1.    #1  
    I've been fighting with myself on the best way to do this, so i thought I'd ask your opinoin....

What uses less battery? Push e-mail or the standard polling?

My guess would be that it would depend on usage. If you get tons of e-mail, PUSH e-mail would use up more battery, and if you don't get a lot of e-mail, polling every 2 or 3 hours would probably take up more battery (and push would use less).

Are my presumptions correct? I have Seven installed now, and am just wondering what to expect...
    I use PUSH email with 3 accounts on the devices I have had (700P, Centro, 800W). Have you tried the various options? My use of email and the need to have it immediately makes PUSH worth the battery life. I got all day with the Centro (Sprint extended battery) and 6 hours on the 800W. The email application I run on the POS devices: ChatterEmail and on the 800W: FlexMail.
    is there a paid option ...... i wish i could use some thing real professional
    What do you mean paid option? A third party middle company type of arrangement? Then you just gotta worry about something else going wrong, security issues, will they close shop, a server going down...
    When I had a Windows phone I used 1and1.com Pushmail Exchange account for $5 a month. Its a solid service and totally worth it IMO. There are a few free solutions but found them not to be as stable as a professional service.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I use PushEffect, which is an app that runs on the 800w. There's just the initial cost, I think under $20 (USD), so there's no subscription cost. There's no 3rd party server that you need to rely on.
  7.    #7  
    Let's assume that the alternative is polling e-mail every 2 hours. Here are 2 scenerios:

An e-mail account that only gets 2 e-mails per day.

An e-mail account that received 100 e-mails per day.

Assuming that all of the messages received come randomly throughout the day, am I correct when I say that push e-mail will use MORE battery in case #2 then normal polling, and LESS battery in case #1 with polling every 5 hours. Is this right, or is my logic flawed?
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Let's assume that the alternative is polling e-mail every 2 hours. Here are 2 scenerios:

An e-mail account that only gets 2 e-mails per day.

An e-mail account that received 100 e-mails per day.

Assuming that all of the messages received come randomly throughout the day, am I correct when I say that push e-mail will use MORE battery in case #2 then normal polling, and LESS battery in case #1 with polling every 5 hours. Is this right, or is my logic flawed?
    Your logic is correct but your thinking is off track in my opinion.
    I would figure out what your needs are. Then make your email decision based on that.

If the battery doesnt hold up for you with whatever method you choose get a different phone.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    A complaint I have about FlexMail is that even though it's set as the default mail client many of my programs open pocket outlook. For example, if I choose send from pictures & videos or choose send link from NewsBreak (RSS Reader) it opens pocket outlook with the new mail not Flexmail.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Your logic is correct but your thinking is off track in my opinion.
    I would figure out what your needs are. Then make your email decision based on that.

If the battery doesnt hold up for you with whatever method you choose get a different phone.

-Rob
    I'm thinking of only using the push e-mail for my consulting and personal e-mail that is usually more urgent. My office e-mail gets nailed by 100+ e-mails per day, so even with battery usage aside, I don't think I want my phone notifying me each time I get CCed on something, or I get spammed - so that will be polled every 2 or 3 hours.

Make sense?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Push effect may work fine for you. I'm using it now because of my Flexmail frustrations. You can assign push per account.
    You have a point there. I never noticed it 'cause I begin the application from within FlexMail. I will visit their web site and ask about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    A complaint I have about FlexMail is that even though it's set as the default mail client many of my programs open pocket outlook. For example, if I choose send from pictures & videos or choose send link from NewsBreak (RSS Reader) it opens pocket outlook with the new mail not Flexmail.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I asked in the forums and Alex said it's because those apps call the mail api directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    I'm thinking of only using the push e-mail for my consulting and personal e-mail that is usually more urgent. My office e-mail gets nailed by 100+ e-mails per day, so even with battery usage aside, I don't think I want my phone notifying me each time I get CCed on something, or I get spammed - so that will be polled every 2 or 3 hours.

Make sense?

Yes.

I use rules in outlook to avoid this (on treo and desktop) you can move email to certain folder automagically and avoid getting notified on your device.

It is an extremely powerful tool.

Good luck

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2