Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They store the Active Sync program in the Treo Pro instead of giving you a CD. That would be taking up some ROM space
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anonyME View Post
    They store the Active Sync program in the Treo Pro instead of giving you a CD. That would be taking up some ROM space
    And as someone pointed out earlier, what's using the rest?

Can someone with an 800w check the size of the ActiveSync installer folder on the CD? That should be at least roughly comparable.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    The Active Sync 4.5 installer I grabbed from the Microsoft site is 7.5MB. I'm hoping it doesn't need to download anything else, as my Windows install isn't internet-connected (using Linux right now).
    Last edited by ipsi; 09/18/2008 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I am sure it wont be an issue. I was initially put off by the lower amount of ROM available to the user but we will have several options to reclaim the space:

1) Delete unneeded files such as pictures, sounds, a stock video, unneeded files. (But check with the community before deleting files you are unsure about).

2) Download a ROM unlocker and remove unneeded cabs from the compressed ROM. (Make sure you know what you are deleting and how to edit the configuration text).

3) Or simply wait for a fast clean ROM from xda-developers.

Some users always chime in and give their opinions on cooked ROMs and they are right about being cautious. But now a days bricked phones are easy to resurrect. I have used a custom ROM on every device since the 650 http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=97527
    Are we getting any closer to figuring out what is taking up the extra space?
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm new to the winmo scene so perhaps someone can fill me in as I seem to be missing something. I don't see what the big deal about 60mb is when you can easily add microsd cards that give you several gigs of storage space. Is the built in rom significantly faster such that you would want to launch your applications from it and not from memory cards?
    Question.... for those who installed ActiveSync from the Treo Pro, is it a direct download/install or a link to download/install from Microsoft's website?
    Quote Originally Posted by lecture3waves View Post
    I'm new to the winmo scene so perhaps someone can fill me in as I seem to be missing something. I don't see what the big deal about 60mb is when you can easily add microsd cards that give you several gigs of storage space. Is the built in rom significantly faster such that you would want to launch your applications from it and not from memory cards?
    Bloated ROMs don't make this particular WM user happy, especially if one can't figure out what's taking up the space. I'd like to know if some of that space can be cleared out. It'd be one thing if this were an AT&T model , but this is supposed to be a clean unbranded ROM. Some apps run better in ROM than from the card and for those type of apps, it's good to free up space. 60MB is enough for several apps to fit.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    60MB is enough for several apps to fit.
    Yeah!! and like I said before, 60MB is more than the total user accessibe ROM available on Treo 750. Even if I cant reclaim the space back, I would like to know at least what is taking this much space on an unlocked supposedly clean piece of hardware.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Quote Originally Posted by lecture3waves View Post
    The cleaner the rom the faster and smother, (less compatibility issues), the devices is. If there are and extra 60 megs being used then processes may be running needlessly that would tax performance. If another device is operating without the extra installations than it may be unneeded programs. Palm and HTC may have put a few extra apps on there to be helpful for the average user. There is a file in the windows folder named mxip_initdb.vol that I have never seen before and it is 16 MB. I dont think we can nix it http://www.modaco.com/content/smartp...ip-initdb-vol/

The windows folder on the TP is 136 megs. All the other folders look to be normal. I wonder how big the windows folder is on the 800?

In my windows folder I have the vol file taking up 16 megs

Sprite 2 megs
    adobe 2 megs
    java 2 megs

XDA is just getting started on the TP. The Wiki is up but there isnt much action yet. http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...me=PalmTreoPro

I myself dont plan to monkey around with anything since 100 megs is enough room for me and this thing runs smoother that any device I've had before.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    The cleaner the rom the faster and smother, (less compatibility issues), the devices is. If there are and extra 60 megs being used then processes may be running needlessly that would tax performance.
    Could this be the reason the WMexperts review noted that despite a faster processor, the Treo pro is not as snappy as 800w???
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Question.... for those who installed ActiveSync from the Treo Pro, is it a direct download/install or a link to download/install from Microsoft's website?
    It's a direct install. When you first connect the Treo, it appears to the PC as a DVD-ROM drive and does an autoplay of the installer. After this, it resets to synchronize. You can select this later under Settings > System > PC Setup.

The setup program that runs on the PC installs ActiveSync and also points you at a trial of Outlook if you don't have it.

If you already have ActiveSync 4.5 installed, you can skip this and just set the mode to Synchronize. Oddly, while the install worked on one of my PCs, it caused another one to blue-screen before the setup even started.
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    Could this be the reason the WMexperts review noted that despite a faster processor, the Treo pro is not as snappy as 800w???
    I think this might have something to do with the 800 feeling more 'snappy'

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...37&postcount=7
    Just call me Berd.
    It's funny we still have very little idea what is using that 60mb's
    60 mb's just sitting there, and no one knows what for.
    Just call me Berd.
    At least 15-20 megs of it goes to a larger ROM (compared to the 800w).
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I just noticed reading WMexpert's 800w review that both Treo Pro and 800w have 256MB ROM, but Treo pro has almost 65MB less storage available to user than 800w. I am trying to think what is it that is taking 65MB extra in Treo Pro?? Am I missing something??

Here is the links to pages that contain the snapshot of memory specs:
    Treo Pro
    Treo 800W
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    At least 15-20 megs of it goes to a larger ROM (compared to the 800w).
    Ok so 65 - 20 = 45
    Where is it?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12