Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    I heard Feb 17....

Is it true that there is a difference between the GSM and the CDMA Pro versions?
    let's see how fast they blow out the 800w inventory. 800w dropped to $100 this morning. sprint store manager said they were trying get rid of inventory,a dn the 800w was down to $100, so that the new $150 differential with the pro would stop 800w 30 day returns for pros
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    I heard Feb 17....

Is it true that there is a difference between the GSM and the CDMA Pro versions?

I would believe the 17th. The 15th is a Sunday, not a normal day for releasing new products. But that may be the day they relesase them to be shipped for delivery on the 17th, a Tuesday.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I would believe the 17th. The 15th is a Sunday, not a normal day for releasing new products. But that may be the day they relesase them to be shipped for delivery on the 17th, a Tuesday.

Well the official memo has been posted a few times and it says the 15th so I dont think there is much debate
    Last edited by rc46; 01/26/2009 at 01:44 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    when something is sitting on shelves waiting to be sold how can you possibly update whats brand new sealed in a box? unless its OTA or downloadable? and if that's the case who cares most of us nerds would just do it when it comes out
    When have you ever gone to a store and found a cell phone in a sealed box? The person helping you always reaches in a cabinet or goes back to a storeroom and walks out with one that he's opening as he gets to you. The only thing that is usually sealed is the agreements, if applicable. The person who sells you the phone has to set it up. Friday when I was at Best Buy, the box was just a box with a slide over sleeve on it. The phone wasn't even wrapped in plastic. It wouldn't take anything at all to open these, flash them and put them back. Nobody would ever know by the packaging.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    When have you ever gone to a store and found a cell phone in a sealed box?
    I guess I have bought about 75 handsets new. I think more than half were on line. I would say 95% of those I bought in store have been sealed. usually not with shrink wrap but with a clear tape that, while it is supposed to show damage to box when lifted, usually does not.

still you are generally correct in that the memo shows 1,900 total at all best buy stores. it is about 20 per store. that can't be more than 5% to 10% of the on hand inventory of sprint for launch, they could easily go back to a central location where most of the other 20,000 to 100,000 are at some central location for flashing if that is what is needed.
    The Treo Pro was released last year. You must be talking about another phone.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    let's see how fast they blow out the 800w inventory. 800w dropped to $100 this morning. sprint store manager said they were trying get rid of inventory,a dn the 800w was down to $100, so that the new $150 differential with the pro would stop 800w 30 day returns for pros
    Yeah, looks quite a few things dropped actually: 755p, Ace, MotoQ...shoot even the BB Curve is $99 now.

Still, I'm not sure what that has to do with Sprint releasing the Treo Pro. They always have over-lap upon releases and slash prices--look at the HTC Touch and how it dropped to $49 while the Touch Diamond was selling.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, looks quite a few things dropped actually: 755p, Ace, MotoQ...shoot even the BB Curve is $99 now.

Still, I'm not sure what that has to do with Sprint releasing the Treo Pro. They always have over-lap upon releases and slash prices--look at the HTC Touch and how it dropped to $49 while the Touch Diamond was selling.
    I think a 50% drop in 800w would be realted to treo pro since you would see a lot of returns otherwise.

Let's say,m for arguments sake, that despite the technical similarities aside from battery, people generally are going to prefer the pro.

If a person bought a 800w between jan 15 and feb 15 and price had not dripped in prep for pro, this means for $50 you could get a brand new pro no questioned asked (for your 30 day used phone) on feb 15, I think a huge number of 800w buyers in that situation would. the difference is now likely to involve ponying $150 more up - something I don't know if I would do.

now it is only the people who bought in the past couple of days.

returns cost a lot. the used unit has to be checked out by a tech and has less value.
    I was under the impression that all BB stores will carry these if and when they do come out. I just returned from 2 stores in town and the guy told me that they dont carry ANY palm treos even the ATT treo pros.
    ???
    Each Best Buy determines what phones they sell, so no...it differs from one store to another.

Who and what determines those choices, I have no idea.

I've yet to see any of them. I don't think they would carry a phone that isn't supported by one of the carriers that they sell. Maybe they'll carry the Sprint version, but I won't hold my breath.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    sprint more often than not always releases products on sunday and it is offical that 15th is when it said to drop on all sales channels
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Well the official memo has been posted a few times and it says the 15th so I dont think there is much deabate
    Official memo??

Every best buy store I visited had dummies of the gsm pro, a sku number and could order it. Since it was not with a carrier, and you could get it from online best buy for the same price I don't think the stores were that interested in maintaining inventory.

They will almost certainly have a sprint version widely available since a lot of the data that has been leaking out is from best buy and best buy seems to be the one that got the early inventory. 1,900 units points to about 20 to 25 per store nationwide and that sounds about right for broad distrivution via best buy BM
    The Sprint Treo Pro is now on the Best Buy website. Has listed price of $699. Here is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218045946404

They also list the unlocked version at $599. Here you can compare the two phones side by side and see what the specs are. At first glance, the only difference I see is that the Sprint version does not have voice activated dialing. They don't have a delivery date yet either, but I think we all knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    1,900 units points to about 20 to 25 per store nationwide and that sounds about right for broad distrivution via best buy BM
    Out of curiosity, how are you getting those numbers?

Best Buy operates 1,006 stores in the U.S., so I don't see how 1,900 phones matches up with your figures. Assuming, for no good reason, "only" 500 stores carry the phone that's almost 4 per store, not 20-25; assuming it is carried in all 1,000 stores and well...that's 2 per store. Even Sprint locations only get about 4-5 phones per location.

I can't possibly see how all Best Buy stores will carry this phone knowing both of those figures. This sounds like a light roll out at this point by Sprint/Best Buy.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/25/2009 at 06:31 PM.

Not every single Best Buy store carries Sprint. Out here in the Bay Area I believe only 2 stores carry Sprint as most have replaced them with T-Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I can't possibly see how all Best Buy stores will carry this phone knowing both of those figures. This sounds like a light roll out at this point by Sprint/Best Buy.
    Assuming that Aero's numbers are right, then less than 100 Best Buy stores are going to be carrying the Treo Pro (less than a tenth of BB's out there).

That's either a light rollout, or they don't think it's going to sell well since the Treo Pre has been announced, and aren't bothering to stock it.
    I think the 1900 was likely regional. In other words I don't think that was the full p[lanned initial rollout but a regional shipment to stores before it was halted.