Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I got a palm tro 800w with a bad esn. Can it be fixed or should I say flashed to cricket? I got the phone for $150 new in box. I have the basic flashing program, but no driver for it...
    Can some one point me in the right driection...

Thank you
    Showa72
    Should've checked the ESN before you bought. Congrats on your new $150 paperweight.
    Did you get it from Ebay?
    If you payed with paypal and the item did not said BAD ESN you can start a dispute. The same thing happend to me on ebay, on my case it did said BAD ESN but I found out it was actually stolen so I create a dispute and the seller agreed to refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by superman26 View Post
    If you payed with paypal and the item did not said BAD ESN you can start a dispute. The same thing happend to me on ebay, on my case it did said BAD ESN but I found out it was actually stolen so I create a dispute and the seller agreed to refund.
    Consider yourself lucky!

1st 800w purchased on eBay $275 plus shipping. NEVER SHOWED. Other items seller had at that time did not arrive to those that purchased them as well. Filed dispute. PayPal only covers $200. Great

2nd 800w purchased, paid $300 with free shipping. Guy says he shipped it out 2-9 day parcel shipping. Still waiting for that (Purchased on 8/23!!!)
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    It's not a paperweight, and it can be flashed to Cricket without much hassle.

Check out this thread for some basic info, and also where I first posted drivers for the DIAG mode (##3424#):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=18

Check out this thread for more unlocking info, and also where I first posted the exact memory address that contains the SPC:
    http://www.mobile-files.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=55

Or if you know what you're doing, the SPC address is 0x007962ED, and the drivers are attached to this post.

Enjoy!
    -Beezle
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'll buy it from you for $50, bad ESN and all.
    Showa72 - You appear to have been the victim of a scam.

This is just my opinion and I'm assuming the device was stolen, but rather than letting the thief feel they got away with it, by you finding some way to make the device usable, if possible you should seek a refund from the seller.

You should not have to deal with trying to handle stolen merchandise.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You should not have to deal with trying to handle stolen merchandise.
    If you buy stolen merchandise, you're the one who's left holding the bag.

For example, if you go to a pawn shop and buy a shiny new DVD player, the cops show up, and confiscate it to give back to the original owner, then you don't get a refund of your cash.

I sympathize with Showa, and if I was in his shoes I'd certainly be doing everything in my power to be getting my cash back. But ultimately you are responsible for what you are purchasing.

IIRC you can call Sprint with the ESN and they will tell you if it's a valid ESN or not. Smart thing to do pre-purchase, unless you're very confident it's a valid ESN, don't care, have a way around it, or are just plumb foolish.

(I've been in that last category more than once. It's not fun.)
    Yea Ebag333, I know. And as you mentioned, they should be doing all they can to get their money back if possible, that was my point and I hope that's what they've been attempting.
    Not a lot of sympathy here, he bought it knowing it was bad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170258058771
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Not a lot of sympathy here, he bought it knowing it was bad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170258058771
    If that's the one they purchased, I have ZERO sympathy.
    (Anyone thinking that's a harsh statement should log into Ebay and read the full product description.)

That Treo smells so hot (and the seller almost made it obvious), I'm smelling smoke just looking at this thread.
    Well, it's not entirely a paperweight, it's basically a $150 WM6.1 PDA. Though it's a bad ESN, you should still be able to use the GPS, even though it's assisted. I remember reading someone's post stating they were able to use the GPS on an inactivated phone, just as long as they were in the Sprint coverage area.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post
    It's not a paperweight, and it can be flashed to Cricket without much hassle.

Check out this thread for some basic info, and also where I first posted drivers for the DIAG mode (##3424#):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=18

Check out this thread for more unlocking info, and also where I first posted the exact memory address that contains the SPC:
    http://www.mobile-files.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=55

Or if you know what you're doing, the SPC address is 0x007962ED, and the drivers are attached to this post.

Enjoy!
    -Beezle
    Thank you Beezlewaxin, and thanks to the rest of you as well. The phones is not a paper weight, or stolen.

Beezlewaxin is there a driver out there for the internet and the pic. messaging?

I would have to say it was a good buy on my part.

Thanks again
    Showa
    I'm not really sure if it's really a good buy. I looked at the coverage map for CricketWireless and there barely isn't any

It looks like you will probably be roaming most of the time, so you need to pick a plan, which includes roaming. Also, looking at some of the coverage maps, they state "Tri-band phone required".

Maybe give Cricket 2-5 years to get better coverage, to basically utilize the 800w, but then the 800w will be outdated. We will probably be using Treo 900 or HTC T500 (Hoping that HTC buys out Palm )

In order for you to text or even access the internet, you will need to signup with a provider. No driver or app, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $will$ $give$ $you$ $that$ $access$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Showa72 View Post
    The phones is not...stolen.
    Can anyone explain a reason Sprint would invalidate an ESN other than the device being reported lost or stolen?

Showa72, have you tried activating it with Sprint? If so, what did they tell you? Why is the ESN bad? If you have not tried activating it with Sprint and you know it's not a stolen device, why not try activating with Sprint using the current ESN, to see what they'll say, since your initial post indicated that was your desire?

If the device was found to be defective by Sprint, I'm pretty sure they'd repair it and resell it rather than just dumping it as a bad ESN.
    lost/stolen is one reason - failure to pay bill would be another.

I have always asked for esn so I could verify it was clear to activate. In the rare instance they would not give the ESN I have either walked or asked them to meet me at a local store to check in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    lost/stolen is one reason - failure to pay bill would be another.

I have always asked for esn so I could verify it was clear to activate. In the rare instance they would not give the ESN I have either walked or asked them to meet me at a local store to check in person.
    So you're telling me, that if somebody does not pay their bill and Sprint locks out their ESN, which is understandable. That I can't buy that phone from that person and then go to Sprint proving to them that I am a totally different person who purchased the phone and wants to activate it for my own use, which is not at all understandable? Sprint still has options to collect their money from the person with an outstanding balance due, Sprint locking out the device when it has a new owner would only keep Sprint from making money off a new contract. That does not make any sense at all, can anyone explain if this is true what form of logic is being used by Sprint? Obviously if it's true, people take the device to another carrier and Sprint loses a potential new customer.

These devices are not being "leased" from Sprint, so a new owner not being able to activate a device locked out because a previous owner didn't pay does not add up.

And is there any danger in someone who is selling a device on Ebay just posting the full ESN to the public?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Pay with your credit card and you can always get your money back. Did you?

Got it for $150 is still not bad. You can use it for GPS and play games or read the bible on it and maybe surf on it with Wi-Fi.

I always ask seller if it got clean ESN and got at least 10 feedback or more.
    Stolen from a store's inventory perhaps? That would explain the "brand new" bit...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast