1.    #1  
    I am not sure if these links were posted before, but here comes two new reviews of palm treo.

By BrightHand:
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14332

By I started Something:
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...ro-850-review/

Look at the camera quality comparision shot in second review. I was really hoping at least the new 2MP camera would show correct colors, if not all the details, but no such luck I guess.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    so i noticed the following comments in the first review:

>> And the bottom has a not-quite-standard mini-USB slot, 3.5 mm headset jack, microphone hole, and stylus.

huh??? what does non-standard mean here?

>> The memory card slot, very well hidden under the battery cover next to the bottom right corner of the screen, can can house the largest microSD cards available today (16 GB) with ease.

too bad 16gb arent available till December..
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    so i noticed the following comments in the first review:

>> And the bottom has a not-quite-standard mini-USB slot, 3.5 mm headset jack, microphone hole, and stylus.

huh??? what does non-standard mean here?

>> The memory card slot, very well hidden under the battery cover next to the bottom right corner of the screen, can can house the largest microSD cards available today (16 GB) with ease.

too bad 16gb arent available till December..
    is it micro-usb? i think mini-usb is quite common in cameras and htc's...
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    hmm im very confused now on that port...

afaikafaikafaik $there$ $are$ $3$ $sizes$:

full usb - found on your PC
    mini usb - found on most htc cell phones
    micro usb - found on like bluetooth earphones and such

which one is on this phone?
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    You can find all you want to know about USB here - scroll down about halfway for the different connectors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

afaikafaikafaik $there$ $are$ $3$ $sizes$:

full usb - found on your PC
    mini usb - found on most htc cell phones
    micro usb - found on like bluetooth earphones and such

which one is on this phone?
    According the Palm web site:

Connector MicroUSB™ 2.0 for synchronization and charging
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    . . . /clip/ . . .
    Um,..
    actually the serial PORT is a mini-USB, as stated above.
    the MICRO item is the SD memory card.

The Mini-USB port is becoming rather common on cameras, GPS, and more phones.

The Micro SD is the removable memory card inside the device. (Mini-SD cards are also popular in cameras, etc.)

To answer the original question from tgwaste --
    I read the line "not-quite-standard mini-USB slot, 3.5 mm headset jack..." to mean that the Mini-USB is becoming more common that it is almost a standard.

hope this helps!
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bread View Post
    Um,..
    actually the serial PORT is a mini-USB, as stated above.
    the MICRO item is the SD memory card.
    Actually, they're both Micro--one of the reviews I read commented that Micro USB is still new enough that lots of people don't have compatible cables, while they do have Mini USB ones (from cameras, other phones, misc peripherals...) so they can't use those with the Pro.

Also, Palm used Mini USB a few years back on a handful of PDA models in the transition from the so-called Universal Connector to the Athena port. All the Zire models (except the 71) and the Tungsten E had it. Going back to it might have been taken as admitting a mistake.
    Only 65 megs for storing apps on internal????? Is that right? The info I read before said it had 256 for ROM which should leave at least 130 megs for the user.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Only 65 megs for storing apps on internal????? Is that right? The info I read before said it had 256 for ROM which should leave at least 130 megs for the user.
    its 100MB for user programs.
    -tgwaste
    its 100MB for user programs.
    The screen shot Long Zheng's review shows a screen shot with 105.55 megs or ROM and the OS taking up 36.38 leaving only 69.17 available for the user to store programs. Or am I misunderstanding the screen shot?
    The screen shot Long Zheng's review shows a screen shot with 105.55 megs or ROM and the OS taking up 36.38 leaving only 69.17 available for the user to store programs. Or am I misunderstanding the screen shot?
    That'd be RAM. :-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  13. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Actually, they're both Micro--one of the reviews I read commented that Micro USB is still new enough that lots of people don't have compatible cables, while they do have Mini USB ones (from cameras, other phones, misc peripherals...) so they can't use those with the Pro.
    The reviewer at Brighthand says that Micro USB plugs (as used on an E71) don't fit the Pro. So it might not be "standard" after all?
    i hope a full video review is coming for the treo pro.
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    That'd be RAM. :-)
    It says 69 free storage and 64 free Program.

I dont have a WM device right now but dosent that mean 64 free for RAM? That sounds good but 69 free for storage is ROM right? 69 free for ROM is kinda lousy.
  16. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    It says 69 free storage and 64 free Program.

I dont have a WM device right now but dosent that mean 64 free for RAM? That sounds good but 69 free for storage is ROM right? 69 free for ROM is kinda lousy.
    It is when I consider my i780 is currently running with 130MB free ROM and 80MB free RAM, loaded with 3rd party apps and all my PIM data (2800 appts 800 contacts) + Exchange and IMAP email accounts.

I guess they've wasted some space with the gimmickry of putting Activesync etc. in ROM instead of bundling a CD.
    I can only guess the person who took that screen capture in the review must have already had 30 MG's worth of apps installed on the device because the Palm site says:

Memory 256MB (100MB user available), 128MB RAM

But if you were going to get a screen capture of the memory why the hell would you do it after cluttering up the memory?