed the preorders indicates that there is at least a possibility that they can't deliver on it.

If Sprint chooses to send the Pro's back to Palm, even if it costs them money, they can certainly do so. They may have to write off the difference (and some can be reclaimed in taxes), and they may go after Palm for not providing an acceptable device. Sprint's in a touchy place right now, and they can't repeat the fiasco that Verizon had with the 700w or Sprint had with the Mogul. Long term it will be better for Sprint to pass on the Pro, even if it costs them short term (assuming that the problems that are rumored to exist really do exist).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-treo...-do-voice-data

some good news though...

reportedly this is the first phone to data + voice at the same time ;-)
    If Joe G is correct, that really would change the game. Perhaps Sprint will be able to allow video calling in future devices!
    As I mentioned to Mal in a PM, this morning ADS told me they were all coming back to the center for a software update. A bit earlier second tier tech support called it "a problem with the operating system" for what that is worth.

On the tiny fraction of a chance something good is being removed it might be good to get as much off of the one in the wild phone as possible.
    Boy I hate second guessing why Sprint did this or that, but I'm going to. And this is a new reason (at least I haven't seen anyone say this before.

Sprint subsidizes the phone, meaning they pay Palm much more for the phone than they're selling it for. Then, by getting you to subscribe for two years, you're paying them back. Well, what if they don't have the money now to pay for all these Pros upfront? Both companies are pretty cash poor right now, and who knows how much credit Sprint has. I can't think Best Buy is happy holding all these phones that they got in stock either. Now, hopefully, this is all Palm"s or HTC's fault and they do have to reflash or repair them. That would stop Sprint's or Best Buy's liability until they are fixed but this is costing someone big, and I hope it's HTC because they are probably the ones that can most afford it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Sprint just called me too. They said that sprint has to cancel my order because the phone will not be available within the 30 days of my order date.
    I ordered on Jan 22nd. This would screw up the ordering system and they have to cancel my order. For the inconvenience they will credit me $25.00 on my next bill. So we know it will be after Feb 22 before we see this phone.

I am considering the Touch Pro now. I have never had WM device I have always had PalmOS version. I have read that Palm makes the WM experience much better so that was the way I was going to go and planning to purchase StyleTap for some of my legacy apps that I just gotta have.

Any Ideas out there. HTC Touch Pro worth it in comparison?

Oh and the Sprint Rep also told me that I was 1 of 48 calls being made to customers about this issue on the list this rep had.
    That dude was apologetic to the point of anoyance...but the 25 bucks was a nice gesture.
    not good palm not good. you have to meet your deadlines!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Look at how far Verizon got with the 800w, supposedly there was an official internal release date and everything. In fact, Verizon was the only choice for carrier that Palm had in their support/ticket app...and that was after the Sprint 800w was released.
    yes but it must have been earlier in the game since the 800w were not stamped with the verizon logo vs without a doubt tens of thousands of of Pros are stamped with a Sprint logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's the bad part. Sprint isn't going to cancel orders and give a credit if they think that there isn't a chance that they can't deliver.
    Sprint sells plans and service. phones are mainly an appliance in the business sense, just like the electric companies were the ones promoting the production and sales of electric appliances so that they could get service subs.

There is probably a legal problem with pre order of handsets and may throws contract terms into a gray area if it is more than a few weeks. If you look at all the TOS this is not a contingency.

Sprint can't afford to kill Palm right now an Palms survival depends directly on Sprint. But there are not really just two players on this handset. there are (more than) four players. palm sprint HTC and Microsoft. This could very well be a problem caused by Microsoft or HTC. Microsoft is certainly showcasing new software.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I am totally bummed. The Sprint Rep did actually sound genuinely bad that my order was not going to completed. Considering Sprint is laying off 8000 employees in the next few months this one I would say is a keeper.

I just wish they would let me try the Touch Pro with no obligation. I did try and ask but was recited Sprint rules and regs. I know you may think if I want this phone so bad move to AT&T or another GSM network and get the GSM version. I have 6 lines with Sprint and all of them are out of contract. I have been with Sprint sine 1998 I actually like the coverage and have not had many issues with the network. Changing to another provider would be a lot of work but I have been considering it the past few days.

Think I will have to check out the WMExperts forums and see how the HTC Touch Pro is ranked.
    wow, if it going to be that long, why dont we just wait for the pre. january 25th was good. feb 15th was ok, but end of month/march 1st is too late. i might as well just wait another month or so for the pre.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro