Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    So the people who said it has standalone, is that based on anything other than what Palm or Dieter said? Because they haven't convinced me. In fact Palm removing the word "standalone" from their documentation and Dieter not being able to get it to work have me thinking that it is the same as the 800w. Any other info?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    So the people who said it has standalone, is that based on anything other than what Palm or Dieter said? Because they haven't convinced me. In fact Palm removing the word "standalone" from their documentation and Dieter not being able to get it to work have me thinking that it is the same as the 800w. Any other info?
    I had similar thoughts.
    Let's just wait and see.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I had tested the TREO PRO GPS.
    It's standalone

you can find more details from
    http://www.treo8.com/bbs/thread-90704-1-1.html

Last edited by navyyang; 09/13/2008 at 07:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Navvyang, thanks for the link but I can't read Chinese. How did you verify that the GPS is standalone? Your pictures show the phone is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnick6 View Post
    That's an interesting question but why the f*** would you pay $600 for a GPS device? LOL.
    That's like asking why someone would pay $600 for a text messaging device.* It's one feature of many. Obviously, some features are more important than others, to some folks, and factor into their purchasing decision.

* - Although there are people who DO pay hundreds of dollars just to use the qwerty for texting, I don't think that's the general mindset we're dealing with in this forum.
    Last edited by west3man; 09/12/2008 at 05:57 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Navyyang, thanks for the pics showing GPS works. I have a question.

It looked to me as if there was a cell signal. Just to the right of the "E" there appears a signal strength that is 4 full bars. Is that not a cell tower signal reading?

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    turn the phone off.
    even better, take the sim out.
    What would you like me to read again? He tried it, it didn't work, but he's guessing it will. You think that's proof that there's standalone? That he didn't get it to work? I have no idea whether it does or not, but I don't think anybody else does either.
    I think Dieter's point is that it probably would have taken a long time to start up without cell tower assistance, but it did end up working. I think that it is true GPS and doesn't require a cell tower to work, but it used the cell towers to "boost" the time it took to acquire a signal.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    Navyyang, thanks for the pics showing GPS works. I have a question.

It looked to me as if there was a cell signal. Just to the right of the "E" there appears a signal strength that is 4 full bars. Is that not a cell tower signal reading?

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

The DATA come from COM4 and there are satellites.
    And in ChinaMobile network .there no AGPS service .

If you think the GPS not standalone . Maybe it's better others give you more information.

I just upload one screenshot

http://www.treo8.com/bbs/viewthread....3D1#pid1540603
    Last edited by navyyang; 09/13/2008 at 07:54 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12