View Poll Results: If there was a 3.5mm headphone adapter for the Treo 800w would you buy it?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 84.93%
  • No

11 15.07%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Simple yes or no question.

Some say perhaps nobody has made one because they don't feel it's a money maker. Well let's see how many would be willing to buy.

Personally, I really WANT to go with all BT headphones all the time, but my issue is noise cancellation technology. Until that's available in BT headsets the 3.5mm jack will have life with me. So for that reason I would buy a 3.5mm adapter if available.

mabmarc and others have already proven it's doable to make this adapter.
    Its not like somebody could not easily design one. The problem will be hitting the minimum order quantities when you place the order from XYZ company in China. This phone's implementation of micro USB as it relates to the audio channels is a one off deal. Sedio would probably need to order 10 to 20 thousand units to get them at a price that would allow them to make their margins. You dont have to be an MBA to realize that they will never sell that many.

Your only hope for company to bring a 3.5mm adapter to market is for another popular phone (or 2) come along that use the same audio implementation of micro USB. Then it might be theasable for a company to bring an adapter to market.

Just count your lucky stars that the Centro uses the same battery or we would have never gotten the higher capacity battery either.:-)
    Last edited by rc46; 09/08/2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    A good suggestion Jabra BT3030. A BT 3.5mm jack .

I guess it would eat more battery, but I might pick one of these up.
    Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered, but why won't others on the market work with the 800w?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19222
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered, but why won't others on the market work with the 800w?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19222
    I don't know "why" they don't work, but I do know people have tried them and they don't work.
    If the price was right I would buy one, but seeing how $10 and a half hours time can get me the 3.5 adapter, I do not really think I would buy one. I like to mod things, so when I actually get time and my palm headphones I will be doing the mod posted before.

Nothing like a hands on mod!
    It seems most of the post about it not working refer to the Motorola adapter which just converts the usb to 3.5. The one I linked to had the jack after the microphone. Most, if not all of the hacks I have seen also put the jack after the microphone. Maybe it has something to do with why those without a microphone don't work???

I did not see a post about this one with the mic that it indicates it doesn't work or has even been tried. If I missed it, I apologize...just thought the one with the mic might be a different option.

Anyone tried it out?
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    It seems most of the post about it not working refer to the Motorola adapter which just converts the usb to 3.5. The one I linked to had the jack after the microphone. Most, if not all of the hacks I have seen also put the jack after the microphone. Maybe it has something to do with why those without a microphone don't work???

I did not see a post about this one with the mic that it indicates it doesn't work or has even been tried. If I missed it, I apologize...just thought the one with the mic might be a different option.

Anyone tried it out?
    The hacks don't have a "mic" it's the stereo headphones which are being altered and they don't have a mic. It's a coupling section that can be used to make the modification.

But if you get the one you linked to let us know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The hacks don't have a "mic" it's the stereo headphones which are being altered and they don't have a mic. It's a coupling section that can be used to make the modification.

But if you get the one you linked to let us know how it goes.
    I guess what I meant was that they incorporate the mic on the headphones that came with the phone and make the jack for the headphones "north" of the mic...at least that is how I was reading those posts...correct me if I am wrong.

I found one on ebay for $9.50 shipped....worth it to take one for the team...I'll update once they show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its not like somebody could not easily design one. The problem will be hitting the minimum order quantities when you place the order from XYZ company in China. T
    There are chips and a circuit board in the oem usb micro headphone adapter. This because USB micro only has between 4 to six usable leads.The adapter has to tell the 800w that connections used for power and data are now to be used for left, right, microphone and hang-up/answer switch.

Seidio would have to duplicate the boards to get it working just right. Users are simply cannibalizing their own 800w headset circuit boards

From a cost perspective this could be prohibitive. Also there could be legal (patent) issues without paying license fees to Palm.

It makes little sense for Seidio, with Palm itself abandoning several "one-time" implementations that occurred on the 800W. Especially if Verizon doesn't pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    because USB micro only has between 4 to six usable leads.The adapter has to tell the 800w that connections used for power and data are now to be used for left, right, microphone and hang-up/answer switch.
    Micro-USB has five pins. 1 power, 1 GND, 2 for D+/D- differential pair and 1 to indicate whether it is Type A or B connector. (See under "USB cables" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_usb).

Audio data carried over D+/D- pair would be carried in a universally agreed data packets within the purview USB data transfer protocols (see respective specs at www.usb.org). So what comes out of Treo800W micro-usb connector would not be the regular "right, left, gnd, microphone and hangup signals".

In case of Palm's headset, the conversion of the Audio_Data-over-USB to regular "right, left, gnd, microphone and hangup" signals is being done by this chip : CM108 (http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/USB/CM108).

Treo 800w not working with other "micro-usb audio adaptors" probably because Palm made it with some proprietory twist on universally agreed upon USB Audio Class specs (www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf) or may be there is some things not defined by this spec and left for manfacturer to decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    Micro-USB has five pins. 1 power, 1 GND, 2 for D+/D- differential pair and 1 to indicate whether it is Type A or B connector. (See under "USB cables" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_usb).
    Yes up to five pins which makes with the sleeve up to six leads (mini and micro USB implementation is six possible leads as often makers include the sleeve in proprietary use). So sadly wikepidia is pointless because like a lot of devices, Treo doesn't use the scheme described in wikiepdia. These "universal standards" are simply not used. That is why the USB standards organization has to keep changing the standards.

Treo 800w not working with other "micro-usb audio adaptors" probably because Palm made it with some proprietory twist on universally agreed upon USB Audio Class specs (www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf) or may be there is some things not defined by this spec and left for manfacturer to decide.
    I've done pinouts on a lot of devices (and posted some to the largest pinout forum on the internet for a number of years). "Universally agreed" is where the problem is.

In terms of the chip the eeprom programing can be proprietary, and covered by IP protection. I am not saying it is but merely listed any number of reasons why Seidio may have decided against copying its function
    I voted yes. I would purchase an adapter - I've just "upgraded" from a 700wx. I've had my 800w for a week now and I do hope that someday there will be a working headphone adapter for it. In the meanwhile I am using the original headphones to listen to my audiobooks.
    No.

I don't want yet another doo-hickey to carry around or worry about losing.

Either the phone has a 3.5mm or it doesn't, no silly adapters for me.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    For me air travel is the issue. I'm happy with BT the rest of the time, but I expect the airlines would frown on wireless headphones. Plus, those are the times I'd rather use my non-BT noise canceling headphones. I'd definitely buy an adapter, but I'll probably do the mod if nothing shows up before my next trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    because like a lot of devices, Treo doesn't use the scheme described in wikiepdia. These "universal standards" are simply not used. That is why the USB standards organization has to keep changing the standards.

I've done pinouts on a lot of devices (and posted some to the largest pinout forum on the internet for a number of years). "Universally agreed" is where the problem is.
    Well USB is supposed to be a standard and yes they keep changing the standards but usually it is for improvement either in functionality (e.g. USB-OTG) or speed or connector size (normal -> mini -> micro) and is usually suplementary to main spec. To be "usb-compliant", I would assume that manufacturer's will generally need to pass the compliance testing.
    Otherwise we would not be able to buy USB endpoint/hub devices and plug into various upstream USB hub/host devices.

In my opinion (and I could be wrong), Palm decided not to invest in ensuring whether Treo800w will work with any off-the-shelf "micro usb audio adaptor" or not. And that is a bummer for Treo800W owners. But then no device is perfect. I am mostly happy with my Treo800W.

Bluetooth audio adapter is great idea but that means yet another thing to charge. Its great that they added 3.5mm audio to Treo Pro. May be one of "Jon Rubenstein" changes. There is a article about him in this month's IEEE spectum. As per the article he was the guy leading the IPod development. Palm products under his leadership are supposed to hit market in 2009. Here is hoping to greater products from Palm.
    My want for an adapter is a little different. I have an aux input on my car stereo in my Element. I want to be able to feed audio from my 800w into the aux input. I tried the Moto T505 and it didn't work well. The FM signal isn't strong enough to be full quieting. There is quite a bit of hiss in the background which is not acceptable. So, I need a hard wired option. If they don't come up with something soon, I'm going to take a hard look at the Touch Pro.
    Well USB is supposed to be a standard and yes they keep changing the standards but usually it is for improvement either in functionality (e.g. USB-OTG) or speed or connector size (normal -> mini -> micro) and is usually suplementary to main spec. To be "usb-compliant", I would assume that manufacturer's will generally need to pass the compliance testing.
    Otherwise we would not be able to buy USB endpoint/hub devices and plug into various upstream USB hub/host devices.

In my opinion (and I could be wrong), Palm decided not to invest in ensuring whether Treo800w will work with any off-the-shelf "micro usb audio adaptor" or not. And that is a bummer for Treo800W owners. But then no device is perfect. I am mostly happy with my Treo800W.

Bluetooth audio adapter is great idea but that means yet another thing to charge. Its great that they added 3.5mm audio to Treo Pro. May be one of "Jon Rubenstein" changes. There is a article about him in this month's IEEE spectum. As per the article he was the guy leading the IPod development. Palm products under his leadership are supposed to hit market in 2009. Here is hoping to greater products from Palm.
    I'm on the same page with everything you write in the second two graphs.

With meant with the standards is that many companies are not paying attention to them.

Where you run into a logical problem is with the idea that "USB compliance testing" would mean anything to Palm which with it earphones and 800W would not care. They don't market the earphones as compliant with any USB standard. That's why they are not compliant with any usb standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    My want for an adapter is a little different. I have an aux input on my car stereo in my Element. I want to be able to feed audio from my 800w into the aux input. I tried the Moto T505 and it didn't work well. The FM signal isn't strong enough to be full quieting. There is quite a bit of hiss in the background which is not acceptable. So, I need a hard wired option. If they don't come up with something soon, I'm going to take a hard look at the Touch Pro.
    is your aux a 3.5 four pole female? If so it is going to be wired one of two ways?
    if a 3 pole 3.5 then it is going to be wired one way.

I am confused by your mentioning fm transmitter (moto t505). Do you or do you not have hard wired aux? This is really a different question and has nothing to do with palms engineering of their audio out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast