Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just noticed reading WMexpert's 800w review that both Treo Pro and 800w have 256MB ROM, but Treo pro has almost 65MB less storage available to user than 800w. I am trying to think what is it that is taking 65MB extra in Treo Pro?? Am I missing something??

Here is the links to pages that contain the snapshot of memory specs:
    Treo Pro
    Treo 800W
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I am trying to think what is it that is taking 65MB extra in Treo Pro?? Am I missing something??
    My off-the-cuff hunch is it's the ActiveSync installer (the one that means the Pro doesn't need a CD). Anyone have a way to determine yea or nay?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    My off-the-cuff hunch is it's the ActiveSync installer (the one that means the Pro doesn't need a CD). Anyone have a way to determine yea or nay?
    That was my initial guess. But if ActiveSync alone is taking this much memory, someone better come up with a way to reclaim this space by deleting AS. 65MB is lot of space considering on my treo 750 I have only total 58MB storage space available.
    Perhaps there are apps installed? Did Palm say anything about pre-installed apps yet?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Perhaps there are apps installed? Did Palm say anything about pre-installed apps yet?
    We know about Sprite Backup, MS Voice Command, Java, Adobe Reader LE, Qucik GPS, and Steaming Media.

However, doesn't the 800w have those as well?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Microsoft bloat & HTC blob.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    800w comes from sprint and must contain some additional bloatware from sprint. Treo Pro is unlocked and therefore should not have any bloatware. As far as pre-installed apps are concerned, I dont think there is any that is not there on 800w. Most, if not all, are same. Even if not, it shouldnt take 65MB of space.
    Are they running the same version of the OS, or some sort of non-volitale back up? Maybe some differences in that could account for some memory differences. But 65mb? Gimme a break!!

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Are they running the same version of the OS, or some sort of non-volitale back up? Maybe some differences in that could account for some memory differences. But 65mb? Gimme a break!!

My unit bought in Singapore has 105.42MB with 93.96MB free.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    My unit bought in Singapore has 105.42MB with 93.96MB free.
    how much is it in SGD?
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    how much is it in SGD?
    S$938.00 or US$645.00

http://www.palm.com/sg/products/smar...eopro/buy.html
    Every time when I hear ppl talking about memory, I feel pathetic.

Iphone can easily upscale to 8G, 16G while other pda are still struggling for each M?!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    Every time when I hear ppl talking about memory, I feel pathetic.

Iphone can easily upscale to 8G, 16G while other pda are still struggling for each M?!
    The Treo Pro has more memory than the iPhone: 256MB vs 128MB.

You are confusing memory (RAM) and storage capacity. Apple publishes the storage capacity specs, but not memory. What is being discussed here is memory, not storage capacity.

With regard to storage capacity, the Treo Pro can be expanded (via micro SD) card to 32 GB. I believe this is more than the iphone.

G
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    The Treo Pro has more memory than the iPhone: 256MB vs 128MB.

You are confusing memory (RAM) and storage capacity. Apple publishes the storage capacity specs, but not memory. What is being discussed here is memory, not storage capacity.

With regard to storage capacity, the Treo Pro can be expanded (via micro SD) card to 32 GB. I believe this is more than the iphone.

G
    Hey GeorgeP, I guess you are mistaking. From PDADb.net's comparison, while Treo Pro and iphone 16gb version both have RAM of 128MB, iPhone has ROM of 16GB and treo pro has 256MB. I am not an expert, but seems like storage capacity is part of ROM. and we are talking abt ROM here. Since both treo 800w and pro have 256MB ROM, 800w gives user 169MB to use, while treo pro only gives roughly 105MB. So there is 65MB less storage capacity available to user, and thats what we are trying to figure out why??
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I am not an expert, but seems like storage capacity is part of ROM. and we are talking abt ROM here.
    Storage capacity is not part of ROM. ROM (read only memory) is not available for the user for storage. That is why it is called read only memory.

G
    Storage capacity is not part of ROM. ROM (read only memory) is not available for the user for storage. That is why it is called read only memory.

G
    Sorry but that is how is use to be. We use to have volatile RAM memory for user storage but about 3 or 4 years ago devices began to emerge that allowed users to store their pics, videos, documents, programs and databases on non-volatile ROM. One 256 MB ROM memory chip today in a PDA will usually contain 100 MB of system software, 1st party programs and 2nd party programs and then usually the other 150 MB is ROM space for the user. It is not partitioned. It is not separate in any way from what in the past has traditionally the untouchable ROM memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Sorry but that is how is use to be. We use to have volatile RAM memory for user storage but about 3 or 4 years ago devices began to emerge that allowed users to store their pics, videos, documents, programs and databases on non-volatile ROM. One 256 MB ROM memory chip today in a PDA will usually contain 100 MB of system software, 1st party programs and 2nd party programs and then usually the other 150 MB is ROM space for the user. It is not partitioned. It is not separate in any way from what in the past has traditionally the untouchable ROM memory.
    It seems like last year most devices had a single flash RAM as you describe, but recently I've seen more devices with specs that list both RAM and ROM. The specs for the Treo Pro say: Memory: 256MB (100MB user available), 128MB RAM. A couple reviews I have read confirm that. The HTC Touch Pro's specs are: 512MB ROM, 288MB RAM. This makes me think they have gone back to separate flash ROM and persistent RAM (which I would think might be better for battery life). Either way, the issue I was addressing was whether the 16GB storage in the iphone was comparable to the 256MB of memory (RAM, ROM, whatever). It is not. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

G
    It seems like last year most devices had a single flash RAM as you describe, but recently I've seen more devices with specs that list both RAM and ROM. The specs for the Treo Pro say: Memory: 256MB (100MB user available), 128MB RAM. A couple reviews I have read confirm that. The HTC Touch Pro's specs are: 512MB ROM, 288MB RAM. This makes me think they have gone back to separate flash ROM and persistent RAM (which I would think might be better for battery life). Either way, the issue I was addressing was whether the 16GB storage in the iphone was comparable to the 256MB of memory (RAM, ROM, whatever). It is not. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

G
    As far as I know all devices have separate RAM and ROM chips, it is just that up until about 4 years ago most devices only allowed users to store on RAM. Thank goodness that we store on ROM because loosing all your data is no fun.

The iphone is the same way. The 16 GB iphone has 2 partitions on the 16 GB disk. First and second party applications and system software reside on a 300 MB partition. These partitions takes away from the 16 GB available to the user the same way they do on the Treo Pro. On the Treo Pro there would be a partition that holds the compressed ROM image. The compressed image and the uncompressed image take up about 151 megs of the ROM which leaves 105 megs for the user. This is the same as the 300 MB on the iphone and the 15.XX GB of flash available to the user. One the iphone if you hack it and delete a few megs out of the 300 meg allocation it doesn't do you any good unless you reallocated the devision. On the TP a file deleted from the 151 would allow extra space for user programs. If the TP is like past devices there is a partition on the ROM that stores the compressed ROM image that is the same as a partition on the iphone. On past treos this partition was about 15 megs. On the Treo we unlock and edit this area when we customize the compressed ROM image the same way iphone users do when they jailbreak the iphone.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    As far as I know all devices have separate RAM and ROM chips, it is just that up until about 4 years ago most devices only allowed users to store on RAM. Thank goodness that we store on ROM because loosing all your data is no fun.

The iphone is the same way. The 16 GB iphone has 2 partitions on the 16 GB disk. First and second party applications and system software reside on a 300 MB partition. These partitions takes away from the 16 GB available to the user the same way they do on the Treo Pro. On the Treo Pro there would be a partition that holds the compressed ROM image. The compressed image and the uncompressed image take up about 151 megs of the ROM which leaves 105 megs for the user. This is the same as the 300 MB on the iphone and the 15.XX GB of flash available to the user. One the iphone if you hack it and delete a few megs out of the 300 meg allocation it doesn't do you any good unless you reallocated the devision. On the TP a file deleted from the 151 would allow extra space for user programs. If the TP is like past devices there is a partition on the ROM that stores the compressed ROM image that is the same as a partition on the iphone. On past treos this partition was about 15 megs. On the Treo we unlock and edit this area when we customize the compressed ROM image the same way iphone users do when they jailbreak the iphone.
    Wow, that was lot of insight abt flashing ROMs. Thanks for the info.
    Can you deduce what might be taking extra space of TP compared 800w given similar configuration and contents?? I just hope that extra used space could be figured out and reclaimed if possible.
    It is a guarantee that shortly after the TP is released that there will be a ROM on xda-developers that will give more than the 105 MGs available on the stock ROM. The developers/hackers at xda began offering ROM alternatives for treos when the 750 was released http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=322
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast