Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Having been an avid PALM OS user since the Treo 600, I am now debating on whether to go from a 700p to 800w on Sprint. I almost stepped up to the 700w from a 650, but didnt due to the resolution. Being I can keep a 320x320 resolution, Im tempted yet apprehensive to make the transition....any input???
    I was in the same spot you are now, I just dove in & got the 800w. No regrets, everything works, & looks awesome! Go ahead & try it out for 30 days & see if it suits your needs. Good luck...
    I just did it a month ago - from 700P to 800W. So far I am happy. The only thing I don't like is Outlook (on my desktop) instead of the Palm Desktop calendar. I suppose I will get used to it, but used the Palm calendar for many years and liked it a lot.

I suggest spending some time reading this forum to learn all you could possibly want about the 800W.

Really like the wi-fi and GPS. Plus I find the Sprint Vision service much faster on this device than on my 700P.
    I went from a 28 month old extremely stable Sprint 700p to a 800w 2 weeks ago.

Never had a WinMo device before this. I've been a Palm OS user for years and love it.

But, it's differnt. If you learn fast, it may be no problem adapting to WinMo.

I disliked the 800w at first, untill I realized that it had a hardware issue with the power/charge circuit and got it exchanged. Now it's working great.

However, in my opinion, PIE sucks compared to Blazer. No phone app like TakePhone for it yet. You have to close programs. Consider reg edits to change some strange behaviors that you dislike.

WIFI, GPS EV DO Rev A and A2DP is nice. Nice feel and form factor. It has a 1150 mAh battery, the 700p has a 1800 mAh battery. Some people dislike the battery life. But, when the battery gets conditioned, it will hold up better. I keep it plugged in at home and in the vehicle.

I also have Centro that I use on Sprint. I would suggest that you play with a 800w for 30 days. You can return it if you don't like it.

After 5+ years with the Palm OS Kyocera 7135 I've switched to the 800w. If you've ever used Windows on a PC, then it should be no problem adapting to WM. Of course there will be some apps that haven't made the transition (yet) but there seem to be plenty available.

The most resistance I had was from losing my cheap reliable data plan on Verizon and their better coverage in some situations I get into. But unfortunately my 7135 finally succumbed to age and Verizons diligence in trying to kill off any remaining few users of the plan so here I am back at Sprint.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    The biggest issue I've had to overcome was Outlook and active stink. I can't begin to tell you how many hours I've spent deleting dupes. I never had pim issues in all my years using POS. I finally bit the bullet and went with a hosted exchange server in hopes that would alleviate some of the issues.

The 800w itself is awesome. There are a few threads on here to help folks like us who are transitioning from POS to WM including "this WM app = this POS app" and the "POS support group" threads.
    Switched my self after a decade with Palm os and getitng used to it. I love the simplicity of Palm os but after awhile you realize that there is so much you cando wtih it. More stable . Internet runs better . Pocket Internet explorer blows away Blazer. the speed is amazing. I doubt I would go back to Palm OS . but ofcoiurse you canuse Style tap and run Palm OS Programs on the 800W . The bad thing is Outlook Sucks. Snapper , Chatter were terriffic and there nothing like that for the 800W right now.
    For email take a look at Flexmail - same basic functionality as ChatterEmail with both POP and IMAP. I use it extensively. I also use Style Tap - it is more stable than the Palm OS.
    I went from Palm Professional -> Visor Prism -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 800w. All before my Treo 800w was Palm OS. I have no regrets about the move. I've been able to find comparable applications and given the Treo 800w's additional capabilities I've been able to enjoy even more than before. I've also found applications that are made for Windows Mobile that I never had available to me for the Palm OS.

The only issue I've ever had is sometimes losing my ActiveSync connection, in which case I do the following:

On your device, open Activesync and click Menu - Options. Tap and hold your Windows PC and select Delete from the menu the appears. If there is more than one Windows PC entry, delete them all.
    On your PC, open Activesync and click File - Delete Mobile Device.

To prevent dupes, I always have the desktop overwrite the device, never "combine" if promoted, always let the desktop overwrite. For the first sync, load into an empty MS Outlook file, so the information on your device loads to the desktop.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    After a 600, 650 and 700P, I have cussed this 800W almost daily, but don't plan to go back. Like most, I love the simplicity of POS and there are, admittedly, some capabilities I miss (call recording, etc.), I DO like the 800W. My biggest complaint is that it's not much different than any other MSFT product - need to reboot to clean it out and lousy documentation. But since I've made a living of Mr. Gates' products for 15+ years, I guess I'll live with it.

As others have said, jump in for 30 days and listen to the experts on this site for guidance.
    Went from earlier Palm Vx to Treo 600 to 700P to 800w. I love my 800w. Though I still appreciate Palm OS efficiency and speed, I like the WinMo interface. Though for some tasks, it requires a few more keys, it has several benefits as well. I have no significant complains. As suggested by others, if you are a fast learner, jump on board. 30-day trial is a great idea also. TreoCentral forums are a great help to make the jump easier. Just be ready to read a lot. :-)
    I've been a Palm OS user since its inception. I'm now kicking myself for not making the switch to WM a long time ago. The true multitasking OS is light years ahead of Palm.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The true multitasking OS is light years ahead of Palm.
    Ditto that!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Go with Window. More software.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I disagree, at least from a quality software standpoint. I came from a Centro to an 800w and so far the Centro programs I had were much better than what I've found for the 800w so far. Much easier to find also.

Palm OS apps like:
    2Day
    4Cast (ok, there's weather panel, an excellent app)
    TakePhone (nothing even close to this that I've found in WinMo)
    Chatteremail (Flexmail seems to be the only alternative to Outlook in WinMo and it's not as good as Chatteremail.)

Palm OS apps are much more stable, at least from my experiences.

I'll keep trying though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I disagree, at least from a quality software standpoint. I came from a Centro to an 800w and so far the Centro programs I had were much better than what I've found for the 800w so far. Much easier to find also.

Palm OS apps like:
    2Day
    4Cast (ok, there's weather panel, an excellent app)
    TakePhone (nothing even close to this that I've found in WinMo)
    Chatteremail (Flexmail seems to be the only alternative to Outlook in WinMo and it's not as good as Chatteremail.)

Palm OS apps are much more stable, at least from my experiences.

I'll keep trying though.
    Have you checked out:

http://www.freewareppc.com/

and

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Maybe more WinMo software but not that are 320X320 capable. I know, patience is a virtue (or something like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I haven't checked out the first one but I have the second one. No doubt there is a lot of software there but so far I haven't found anything to replace all the apps I have listed in my previous post. Thanks for the other link, I'll look into it. I've mainly checked out the TreoCentro, Treonauts, Resco and Iambic sites, that's where I would find most of my Palm OS software.
    It does seem like there is more available for Palm. Then again, there seems to be an awful lot you can do on WM that you needed 3rd party software for on POS - and vice versa. It's a topsy turvy world making the switch.

I've found things for free that I had to pay for on POS, and things I had to pay for that were free on POS! Registry hacks make up for a lot.

So far I haven't regretted the switch, and haven't once been tempted to go back to my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Maybe more WinMo software but not that are 320X320 capable.
    Yeah, that is a definite nuisance. Hopefully things can get fixed before I move on to something else (new Palm OS)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast