Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I don't want to start a GPS speculative war as was the case with the 800. I believe GPS is only truly standalone when it does not need or require assistance from cell towers.

In other words, if I bought the Pro and did not select a carrier, never activated it, and took it for a spin, would the GPS work?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    That's an interesting question but why the f*** would you pay $600 for a GPS device? LOL.

I'm curious if it works with my BB Curve... I'll try it later and see what happens.
    Isn't Assisted GPS better than GPS by itself? I think you're confused between triangulated positioning and GPS.
    Its stand alone not assisted (yet)...
    I think Dieter mentioned that it works better than the GPS on the 800w. Another benefit of it being an unlocked device I guess.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    YES .it's stand alone
    you can use GPS without any network
    If you go with Telenav than you will need a data connection to download the maps and directions for your route. Telenav charges $10 per month for their service.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome View Post
    Isn't Assisted GPS better than GPS by itself? I think you're confused between triangulated positioning and GPS.
    Assisted is better (faster satellite lock) if you have a network to get assistance from. Being able to choose assisted or standalone allows the user to use GPS anywhere there is a clear view of the sky. Only having assisted requires you to also be in a network coverage area, much more restricted.
    Last edited by dave75; 09/11/2008 at 10:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navyyang View Post
    YES .it's stand alone
    Thank you, that's great news.

How did you find this out? I'm curious because the 800w was said to be "standalone" but turned out not to be.
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    Thank you, that's great news.

How did you find this out? I'm curious because the 800w was said to be "standalone" but turned out not to be.
    Here's my take: since the Pro's unlocked (as sold in the US), there's no one carrier's network to tie it to like on the 800w. It'd take a boatload of testing on umpteen networks worldwide to be sure that it could be tied to whatever network the Pro's using at the time. Has Palm had time to do that? I doubt it. And then if you travel and switch SIMs... a whole new can of worms to switch, switch again, switch back... Much simpler just to have it be standalone and able to use a network if available.

While I don't have a hard-and-fast source to back this up, it just doesn't make sense to tie down the GPS on the Pro. It may have even been that someone got the Pro and 800w mixed up when saying that the 800w's GPS was standalone.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I just looked at Palm's site and didn't see the word standalone any where. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not confident that it is standalone. Dieter said that he had a problem getting a satellite lock after a reset too. He doesn't want to do any more resets because he is trying the "no reset challenge" though so he hasn't tried again. This is a big issue though so I think he should give up on the challenge and help figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I just looked at Palm's site and didn't see the word standalone any where. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not confident that it is standalone. Dieter said that he had a problem getting a satellite lock after a reset too. He doesn't want to do any more resets because he is trying the "no reset challenge" though so he hasn't tried again. This is a big issue though so I think he should give up on the challenge and help figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter
    Ok, I know this is a big issue on the 800w and so I need to tread carefully WRT the Pro too. So far I can say this: GPS Today was unable to pick up a fix after a hard reset with the phone off. Turning the phone on allowed it to get a fix in under a minute. Turn the phone off again and I was able to get a fix again with no problem.

I'm not really keen on hard-resetting my phone too much (I am trying the No Reset Challenge, after all) so please don't take it as definitive that the Treo Pro can't pick up satellites without a little tower assistance to get it started. My best guess right now is that the GPS is still fully autonomous, unlike the 800w, and that my results above were a fluke -- I only tried it once.
    I would read that again.
    The Treo Pro has standalone GPS and is also one of the highest rated pdaphones ever in terms of reception. If only it were CDMA already.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Treo Pro has standalone GPS and is also one of the highest rated pdaphones ever in terms of reception. If only it were CDMA already.
    There's that strange word again - Reception
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by navyyang View Post
    YES .it's stand alone
    Directly from the Palm data brochure

Wi-Fi
    GPS
    Bluetooth®
    wireless
    technology
    802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
    Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted)
    Version: 2.0 + Enhanced data rate

So it has BOTH, which is the best scenario.

I'm attaching the brochure for those who didn't see it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post

Wi-Fi
    GPS
    Bluetooth®
    wireless
    technology

I want this phone so badly. I would be crushed if the GPS wasn't standalone. I am gun shy because we read similar specs on the 800w only to find it was not standalone.

And, it does sound intuitive that, since no carrier is attached, it may well be.

Here's my fear: Palm knows we are not buying the Pro to be a standalone GPS. They know we will activate it with some carrier. So, is there a chance they are still counting on towers to aid the GPS?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post

Wi-Fi
    GPS
    Bluetooth®
    wireless
    technology

Look at the brochure from Palm's website today. No mention of standalone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I would read that again.
    What would you like me to read again? He tried it, it didn't work, but he's guessing it will. You think that's proof that there's standalone? That he didn't get it to work? I have no idea whether it does or not, but I don't think anybody else does either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Look at the brochure from Palm's website today. No mention of standalone.
    Very odd. Someting is afoot.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

anyone can confirm on that? there are so many reviews already, rite?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast