1. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I am thinking about trying Mobile shell on my Treo 800 wm. Any problems with this program anyone having?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I've been running SPB Mobile Shell for a couple of weeks now, and overall I am happy with it. On my 800w, it is occasionally sluggish repainting the icons on the Today screen - but since installing Mobile Shell, I mostly avoid the Today screen. The other downside for me is that the interface - specifically the Menu screen - is not quite as customizable as I would like it to be; but if you are so inclined, it is quite hackable, there is a lot of information out there about how to hack it (be sure to make regular backups if you are going to hack it - one thing I tried froze the 800w to the point where I had to do a hard reset). My specific complaint is that you cannot (without hacking) change the main Menu screen to, for example, have 9 menus rather than 6, nor does it let you change the text and/or pictures on those main menu buttons.

On the positive side, it turns the 800w into what Windows Mobile really aught to be ... it is a great interface for the device, and I have not really noticed any problems with it.

There is a thread on SPB's forum with custom themes that people have developed ... you need to be careful with those though, as only a few of them were designed to work with a square (rather than rectangular) screen.

The bottom line is that, though it is not perfect, I still give Mobile Shell two thumbs up ... I've tried several different interface programs on my 800w, and Mobile Shell is by far the best of those I've tried.
    great interface....... easy to use......worth the money....
    I say it all the time. In my opinion the #1 program for any WM phone.
    yep.... i wish they shipped a few skins along with it too.... also make it a bit more customizable
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This program is pretty good!

But, how do you configure it such that when I push the END/RED button, that it turns off the screen, versus going to the default Today screen? I hate having to push the button twice to turn off my Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post
    To change the red phone key back to the same functionality as the 700WX (i.e. pressing red phone turns screen off instead of going to home) Change the following Key

HKLM\Software\Palm\Keyboard\

EndKeyAsHomeKey from 1 to 0
    Check the registry edit thread...
    or get a button mapping software
    Just loaded SPB Mobile Shell and I must admit - I'm loving this little program.

I just can't figure out how to show tasks in the Now screen. For that reason, I'm considering leaving the today screen mapped to the red power button - so it means I'll have to double tap the power button to turn off the 800W.
    Visor Phone, Treo 180, Treo 270, Nokia 3650, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 800w
    is there a way to increase the size of the font on the today screen? i'm also using the mobil shell, and the font is very small.
    LSU Tigers #1 Baby
    Im not sure if there is a third party app that you can change font size but I trried and tried to change the fonts size on the SPB today plugin and no luck. seems like it cant be done.
    Yeah , more skins or themes are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mobmadness View Post
    yep.... i wish they shipped a few skins along with it too.... also make it a bit more customizable
    I got it and like it, however the on-call screen does not work now, does anyone else have this issue?
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

"Go forth and DIE!!" - Nathan Explosion
    i have a feeling they dont want to make many code changes... may be it is just one programmer......
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalOverlord View Post
    I got it and like it, however the on-call screen does not work now, does anyone else have this issue?
    Yep - see the 'call display' thread. I've been trying some regedits to fix it, but no perfect fix thus far.

Anyone know of a plugin pin/unpin tool besides sk tools (ie, something free?).
    any difference in the functionality between the trial version and paid?
    No difference between trial and paid.

I've had this installed for almost a month and it's great. Not very customizable, but the only shell enhancement I've been able to find that was awesome 'out of the box' without a lot of configuration.

One thing that I did notice: When I have an incoming call, sometimes I need to hit the answer button 2 or 3 times before it actually answers. When I pusht he button it highlights it, as if it was pressed, but doesn't answer. I've isolated it to the SPB shell.

Even so, I love this program...i wrote a thread recommending it about a month ago, and would highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    Yep - see the 'call display' thread. I've been trying some regedits to fix it, but no perfect fix thus far.

Anyone know of a plugin pin/unpin tool besides sk tools (ie, something free?).
    forget it - I hadn't made sure that the type registry settings were consistent ('active call' and 'dial lookup' = 5, other active today screen items = 4). once I did that and did a soft reset, good as new!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimphand View Post
    forget it - I hadn't made sure that the type registry settings were consistent ('active call' and 'dial lookup' = 5, other active today screen items = 4). once I did that and did a soft reset, good as new!
    Thanks!!!! That worked!!!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

"Go forth and DIE!!" - Nathan Explosion
    hi i have a question about this shell, is there any way to make it absolutely replace the factory today screen? i installed it but whenever i exit out of the "now" screen on the shell it always goes back to my factory today screen.