1.    #1  
    If you go to start/settings/Today and select the items tab, it will list different apps that you can add to the Today screen by checking the box.

Question, is there a way to add apps to the items list? For example, I installed the new Live Search (screenshot below) and would like to have it listed on the Today screen. Of course, just one search field would show up on the screen and then launch the app when you enter something.

Instead, the only choice is the Live Search that originally came with the 800w and when you use it, it launches a browser, and doesn't use GPS to set your location, you have to do it manually.

I'd like to be able to add the newer version to the Today screen. Any ideas on how to add it to the Today items list?

Thanks!
    The app has to be designed to utilize the Today screen. Otherwise, you cannot make any app to show up on the Today screen.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    The app has to be designed to utilize the Today screen. Otherwise, you cannot make any app to show up on the Today screen.
    I guess I'm a bit confused. When I go into start/programs/live search that seems to bring up a completely different app then the one that's listed in the Today's item list, which is called "Windows Live search" but appears on the today screen as simply "Live Search."

Compare the 2 screenshots, completely different. So what exactly is going on here? They both say "Live Search" at the top although the one on the right opens in IE. The one on the left is the one I want to use as a today shortcut but the one on the right is the one that shows up in the today's item list. Is the one on the right an older version? If so, you would think that the newer version could be added to the today items list, maybe via a registry hack?

The Resco Today Plugin will allow you to add it to the screen.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I guess I'm a bit confused. When I go into start/programs/live search that seems to bring up a completely different app then the one that's listed in the Today's item list, which is called "Windows Live search" but appears on the today screen as simply "Live Search."

Compare the 2 screenshots, completely different. So what exactly is going on here? They both say "Live Search" at the top although the one on the right opens in IE. The one on the left is the one I want to use as a today shortcut but the one on the right is the one that shows up in the today's item list. Is the one on the right an older version? If so, you would think that the newer version could be added to the today items list, maybe via a registry hack?

I *think* your confusion is Microsoft's fault. There are two similar programs on this "Live Search" and "Windows Live"..the screen on the right, I think, is "Windows Live" search function, whereas the one on the left is "Live Search"...you'd figure with all that money, MS could afford some more names for their products

I am no expert, but I think this is the root of your confusion.

As far as putting it on your screen, I am not sure you can do it out of the box. I am using Launcher and it puts small icons of several programs on the today screen. (Note, I understand the icons in this app are blocky in 128, I am using RVGA and they are fine to me)

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    The Resco Today Plugin will allow you to add it to the screen.
    Yes, that's one workaround but I was hoping to have it look like the screenshot below, where the live search shows up at the bottom and you can tap on it and enter the search data right on the Today screen.

The app shown launches the "older" version shown in my previous post on the right. I'd like it to appear the same on the Today screen but use the newer program as seen in the left picture of my previous post.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    I *think* your confusion is Microsoft's fault. There are two similar programs on this "Live Search" and "Windows Live"..the screen on the right, I think, is "Windows Live" search function, whereas the one on the left is "Live Search"...you'd figure with all that money, MS could afford some more names for their products
    Well, both my screenshots of the 2 different apps have the MS logo and "Live Search" at the top, they are identical. One is below the toolbar, the other is below the URL field.That's why I thought they are 2 different versions of the same app. The newest version (on left) has GPS locator while the other one requires you to type in your address.

Now, to add even further confusion, there is ANOTHER item in the Today list called "Windows Live Search" which requires you to sign in. See the 2 items at the bottom of the screenshot below. The top one is the "Live Search" that I was talking about, the bottom one is called "Windows Live Search" and requires you to sign in. So if they are both the same, why have 2 different plug-ins for it?

Well, I guess I'm just going to have to spend more time and maybe find a better launcher or just use it as-is. It's not like the world is going to end if I can't get it exactly the way I want it. Besides, if this is the type of ridiculousness that I have to expect from WinMo, I'll probably go back to Palm much sooner than I thought. I know, I know, it IS Microsoft, I should have expected things like this.